(i think ) i have a gap trading strategy but...(frontrunning?)

actually im reading timothy sykes book where he traded gaps back in the tech bubble, in manipulated penny stocks he and many other bought right before the close and held for a gap up as boiler rooms made tonnes of buy orders from their fooled clients, and he got away with it, i don't know if that counts as illegal. and i don;t know if the SEC have changed their policies in the 10 years since then

hmm, any other thoughts out there? id say 90% say it's fine, need to figure out why 10% didn't

well basically i have been figuring out some setups and have (almost) figured one out, i think.
i don't care if you say ' secret setups dont exist' if you are here to say that don't bother posting.

I'm certain that large traders use this particular strategy/formula/setup and it causes quite significant price moves in stocks.

My worry is whether or not to continue with this; as im sure that those large traders would be using dark pools, surely that is non public information, and trading such a setup would just be like front running?

is it illegal to trade this setup ? if so, is it illegal to wait until after the block trade has occurred, and then trade with it, even if it has a tendency to reverse market direction?

You appear to not understand what a dark pool is or when those trades get reported. There is a difference between a block trade between 2 parties and what happens in dark pools. So - if your assumption is "block trade" = "dark pool", then you are very much mistaken.

As the rest of your post hinges on this large trader/dark pool action you think you are identifying, it's pointless to discuss such things until you go off and learn a little more about the stock markets and the various ways trades can occur off book.

You appear to not understand what a dark pool is or when those trades get reported. There is a difference between a block trade between 2 parties and what happens in dark pools. So - if your assumption is "block trade" = "dark pool", then you are very much mistaken.

As the rest of your post hinges on this large trader/dark pool action you think you are identifying, it's pointless to discuss such things until you go off and learn a little more about the stock markets and the various ways trades can occur off book.
wll i meant off the book orders, and im certain that traders will be trading this setup off the book

This is a wind up. What does it matter what someone else does or how they are trading it? Have you ever been arrested because someone else broke the law, or are you only arrested when YOU break the law? If it is a setup based on something in a chart, then the information is available to everyone. You trading on that info better than others is not illegal. If you have inside information that others don't, that isn't publically available, that's different.

You're certain that traders will be trading this setup off the book...and so what? I'm certain that every day there will be some people going long when price falls to a big round number. It is meaningless.

No, it's not a wind up, he's an annoying idiot

how else can i figure stuff out? i'd rather look a twat than be one, and i don't care about my 'e-rep' whether that's as a cool guy or a ****ing idiot, i also don't care as much as i used to when some guy over the internet hates my guts arabian....

Last edited:
You will never be in a position of any liability whatsoever unless you work in a firm or unless someone who works in a firm is giving you direct information. On that basis alone you should be able to see where you stand.

You will never be in a position of any liability whatsoever unless you work in a firm or unless someone who works in a firm is giving you direct information. On that basis alone you should be able to see where you stand.

no and no

I agree if you are purely trading on some form of pattern,strategy it can not be illegal unless you are given insider knowledge. After all, you are just doing what everyone is, trying to make money from the market. If you have an edge or perceived edge based on some form of chart pattern,price action, full moon or whatever then so be it. It can not be illegal.

Good luck:clover:

Yeah he's right, it is illegal. Even if you don't take the trade, you're now an accessory to an illegal chart setup. In fact it is even illegal for you to post it here on this board. Or discuss it in any way. I've reported you to the proper authorities.

Since we're on pointless questions, why were all the FAQ thread's posted in at 7:49? I think it is a conspiracy.

Since we're on pointless questions, why were all the FAQ thread's posted in at 7:49? I think it is a conspiracy.

The FBI bumped all themthreads in order to knock this thread (and its illegal content) down the list

finally; why?

If you want to believe that it's illegal and are just waiting for someone to tell you that it is (confusing irony with reality) to cement your opinion, then I would think about pushing back your trading a while.