How does this P/L Day calculation work??

Deez_@$$ets

I was just idly glancing over this tutorial page from TD Ameritrade, mostly just to see how it relates to the TD Ameritrade platform and interface, but then I realized something here doesn't make sense. I thought I already knew this basic stuff... :confused:

Here's the example scenario they're using to illustrate P/L:

For example, let’s say that on the first trading day of the year you start with $100,000 in your account and no open positions. You then buy 500 shares each of ABC and XYZ stock, both of which are trading for $10.00. Assuming both stocks immediately go up $1, your profit/loss would look like this:
1613606544577.png

Now let’s say the following day, shares of ABC drop 50 cents per share, and you decide to sell it. Meanwhile, the XYZ share price was unchanged. Your P/L would like look like this:
1613606576558.png

Isn't the P/L Day wrong? Why isn't it ABC = -$250; XYZ = 0; Combined = -$250? o_O
It said that at the end of the first day, the share price was $11, and your total portfolio value is 101k. If, on the second day one of the stocks drops, then you've lost value relative to the prior (first) day. And if the other stock held steady, the P/L Day should be 0, no? So why is it still calculating P/L Day relative to the initial purchase price?