How Did This Happen

CalTrade

Junior member
25 3
Today I purchased a stock that was trending up. At the time that I submitted my order, the price was charting at 27.35. I put in an order for 6 shares. I get the confirmation that I purchased 6 shares for $34.27. I'm already down -20%

I am wondering if one of two things happened:

1. The spread between ask and bid was huge, and I failed to notice
2. I may have bought an American exchange fund using Canadian currency and when I was looking at the chart, the 16.35 was in American funds, and I didn't catch on to that.

Any thoughts? I'd like to know what happened so I can avoid this mistake in the future. I am with a low cost broker (although it's a big bank), so there is no virtually no support. Last time I called, they had me on hold between 9:30- am and noon and I finally hung up. Anyway...

Thoughts?

Thank-you

Edit- I found out how it happened. It was option 2 above. However, I guess it's all relative. I had to pay the exchange rate, but obviously, if the stock ends up having strength, it will all come out in the wash. I left this thread up , in case anyone stumbles in the same way i just did.
 

MasterOfCoin

Experienced member
1,228 479
Today I purchased a stock that was trending up. At the time that I submitted my order, the price was charting at 27.35. I put in an order for 6 shares. I get the confirmation that I purchased 6 shares for $34.27. I'm already down -20%

I am wondering if one of two things happened:

1. The spread between ask and bid was huge, and I failed to notice
2. I may have bought an American exchange fund using Canadian currency and when I was looking at the chart, the 16.35 was in American funds, and I didn't catch on to that.

Any thoughts? I'd like to know what happened so I can avoid this mistake in the future. I am with a low cost broker (although it's a big bank), so there is no virtually no support. Last time I called, they had me on hold between 9:30- am and noon and I finally hung up. Anyway...

Thoughts?

Thank-you

Edit- I found out how it happened. It was option 2 above. However, I guess it's all relative. I had to pay the exchange rate, but obviously, if the stock ends up having strength, it will all come out in the wash. I left this thread up , in case anyone stumbles in the same way i just did.
....

Option 2.

It's a near-perfect match ;)

Look before clicking, is the moral here.

😁
 
 
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock