Internet explorer 7 taking ages to load

smbtnt

Established member
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I think I have been infected with a virus/spyware but not sure.

Problems:
i) takes ages upto 2-3 mins for Internet explorer to load.

ii) if I click on a link within IE 7 to launch another window the same problem occurs.

iii) Windows defender memory on windows startup.

iv) firefox installation crashes before it begins.

How can I get rid of whatever has infected my pc.

I am desperate and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I think I have been infected with a virus/spyware but not sure.

Problems:
i) takes ages upto 2-3 mins for Internet explorer to load.

ii) if I click on a link within IE 7 to launch another window the same problem occurs.

iii) Windows defender memory on windows startup.

Thanks

i thought that was normal for IE?

Lol

surley a good scan with a virus checker would find and delete any virus?

Matt

smbtnt,

HLRDDD.EXE is a worm
Trojan.Tooso.R - Symantec.com

There are several free (or low cost) AV and A/SpyW programs such as Avast, ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, A-Squared etc

Also, download "HijackThis" and "Process Explorer" to help you monitor processes that are running.

IE7 is a poor imitation of Firefox imho.

Finally, I hope you're not using that piece of cr4p called Vi$ta?

HTH

Have a discipline of using only one Virus checker and Internet protector.......

Do not use a freebee ones....

Nothing on this world is free....or is as effective as a paid ones...

I have been using Norton for last 16 odd years and can confirm that NOTHING has happended to any of my computers...

That is good enough for me....

.....Just use Norton 360.....

Zambuck,

What's the problem with AVG free antivirus / spyware / rootkit and ZA firewall free? The reason I ask is because I've been using these on 6 PCs [some networked] for as long as i can remember and never had any problems.

I originally used Norton but got fed up with (1) its tools modules causing problems (2) annual renewal fees.

I have found AntiVir to be fine for all my needs and never had a problem. I have also found that Norton uses so much resource as to be a real nuisance. In my view the free ones can be just as good as long as you know how to make use of them.

Paul

I have been using Norton for last 16 odd years and can confirm that NOTHING has happended to any of my computers...

That is good enough for me....

.....Just use Norton 360.....

I agree, I am using Norton until the sixty day trial is up then im moving back to sophos, those guys are great, got a virus that shut down all protection. I isolated and mailed off the offending file, the fix was in my inbox the next morning ...try getting that kind of fast personal service on a freebie piece of software.

Ok guys thanks for your input, I read the fix for the worm on can't get rid of hldrrr.exe, srosa.sys, wintems.exe - Safer Networking Forums but seems to complex for me, I will just format and rebuild machine.
2 more questions - can anyone suggest a good disk wiping utility that will for example get rid of pointsec.
I am not too pleased with Norton as that is what I had on my pc and still got infected.
I am looking for a Internet security software that is robust yet not too memory intensive. Apart from Norton and Mcafee. Also do they inculde spyware and trojanware? or does one have to buy this separately?

Also, download "HijackThis" and "Process Explorer" to help you monitor processes that are running.

IE7 is a poor imitation of Firefox imho.

Finally, I hope you're not using that piece of cr4p called Vi$ta?

HTH

Process explorer is a handy tool managed to kill some tat with that.

Left hijack this alone though. It said on the site you need to know what you are doing. :LOL:

Process explorer was ok although SVhost I have about 6 of those running when I open up the process explorer couple under system and the rest further down list anyone know if all 5/6 need to be running.

:) you can see why i left hijack this alone now.. ??

Zambuck,

What's the problem with AVG free antivirus / spyware / rootkit and ZA firewall free? The reason I ask is because I've been using these on 6 PCs [some networked] for as long as i can remember and never had any problems.

I originally used Norton but got fed up with (1) its tools modules causing problems (2) annual renewal fees.

OK...here is a link that says what is included in free and/or paid up versions....

AVG Free Advisor - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

Again see the list in Zone Alarm below.....

ZoneAlarm by Check Point - Award winning PC Protection, Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware, Identity Protection, and much more.

In both see what is covered and what is not covered....unless you pay....

The software that protects your machine has got to do two things.....Protect at source.....or remove the culprit....If prevention is good then one should not have to remove something later....

In my opinion the freebees do not cover everything.....as rest of the items are available only when you go for paid up versions.....

More importanly it is the support as well....But when software is good you do not need any support...!

I have found AntiVir to be fine for all my needs and never had a problem. I have also found that Norton uses so much resource as to be a real nuisance. In my view the free ones can be just as good as long as you know how to make use of them.

Paul

Actually Noron 360 is not too resouce hungry at all.....I can see the difference from Norton Internet Protector 2007 to this one......

But I know there are some huge horror write ups on web about 360 etc.....But my experience says somethings elase...

I do update windows regularly.....I do not use any freebees.....I do not use windows Firewall or any other windows proetctors....Have never done......Just Norton and tht's it....

Norton 360 at £45/- odd pounds for three Licenses it has to be a bargain and most cost effective software....

I agree, I am using Norton until the sixty day trial is up then im moving back to sophos, those guys are great, got a virus that shut down all protection. I isolated and mailed off the offending file, the fix was in my inbox the next morning ...try getting that kind of fast personal service on a freebie piece of software.

....Never had to ring Norton for anything or any help on 'removing' anything.....

....If job is done properly by the proection software then that should be it.....

Symantec Home & Home Office Store

Last edited:
....Never had to ring Norton for anything or any help on 'removing' anything.....

....If job is done properly by the proection software then that should be it.....

Its the new ones out in the wild that you have to be careful of zam, you will not be protected from those if your pc is infected, and these companies are very grateful when you find a new one for them to add to the protection.

If you dont mind me asking how much is Norton total protection, sophos 3 in 1 is free for me ...corporate licence.

sorry, I see the price in your previous post :eek:

Its the new ones out in the wild that you have to be careful of zam, you will not be protected from those if your pc is infected, and these companies are very grateful when you find a new one for them to add to the protection.

If you dont mind me asking how much is Norton total protection, sophos 3 in 1 is free for me ...corporate licence.

Norton 360 is about £45/- from Costco....Typically £59/- for three PC's....Norton updates probably about few times a day actually if not more....it is all done in the background...

See link....

Symantec Home & Home Office Store

Sophos free version probably does not cover parts in link below for which you need to pay.....

Sophos small business solutions - anti-virus, firewall and anti-spam

Last edited: