If you had $100m...

MrGecko,
This is the most important reason why everyone who has money to invest in the stockmarket should try and learn to invest it for themselves.I will never put my money with a fund manager again.
Why should you have to be 90%/95% invested at all times. If I had money in a fund and they were in cash for the last year or at least the last six months I would not be looking for them to be sacked, I would be giving them more money. This rule where by you must be invested or you lose your job is no good to the average job investing their money.

I can see where you're coming from Breadman, but I can also understand why there are these conditions: if I am trying to raise money to float a fund, I need to tell people what I intend to do with it. It isn't enough to say "I'm going to put it in the best deals I can when I see them", because everyone is saying that. The differences are what you do in the "downtime"...

I guess it's a bit like benchmarking returns... doesn't make sense on the face of it, but the system would need a total review of how performence is measured of you took it away.

Good posts Lucky.

:)

p.s. thanks for showing me how to write in BLUE

Ditto that, thanks Lucky for showing me how to write in PURPLE...

err, wasn't there sthg about that at some point in the hazy past...

:LOL:

I will never put my money with a fund manager again.
Why should you have to be 90%/95% invested at all times. If I had money in a fund and they were in cash for the last year or at least the last six months I would not be looking for them to be sacked, I would be giving them more money. This rule where by you must be invested or you lose your job is no good to the average job investing their money.

I very much agree with that. Why does that rule actually exist for the mutual fund industry ?

Hedge funds don't have to do that, they can do what they want including being fully in cash or shorting, with what they want, when they want.

The only reason I can think of why mutual funds must be invested all the time is because the alternative would be an implosive market meltdown down to zero if they - who collectively are far huger than all hedge funds combined - were to try and offload their enormous holdings at the same time when it's becoming obvious that we are entering a bear market.

The only reason I can think of why mutual funds must be invested all the time is because the alternative would be an implosive market meltdown down to zero if they - who collectively are far huger than all hedge funds combined - were to try and offload their enormous holdings at the same time when it's becoming obvious that we are entering a bear market.
[/B][/color]

AFAIK, neither Hedge funds nor Mutual funds / unit trusts / whatever have maximum cash %'s as part of their legislation - instead, they are incorporated into the prospectus of the fund - A mutual fund will state which asset classes it will invest in, whether it is looking for growth or income, whether it will be domestic / international / emerging market / and so on and so on... one of these conditions is often a maximum cash % that can be held, just like a Bond fund might not be able to hold more than 10% junk, or an equity fund more than 15% invested in one sector.

Reactions: BSD
my mutual fund/unit trust will invest in cash and gold only for the next 10 years. i will be in cash until the price of gold goes between $550 and $700 then i will go 100% gold. when it doubles in price I will start moving back to cash.I think my chances of outperforming most mutual funds/unit trusts will be very high.

Great point Lucky.

In addition to what I've already said so far, I would want to take a view on some emerging markets. They got pummelled recently, so I think some equity in India would represent good value. As for sectors... I know that cars are going to fly off the shelves... any ideas?

p.s. thanks for showing me how to write in BLUE

Sectors??? HHmmmm My Sector call right now would be Semi'sConductors and Tech. Individually I like WFR, NSM, ADI, GLW, and TXN. They have some great balance sheets.

Internationally- I would use some form of a Contrairian Pivot system. With the volitility play the spikes.

MrGecko,
This is the most important reason why everyone who has money to invest in the stockmarket should try and learn to invest it for themselves.I will never put my money with a fund manager again.

CNBC came out and Said only 7% of money managers whose benchmark is the SP500 have outperformed this YTD. 7% of Fund Managers outperformed the SP500's -34% return. WOW thats just unheard of.

These fund managers should reconsider their Diversification policies or charters on their investment fund.

a taxi driver told me today that his son started a gearbox repair firm in cork this year, and is out the door with jobs. a mercedes garage near him, went from selling 40 cars a week on average early this year to 1 a week by now, thats some difference! in a reccession or recessionary times, people make do, get things repaired, go without if needs be, new cars being a non essential item is definitely somewhere id short. as for longs, definitely budget food sellers (aldi was mentioned, not sure if they are public??) capital will be the king in this new world, debt as we know it in places like the US and UK will not continue, therefore consumer items will be bought much less by people who can't afford them. all those credit card debts have to come home to roost at some point, and a lot of people wont be able to buy their plasma screen tvs after that!

to conclude, agree with utilities, staples, food, consumer products that are known for low prices. in an odd way property, but only after it halves in value, british land for example, mcdonalds owns lots of land. semi conductors agree, anything that will make businesses more efficient (the likes of intel, dell even nokia, should alomost be considered staples even utilities nowadays as most businesses need these companies to keep going) some banks no longer have a business model even if the government backs them up, anglo irish bank for example, needs to find another way of making money thats not highly leveraged loans to builders, if they cant, they're gone.

Got reminded about this from another thread...

I would want to stick some cash in telecommunications providers, or Fibre-Optic cable, or something like that.

