How much risk is too much?

How much of your acc you risk per trade?

• Total voters
You can check me out if you want, I'll send you my account name, I'm in the top 20 of 139,000 players.

That's excellent JTD - in top 20 out of 139,000 players.

When I said I can't imagine - I was referring to my experience with demo account trading - I wouldn't trade the same way using my real account.

So your upside potential isn't limited? I.E. you haven't said, "At this point I'll take my profit"? Do you not take the same risk with all trades? E.G. 2% of capital?

I think if I were doing this I would need to adhere to a strict set of rules, i.e. this much capital and no more; otherwise I would end up chasing my losses by doubling up, and end up out of money very quickly. Surely the temptation is there, when you're confident in a trade, to stake more than you know, in your rational thoughts, you should?

Okay and what if, hypothetically, your stop loss comes during the middle of a massive sell-off? You could, in theory, lose more than 2% of your account, correct?

I was talking only about the amount of money I was prepared to lose - a potential cost of that trade. And for that trade potential cost was £1,000 or 2% of the account.
About potential profit - it was limited. For this trade I had 2 targets, so following the price action I closed 1/2 when my 1st target was hit and moved stop to break even at the same time. Once the price hit 2nd target I closed the remaining 1/2. One can calculate risk/reward from all this, but I don’t pay too much attention to it.

Agree with you 100% about adhering to strict set of rules - easier said than done. Anyway still hoping I may get there one nice day - at the moment still struggling with the discipline issue.

Please note this is my style of trading and it may not be suitable for different traders - some of them don’t use stops, average down, no limit on upside etc.

You asked about extreme situations - well I mainly trade eur/usd which is the most traded fx pair. FX market is the world’s largest financial market with $4 trillion traded every day.
In that trade I was short eur/usd - betting on euro falling against the dollar. My stake was £15.15 per pip which came to total exposure of £15.15 x 14338 = £217,220. So in the worst case scenario - if all of a sudden usd becomes worthless I would lose £217,220. In that case the current system would most likely cease to exist - so no point worrying too much about it.
Sometimes there is slippage during important reports (you can check the chart tonight at 19:15 BST - FOMC statement), but again I avoid trading around that time.

Thanks to the members who participated - so out of 9 most popular choice is 2% or 5%

Not any more. At this moment the most popular choice is 5% among the 17 kind members.
Thaks again - I'll try 3-5% for the best set ups and see how it goes. For the normal trades I'll stick to 2% and for the aggressive entries 1% or less.

Not any more. At this moment the most popular choice is 5% among the 17 kind members.
Thaks again - I'll try 3-5% for the best set ups and see how it goes. For the normal trades I'll stick to 2% and for the aggressive entries 1% or less.

Do the maths, your setups are unique to you, so you need unique MM.

Last edited:
weve all done 10% and more hoping for that bounce so as long as youve got the cash dont worry

weve all done 10% and more hoping for that bounce so as long as youve got the cash dont worry

Thank you for the advice GOLD.

Your posts are worth their weight in gold - 4 posts in 10 years.

PS One of the oldest T2W members chose 5%.

Attachments

• vom.JPG
    vom.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 151