Interesting article on spread betting

B

Black Swan

TBH I thought the market place, in terms of active traders, was bigger than this article suggests. But we're a right clever bunch of over-educated nerds... :D

New research gives a snapshot of the UK’s investment industry, and shows that punters are a demanding bunch

SPREAD BETTING has been in the UK for more than a decade now and it has been growing rapidly in popularity among the private investor community. But just who is your typical spread better, why do they use spread betting and what exactly do they think of all the providers battling it out for market share? The answers to all these questions can be found in a new report from Australian research firm Investment Trends, which conducted the first ever survey of British financial spread betters and contracts for difference (CFDs) traders on behalf of the spread betting industry in the UK.

So just how big is the financial spread betting industry? Only 83,000 spread betters have placed at least one trade in the past 12 months, which is fewer than you might have thought. And of these 83,000 spread betters, only a tenth also trade CFDs. (The number of traders who only use CFDs is estimated to be 10,000.)

Tim Howkins, chief executive of IG Group, says: “This survey shows that although the industry may have a strong and growing client base, there’s still plenty of potential to introduce many more retail customers to this innovative form of trading.”

And who are these spread betters? Well, unsurprisingly they are likely to be male. Just 7 per cent of active spread betters are women – an issue the industry is well aware it has to address if it wants to grow its client base. And most spread betters do so part time: only 4 per cent of spread betters consider themselves to be a professional trader. Indeed, there are as many retired people or students spread betting as there are professional traders. The majority either work in finance (15 per cent) or in computing (14 per cent).

And on the whole, financial spread betters tend to be highly educated individuals with 35 per cent having an undergraduate degree and 16 per cent a masters. More than 10 per cent of CFD traders have an MBA qualification and they are also more likely to have a graduate qualification than spread betters.

So why are these traders using spread betting and CFDs rather than using a stock broker or an independent financial adviser? Well, according to the research, the three main reasons cited by active spread betters are access to markets that would otherwise be unavailable, the ability to go short, and exploiting leverage to accelerate investment returns. Only 22 per cent of financial spread betters say that they use the product in order to hedge their existing investments, confirming spread betting as a predominantly speculative tool. Spread betting’s tax free status in the UK was also a consideration for 49 per cent of spread betters

http://www.cityam.com/markets-and-investments/i5yjswhkfk.html

I wouldn't be surprised if a high percentage of that 7% of women who spread bet are winners (articles elsewhere - including thread on t2w- suggest female traders tend to be more successful than the male...no big macho ego in the way perhaps).

fook me, all those city index clients not realising the founder had to bail them out less than a year ago.

Serves them right :D

Im surprised by how few people spread bet.. fewer than 100,000? Seems low. My question would be, has anyone who uses spread betting been nailed by the Inland Revenue? It's "tax free" but would that also apply to someone making their living off it? The taxman is pretty thorough these days ..

If the taxman were to tax profits then you would also be able to offset losses against tax and as most lose then it is just not worth it. Also bear in mind that the SB company itself will pay corporation tax.

Paul

Im surprised by how few people spread bet.. fewer than 100,000? Seems low. My question would be, has anyone who uses spread betting been nailed by the Inland Revenue? It's "tax free" but would that also apply to someone making their living off it? The taxman is pretty thorough these days ..

Can be as thorough as they like but until either a Tobin tax is introed or it loses its status as "betting" you can't be touched..end of.

83,000 refers to the last year.
Over the last 10 years it probably runs into a few hundred thousand distinct people who have placed at least one bet, most would have lost money and given up.
The vast majority of SB accounts which are opened never place a single trade.

There are probably a million or so people with spread bet accounts in the UK, most are dormant.

Also bear in mind that the SB company itself will pay corporation tax.
Paul

As well as betting duty. And income tax and nics from the SB firm employees salary and bonuses. And tax on the dividends paid out to shareholders.

The tax man does very well out of the spread bet industry, most of it paid by losers.

If they were to ever go after the 1% of spread bet punters that make big profits they would probably see a fall in tax revenues as fewer people would be interested in doing it.

The only authority with the true data on the collective P/L of spread betters is the Inland Revenue, and I imagine they've concluded it's better for them not to tax it, presumably because the punters are collectively down money each year. Having said that, government institutions are up to funny things these days, what with the NS&I 3.95 pct 1yr bond.. they've gone from miserly rates for savers to out and out ridiculous. Our government must be struggling for ways to raise cash.

The only authority with the true data on the collective P/L of spread betters is the Inland Revenue, and I imagine they've concluded it's better for them not to tax it, presumably because the punters are collectively down money each year.

This seems like a non-argument to me. It's spreadBETTING and therefore isn't taxed. IG, CMC, LCG and the rest are the glorified bookies raking off the money, a proportion of which goes back to the government. If the UK follows the US and makes it illegal, we'd be able to trade DMA futures more easily/cheaply, perhaps resulting in a higher percentage of profitable clients.

The only authority with the true data on the collective P/L of spread betters is the Inland Revenue

Why is it ? As it does not have to be declared then the IR will have no data.

Paul

Hmmm, you make a good point. Premium bond winnings are also not declared, but then of course the government knows exactly what it pays out there.

I would think HMRC gathers information on all types of betting to make its decisions, even if it can't know exactly what the numbers are..?

Hmmm, you make a good point. Premium bond winnings are also not declared, but then of course the government knows exactly what it pays out there.

I would think HMRC gathers information on all types of betting to make its decisions, even if it can't know exactly what the numbers are..?

I wonder if its possible for the information to be collected from the spread betting companies by Tax office ?

The tax office is at the best of times hugely under resourced. As such, in my view, it is highly unlikely that they will put resource into analysing something which they are not able to gain revenue from.

Paul

The tax office is at the best of times hugely under resourced. As such, in my view, it is highly unlikely that they will put resource into analysing something which they are not able to gain revenue from.

Paul

Bingo, I'm due to meet with a few of the major SB firms over the next fortnight can we use this thread as a 'forum' to line up any questions we may have for them? Not just on the tax issue but on any other issues/subjects? Perhaps in an attempt to slay or substantiate a few urban myths? TIA :)

Bingo, I'm due to meet with a few of the major SB firms over the next fortnight can we use this thread as a 'forum' to line up any questions we may have for them? Not just on the tax issue but on any other issues/subjects? Perhaps in an attempt to slay or substantiate a few urban myths? TIA :)

Ask them what proportion of bets are actually hedged.:)

They're unlikely to tell you, but I'd like to know how much they make on their overnight rolls. E.g. in FX, they charge 0.0055 pct above and beyond the bid or ask of market tom/next (this is what I was told when I asked them). This equates to 0.5 pip in AUD/USD or 0.8 pip in GBP/USD pure profit, every evening at 8pm when they roll all open positions. This must add up to a significant number over the course of a year, and is very much a concealed fee.