I reckon this will be massive in the future - telecommunications firms will trade bandwidth with each other - for example:

BSkyB: "Oi, ITV, sell us some peak time 100mb/s fibre optic bandwidth, will ya? We need some for Celebrity Love Island"

ITV: "OK, but you're gonna have to pay - we've only just hedged against Ant and Dec"

BBC: "We can make a market in weekday peak time @ 200 - 250"

and so on and so on. Watch this space, you heard it here First (well, second, ços I just posted it on another thread)!

100mil of London good delivery gold bars would go down nicely, buy up a bit of govt debt aswell (t bonds). for the long term..

T-bills in the long run is a bad idea. Historically bonds give a real return of around 0.5-1% while equity gives around 6%.

It seems to me this is a good time to get into an index fund if you're looking to invest for your retirement.

Right now I think I would hold some of the more sound tech companies 'til about the end of the year. Early next year I do believe I would roll it all into gold, platinum, and oil.
After that I would buy that little island I've had my eyes on. :cheesy:

P.S. You're all invited to the party when I sign the papers for the island.:clap:

Last edited:
Dividends???

* I reckon utilities are a good bet at the moment, as a sector. Fuel prices have fallen out of the sky, which will have improved the margins. Coming into winter, with consumer spending on the way down, I reckon utilities (electricity, Gas + water) are a good bet. They are still valued on sky high costs and armageddon sentiment.

Gecko,

Whats your take on Dividends right now? In and out of the Utilities?

FYI -Jim Cramer last night on CNBC backed you up on this sector as well.

Been a while, but...

I think there is some excellent value in High grade corporate and municiple bonds...

Case for corporates: While the stocks may not look attractive, I think some Legacy bonds might be worth it - particularly consdering the FDIC insured ones. A simple Litmus test would be "Corporate Bonds that pension funds are adding their equity stake in". As credit conditions improve, the debt is going to improve, while the stock is destined to a bear market for at least 1yr plus (pick number out of the air - the forseeable future, call it).

I would avoid G'ment debt like the plauge. It just doesn't pay enough, even the long end of the curve (30yr swap rate at circa +280 ??!!)

Municiples, well because they're worth it. Very High credit quality, and yielding more than UST's is good enough for me (incidentally, I heard - 2nd hand - about a Port Authority making an almighty c0ck up of a recent $300m auction recently - what would otherwise be good debt turned into a wholly embarrasing situation, purely through the ineptitude of the muni; aside from them., they're attractive as a sector).

Been a while, but...

I think there is some excellent value in High grade corporate and municiple bonds...

Case for corporates: While the stocks may not look attractive, I think some Legacy bonds might be worth it - particularly consdering the FDIC insured ones. A simple Litmus test would be "Corporate Bonds that pension funds are adding their equity stake in". As credit conditions improve, the debt is going to improve, while the stock is destined to a bear market for at least 1yr plus (pick number out of the air - the forseeable future, call it).

I would avoid G'ment debt like the plauge. It just doesn't pay enough, even the long end of the curve (30yr swap rate at circa +280 ??!!)

Municiples, well because they're worth it. Very High credit quality, and yielding more than UST's is good enough for me (incidentally, I heard - 2nd hand - about a Port Authority making an almighty c0ck up of a recent $300m auction recently - what would otherwise be good debt turned into a wholly embarrasing situation, purely through the ineptitude of the muni; aside from them., they're attractive as a sector).

I like your muni call, especially right now in US history. Do you think the US gov right now is going to let Any Muni fail??? No way they would! Very safe play there. If I had 100m I would load up

For my sector bond picks I would say the Transports and High Yield Junk.

Transports
FDI, BNI, CSX, etc... They are solid balance sheets with YTM +600 basis points to treasury. I dont know what FedEx is rated but I know they are on solid ground and are also notorious for buying back debt. And BNI has the Buffett backstop as well.

High Yields
A somewhat Contrairian play here. But some Junk bond funds are trading like 50% default rates even though historically 3-8 is norm. So If I had 100m I would leg into anyone of the major ETFs (JNK, HYG, PHB) for a LongTerm Hold

Last edited:

High Yields
A somewhat Contrairian play here. But some Junk bond funds are trading like 50% default rates even though historically 3-8 is norm. So If I had 100m I would leg into anyone of the major ETFs (JNK, HYG, PHB) for a LongTerm Hold

For your HY Bond funds here's a quick

RISK MANAGEMENT!

Monitor Total Returns Quarterly (Dividends + $ Appreciation)
If fund has a profitable quarter, do nothing til next quarter.
If fund has a loss for the quarter, Sell it and move to cash until the fund has a positive quarter again.

The reasons for this is two fold. 1-When HY Bonds default they take time to get collected through courts (mostly 25 cents on the dollar get recouped) 2-HY Bond Funds cant move the now defaulted paper and their money is tied up for a while.

So with these type of funds, trouble takes a while (1-3 quarters average) to work through and or recoup some of their losses.

i will definatly buy lots of gold with it, get into the ETF gold funds.

also i will get some etfs for the mining sector and others in commodities.

will short the dollar is well.