In the money???

nancy7505

I was watching some SLV Nov13 19.5 Calls.
They just expired in the money, but are only worth $0.52. I thought if an option was in the money it is worth at least $1. Can someone explain this to me?

No, the call option is in the money if expiry px > strike px. You might be confusing the concept of ITM with the minimum distance between the expiry px and the strike that triggers automatic exercise (which is, generally, $0.01).

Closing price for SLV was $20 and the strike price as $19.50.
Where can I learn about ITM?

Hi Nancy,

Martinghoul is correct. For call options, if the option strike price is at least $.01 less than the closing price of the underlying, the option is ITM, and for most trading platforms will likely get assigned sometime over the weekend after Options Friday. For Put options, it is just the opposite, if the closing price is $.01 less than the strike price, then the put option is in the money. If you own the option contract in question, and do not want to get assigned, you should have had an exit strategy ready to enable you to get out of the option so as not to risk being assigned. Usually most retail traders, such as us, are not into options to buy or sell stock; most often looking to profit from price movement of the option as the underlying changes, and to get out before expiration...usually, but not always....look at investopedia.com for some basic options information using their search tool.