How to get registered as a CTA in the UK

Best bet may be to approach one of the clearing comapnies such as ADM or Marex and explain that you wish to manage money, they will then offer you a clearing arrangement and if you do enough volume through them will rent you a cheap desk and offer you their umbrella regulation.

TWI,

Maybe you could throw some light on Marex's umbrella regulation.

I enquired about this. They were reluctant to disclose anything via e-mail but invited me for a meeting (too far).

I can only assume umbrella regulation means you would be a Registered Rep of Marex (the only other option is an Appointed Agent which has as much value as an Avon Rep). Of course, I'd expect one would also be paying for desk, feeds, clearing and settlement, etc.

This would appear similar to the "Arcade" arrangement but with the advantage of being able to bring in clients. This is all guesswork.

Grant.

very different. You have your own business but ususally you would be in their building and put any clearing through them. they would charge you for desks etc. but all charges would be as agressive as you could get anywhere. Main thing is the regulation they can provide in order for you to trade client funds and so you would be regulated by Marex and FSA would consider you as Marex employee . You need to do your FSA exams.
Note, this is only if you want to trade client funds.