How Much Dosh Can I Make?

I couldn't agree more grobag. It's more important to concentrate on limiting your losses than worrying about how much dosh you can make.
You can make as much dosh as you want as long as you use decent money management. That is the key.

Wideboy

Re-the sexist remarks here about the alleged differences between men and women:
When I am trading it's the only time I don't think about ***.
Is this normal or do I need help?

Wow! I used the word spelt one letter after r, one letter after d and one letter after w and I got asterisks! Clever site.
I promise not to experiment with different words.

"When I am trading it's the only time I don't think about ***. "

Er... does *** mean *** ?

If so, I should see a doctor or maybe a psycotherapist.

Thank you, I thought maybe I was poorly not thinking about gender whilst trading.

yes, it's possible

You may get a good week where you make 50 - 60%. Especialy in times like this.

I risk 7.5% of capital per trade.

Main points are - strong strategy tested over 3 - 4 months historicly and in real time. It can be simple or complex as long as it made money and continues to make money.

- Discipline. Usualy learnt the hard way unfortunatly.

Don't be in a hurry. If you can make 2 - 20% per week over a period of 6 months you're in a very strong position.

Make sure your strategy allows for regular breaks on a daily basis. Lunch, gym, music or whatever.

Developing a strategy that suits your personality / individuality is the key to success in this business.

if you are good and have a natural ability then it would be possible. im currently averaging 18% ROI per day. but as im a student that equates to about £1.80 which isnt very good once i get some capital i should be sorted. Although im amking my money through spreadbetting. ive averaged 18% for 6 months although i have times of higher return and negative return. remember never risk more than 5% although when i started i had to risk 20% a trade which isnt nice. to begin with paper trade until your absolutly confident in your abilities as a day trader.

Hope it works out for you

TraderPattern said:
If you are serious about trading, start with at least £30000 and count on losing £10,000 of it within a few months. If you are not turning the corner by then, then reconsider whether trading is for you.

100% true! TraderPattern tells the truth.

Small daily returns are what you have to go for, otherwise you will be swiped out sooner or later, especially in these times of increased volatility. The ideal, in my opinion, is to spend as little time in the market as possible.

options. yes be positive to traders, but It would be unfair to be unrealistic when somebody is risking their capital?
I have read my post but cannot read where I have slagged anybody off? perhaps your note was not addressed to me.

The main reason why most traders do not talk about money is simply because 90% lose money. The aim is to be in the 10%. Learn your set up, and be the best at that one set up, one trade a week is all it takes to be succesful. I did it that way and others the same. God bless those who become profitable under two years, I certainly didnt. Think of it like a College degree. Limiting your losses during the learning curve is all I can beg of new traders. Good Trading

£100 a day from £1000 is not consistently possible.

However if you are starting of, as 'new' to trading then your objective shouldn't really be making it 'large' it should be to 'survive' in these markets. Survival will build your experience along with confidence and that would put you in a good position if you want to succeed. CT formula absolutely Bull****!

I think the question should be, How much of my £1000 am I likely to lose before I crack this trading game and become profitable on a consistent basis ?

Imho the only way you progress in trading is by making and learning from your mistakes, and the only mistakes I ever really learnt from were those where I lost significant sums, or consistent losses which added up to significant sums. I find it difficult to see how anyone without sufficient capital to allow them to trade through these mistakes can make it. I certainly couldn't have done it starting with £1,000, looking back on my trading diary I would have lasted about 6 weeks.
Dave

I use the sammy chau trading system and trade the NASDAQ. I have US$300,000 in an account with Etrade, and I use their Lightspeed platform. I risk 100% of my captial, usely making 10 trades per day and am averaging about 1.5% profit per trade.

So on my capital of US$300,000 I am making between $100,000 and $200,000 per week in profits. As with any trader I have had big losses as well. My biggest loss to date is over $20,000 in one day.

Imho the only way you progress in trading is by making and learning from your mistakes, and the only mistakes I ever really learnt from were those where I lost significant sums,

I totally agree with this. I only started making profits after I had some pretty bad losses incurred through my own stupidity. Like not getting out at the stop but waiting for it to come back my way, only to see it go hurtling off in the wrong direction.

This taught me very firmly to cut my losses.

To make £100 per day with £1,000 of starting capital you would be spreadbetting on the Dow or Nikkei. These have ATR's in excess of 100 points so you have the movement.

Then you place £2 per point and try to make 50 points per day.

Sounds easy huh.

You have small capital but you need a high return. Therefore you have to risk a fairly large portion of your capital on every trade. You decide that this risk level is 10% or £100.

Your stop is therefore at 50 points in order to have a 10% risk level.

This gives a reward to risk ratio of 2:1.

You would need to be very good at spreadbetting ( or very lucky ) in order to survive with this strategy. My guess is you would be wiped out inside a month.

10% per day is a joke.

1% is very good, 2% exceptional, 3% and you are the Worlds best trader.

JonnyT