How to short JGBs

• Welcome to the newest version of Trade2Win! We're running on the latest version of, what we consider to be, the best forum software available today. Our aim was to keep things as familiar as possible but focus on improving speed, security and usability. We hope you like the result! Please post your questions, comments, suggestions and feedback in the What's New and Feedback Thread - Sharky.
Apr 26, 2011
I am negative on JGBs in the long term. What would be the best way to profit from a rise in JGB yields? What would be the most suitable strategy for the individual investor such as myself?
1. A CTA fund that shorts JGB futures.
2. Could I sell short an exchange traded note? JGBL and JGBT are two traded on the NYSE
3. A self directed futures account.
I am a U.S. citizen, so spread betting and CFD trading is not an option to my knowledge.
I am a 20 year old engineering student with an interest in the markets. As such I do not have a lot of experience. I am looking at diversifying my father's retirement portfolio.

Martinghoul

Feb 3, 2009
It's tough, as there are few alternatives that don't involve frictions etc... I think you may find a couple of threads here that might have smth on this.

Apr 26, 2011
Thank you Martinghoul. Yes I have read a few threads on here about this subject. In fact that is how I found these forums. I have read a few articles recently about corporations as well as the Government Pension Investment Fund no longer purchasing JGBs. Also the earthquake/tsunami will cause more government spending. So we have decreasing demand which should continue as the population ages and an increasing supply as Japan rebuilds. I am currently leaning towards the CTA route, but not before I learn more about the risks.