HOW to trade succesfully

I wouldn't tell everyone!! Nothing to be proud of....... Being a Scally Manc!

What a combination... You trading to save up and make the much desired move to the better half the country? The South!

hmmm...lake district, northumberland, pennines, north york moors...the most beautiful part of england.

or the flat, over-priced, over populated south (or even 'the centre of the universe as long as you're in it' called london).

i've lived in both, and i prefer it up here :)

Gentlemen, as i originally said that this article is not a solution, but a suggestion. The comments are noted, and i offer my apologies for putting up the mis-info on Jesse Livermore ( not mine as i pasted it from another source).

Anyhow, with all the instant market info we have, the magnificent charting packages, the instant price feeds and the abundance of trading methods or systems widely available to all of us, it is still evident that there are only a handful of individuals making a living from this profession.

Speaking from personal experience, I have found that trading is quoted by the so called sellers of systems, seminars, and trading manuals as quite easy to learn. To an extent, over the years i grasped the general workings of the market and the various systems from manuals and seminars. It was a slow march. In the end i took the plunge and went live.

Going live was an experience which sends your pulse racing, when you can see your money going up and down in seconds. When i paper traded the same method it was easy, no emotion was present. As the weeks went by i was looking at ways to change my system instead of giving it time to perform. within 6 months i had lost half of my trading capital. That's when i stepped back and realised that it wouldn't be long before i go bust. So i totally stopped trading. Stopped to analyse every trade i had made, and what went wrong.

I found that I had placed too much emphasis on the money, didn't look at it as a tool of my trade but got attached to the losses more and took my profits too soon, not as intended by the system. The system that i had decided to use had no chance of any success, because i was changing the rules everytime i had a few losing trades.

It has taken considerable follow through and time consuming analysis of my execution methods, and own personality, not to mention having a rethink on the emotions in play when you trade live. I have succeeded in employing a stop loss level and profit stop level, as soon as i enter a trade.to stop the fear and greed factor creeping in. I am very happy when i reach my weekly target of average 30 points on the daily ftse. It may not be much but its systematic execution, with less emotions and stress attached to it than my original strategy. (if you can call it that)

I intend to follow in this direction for quite some time. Whether i will make a living out of this only time will tell. It seems that the enemy is within us, but it takes a hell of struggle to find it, admit that its in us and then have the courage to take remedial action.

Don't tell them that Paul, the market needs the cannon fodder.

It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of having a natural aptitude to do it, or of not having the natural aptitude to do it.

You can talk yourself blue in the face, and explain everything very clearly, and it is very strange that some are able to grab it and do it and others can't however hard they seem to try.

I have always been puzzled by this curious intangible obstacle that besets a lot of people, perhaps you can enlighten me as to the root cause of the problem.

This is a topic of discussion that has been going on for years amongst successful traders without being able to pin down the real root cause.

I am just as mystified as the others.

I don't believe you:D:cheesy:
You must remember the days when you were just plain hopeless........then there was light! when those bulbs went off...and more offf
So you must know.
Its as plain as the nose on your face...so don't say I don't tell you everything!:devilish:

I don't believe you:D:cheesy:
You must remember the days when you were just plain hopeless........then there was light! when those bulbs went off...and more offf
So you must know.
Its as plain as the nose on your face...so don't say I don't tell you everything!:devilish:

Did Socrates ever really leave? My radar is picking up all sorts here.:cool: