Interactive Brokers A.P.I.

Re: 24/5 automated trading with IB

what is FIX and how to used it, interested in finding ways to avoid the auto logoff.

There's lots of stuff on the net about FIX but many brokers will restrict it' s use to larger clients, e.g. with extra fees or a requirement for your software to be certified as OK to connect to their systems. It is, however, definitely the way to go if you want to be broker independent.

The FIX Protocol Organization > Technical Resources / Specifications
QuickFix: Open Source FIX Engine
ValidFIX - FIX Analyzer

Hi Team,

I have experience with IB, with place the order by following my own conditions. I was developed my own application.

Has anybody with an Interactive Brokers account any experience of using their API in an automated trading system.

For those not so technically minded API stands for Application Programming Interface - it is a little box of tricks that allows programmers to integrate IB's trading platform into their own applications.

For example one could use Excel, with some programming, as your trading platform, placing two big buttons on a spreadsheet BUY and SELL!!

In my case, I need to "knock up" a small and private website which will allow me to trade thru IB from behind a firewall at a clients office. Don't worry I will not be trading actively but I do need to be able to enter orders and check executions etc. and have realtime access to data and my strategies.

In time I will consider creating a fully fledged automatic trading system: give it the rules, set the position sizing algorithm, insert the risk management rules and .... off we go.

Anyone's experience of the technicalities or other useful advice on automated trading would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the Lime Brokerage in the US offer similar functionality.

Re: 24/5 automated trading with IB

There's lots of stuff on the net about FIX but many brokers will restrict it' s use to larger clients, e.g. with extra fees or a requirement for your software to be certified as OK to connect to their systems. It is, however, definitely the way to go if you want to be broker independent.

The FIX Protocol Organization > Technical Resources / Specifications
QuickFix: Open Source FIX Engine
ValidFIX - FIX Analyzer

I believe that IB can offer FIX connectivity with a minimum funding level of $25k (to satisfy the SEC day trading rules) and $100 per month minimum fee. There is an initial setup fee of $500. OP: message me if you are interested in connecting via FIX.