How To Record Off the Net?

timsk

Legendary member
Are there any clever techie types out there that can provide a simple solution that will enable a non techie type to record (burn a CD, ideally) of a BBC Radio 4 programme? My wife's a teacher and wants to be able play a programme to her students in class. I've done a Google search, downloaded various stuff and am rapidly disappearing up my own fundament. Time to turn to my fellow traders for help!
Thanks,
Tim.

Are there any clever techie types out there that can provide a simple solution that will enable a non techie type to record (burn a CD, ideally) of a BBC Radio 4 programme? My wife's a teacher and wants to be able play a programme to her students in class. I've done a Google search, downloaded various stuff and am rapidly disappearing up my own fundament. Time to turn to my fellow traders for help!
Thanks,
Tim.

I have a mini disc player ( remember them ? ) hooked up between my PC and the speakers. I can record anything that the PC outputs to the speakers.

Is that what you mean ?

dd

Have you tried realplayer Tim, that will make recording of clips, works with youtube ok, not sure it will work with BBC stuff though. Anyway check it out.

update: just tried it and record is disabled :(

dd's solution would be good (y)

Last edited:
SonicStage records anything your PC plays. Just turn off all other sounds (eg Outlook, MSN) and voice software eg Skype (or your wife's pupils might have a giggle esp if you're flirting with your mistress :D ).

Hi Tim

Is the programme currently listed on this page? BBC - Radio 4 - Listen Again page

I've had success in the past (several years ago) with RMrecorder, a quick search shows RMrecorder has been integrated into wmrecorder. RM Recorder - Record Real(tm) Streaming Video and Audio

It records up to 5 mins in the demo version, WM Recorder Download

If you don't want to pay or don't know how to 'workaround', PM me the name of the show and i'll capture and upload it somewhere for you. It'll most likely output to an mp3 file, then it'll just be a case of burning that to an audio cd, most versions of Nero will do the conversion for you.

Hope this helps, it feels nice to give a bit back!

Shoulders

Cheers everyone for your tips and advice. I struggle and struggle with technology, get VERY frustrated and, when I eventually find out what to do, I wonder why it seemed so hard and took so long. It's easy when you know how and this little exercise is a case in point. In the end it was simple; it turns out that I could in fact download the file 'Law In Action' direct from the BBC web site - which I thought I couldn't do when I wrote my plea for help! Anyway, Mrs timsk is a little happier than she was and says thank you for your help!
;)
Tim.

Sorry. Had a brain-fade moment... the software is Replay Music. You get 25 free uses. (SonicStage is the transfer software for my Sony mp3 player.)

tim,

Do you have the mp3 conversion sorted?

There's an excellent program called burrrn, burrrn.net - The home of Burrrn and Mr QuestionMan Downloads
(download Burrrn 1.14 beta2)

Then in notepad,
paste:

Code:
PERFORMER "Radio 4"
TITLE "----"
FILE "law_20080715-1600.mp3" MP3
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 05:00:00
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 10:00:00
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 15:00:00
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 20:00:00
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 25:00:00
save the file in the same directory you downloaded the mp3 file to and make sure you give it a .cue file extension.

Then launch burrrn, and open the .cue file.

This will 'track' the cd and the tracks will be gapless!

tim,

Do you have the mp3 conversion sorted?

There's an excellent program called burrrn, burrrn.net - The home of Burrrn and Mr QuestionMan Downloads
(download Burrrn 1.14 beta2)

Then in notepad,
paste:

Code:
PERFORMER "Radio 4"
TITLE "----"
FILE "law_20080715-1600.mp3" MP3
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 05:00:00
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 10:00:00
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 15:00:00
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 20:00:00
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 25:00:00
save the file in the same directory you downloaded the mp3 file to and make sure you give it a .cue file extension.

Then launch burrrn, and open the .cue file.

This will 'track' the cd and the tracks will be gapless!
Hi noshoulders,
I appreciate your efforts to help - but all this is way over the top of my head, I'm afraid! I'm a total luddite; I only have to see the word 'code' and switch off instantly! Anyway, I've managed to simply download the file and burn it to CD and it's fine - thanks for your input all the same. I'm thinking of changing my signature to something along the lines of 'the chasm between techie and non techie is always much larger than the techie imagines'.
;)
Tim.

Thanks,
Tim.

Tim,

I use this Sound recording tools: Total Recorder 7 - captures any audio from the Internet, records audio from CD, microphone, line-in, converts any sound formats to WAVE file. Phone recording system. It will do almost anything including record from BBC "listen again" which due to legal restrictions they have made difficult to record easily for non-techies. Can put .mp3 direct which means you can get meningy sound onto a CD.

There's a demo version available. You'll probably find the cheapo version (about £12 when i bought a couple of years ago) will do you. I upgraded to the Pro version and have yet to use all the features. Excellent support from the publishers.

DB