IG's TV advert

Just been watching IG's new TV advert — rather reminiscent of Marks & Spencer's latest flashy job. Apparently if you want to be a trader, you have to have a stubble beard + run through steamy volcanoes in totally inappropriate kit + be able to swim underwater without scuba gear + run across the desert in your bare feet. At least, that was the quick impression I got.

Is this where the 80% go wrong?

Nice ad though – and at least they got the bit right about "living the trade". Our business is not for "dabbling in" but that is what I suspect a lot of the people watching the advert will be encouraged to do. Should be good for IG's bottom line.

Last edited:
Just been watching IG's new TV advert — rather reminiscent of Marks & Spencer's latest flashy job. Apparently if you want to be a trader, you have to have a stubble beard + run through steamy volcanoes in totally inappropriate kit + be able to swim underwater without scuba gear + run across the desert in your bare feet. At least, that was the quick impression I got.

Is this where the 80% go wrong?

Nice ad though – and at least they got the bit right about "living the trade". Our business is not for "dabbling in" but that is what I suspect a lot of the people watching the advert will be encouraged to do. Should be good for IG's bottom line.

wtf, the end of trading as we know it, surely!

what channel was it advertised on?

Kind of an unfortunate analogy with the man diving into deep water fully clothed don't ya think? :)

Surely the ad should depict some middle aged, slightly sweaty, slightly balding guy, sat at his desk in the office doing £1 per point on SPX500. Then it should depict him losing 8 times on the bounce blowing £200, walking into a meeting with his boss and him being unreasonably annoyed at being told his performance at work is deteriorating and people are complaining that he is not turning work around quickly enough.

Cut to him sitting on the tube home thinking to himself that today he turned a corner on his performance. He consoles himself that he is a winner.

Final.scene is he walks through his front door to be greeted by his wife, shouting at him whilst holding up this months credit card bill asking him where £3k went and who the f*** is IG Index?

Last edited:
Surely the ad should depict some middle aged, slightly sweaty, slightly balding guy, sat at his desk in the office doing £1 per point on SPX500. Then it should depict him losing 8 times on the bounce blowing £200, walking into a meeting with his boss and him being unreasonably annoyed at being told his performance at work is deteriorating and people are complaining that he is not turning work around quickly enough.

Cut to him sitting on the tube home thinking to himself that today he turned a corner on his performance. He consoles himself that he is a winner.

Final.scene is he walks through his front door to be greeted by his wife, shouting at him whilst holding up this months credit card bill asking him where £3k went and who the f*** is IG Index?

Brilliant :D

Maybe next there will be Health ( wealth) warning - like with cigarettes

ie Smoking can Kill - could be Trading can do your head in - leave you broke - and wreck your health - but less than 1% commit suicide

Also on TV adverts - we need a strapline like - Did you know over 75% of traders lose money ?

Lol

One from Open Traders from a couple of years ago.

They should do an ad for an hour with someone stuck staring at screen waiting to click a mouse.

'Kin 'ell Just seen this, have you been hacking my webcam !!!

Good morning all.

This advert has coincided with the launch of the IG stockbroking service so it looks like it is aimed at investors rather than spreadbetting. I have added stockbroking to my IG account and the platform is almost identical to spreadbetting.

Ian