How to create MACD histogram indicator in MS 8.1?

zambuck

Experienced member
1,608 102
Try this....

MACD Histogram

( Mov( C,12,E ) - Mov( C,26,E ) ) - Mov( (Mov( C,12,E ) - Mov( C,26,E ) ),9,E )

MACD Histogram Weekly

Mov(If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,Peak(1,If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,0),1)),60,E)-
Mov(If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,Peak(1,If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,0),1)),130,E)-
Mov(Mov(If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,Peak(1,If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,0),1)),60,E)-
Mov(If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,Peak(1,If(DayOfWeek()=5,C,0),1)),130,E),45,E)

webmal

13 0
Zambuck, I tried it but it looks nothing like the indicator I mentioned. Thanks anyway.

Anyone else can help?

Webmal

zambuck

Experienced member
1,608 102
I use it and can confirm that it is doing exactly same thing as the chart in your link....You can apply colours to your choice and then save the chart as a template or layout for future use....

esiotrot

157 0
Not as simple as it looks!

Zambuck's code will give a histogram all right but not the fancy colours or the enclosing lines, at least not in V7.02 which I use.

The way i found to do it was to code two histograms - one with values greater than zero and one less than zero. Apply both to the chart in a new inner window. Make them histograms with different colours. Then apply them again to the same window but this time make them solid lines. Put a horizontal line at zero.

You end up with a chart showing prices plus an inner window with 4 MACD plots, which you now save as a Template.

There may be a clever way of doing this but I don't know what it is.

zambuck

Experienced member
1,608 102
I have added histogram twice in inner window...one is solid line and the other is histogram line...and then added a horizontal lines at 0...that serves the purpose...but I see that the user wants a different colour above / below 0 line...I missed that...

Would you mind posting the codes as to how you achieve the colour bit...?

esiotrot

157 0
Just in the properties box - it's not code.

BTW - I have used the weekly MACD for some time now mainly as a "trend confirmation" as it crosses zero. How do you use it?

zambuck

Experienced member
1,608 102
The way i found to do it was to code two histograms - one with values greater than zero and one less than zero. Apply both to the chart in a new inner window. Make them histograms with different colours. Then apply them again to the same window but this time make them solid lines. Put a horizontal line at zero.

You did say code in your message above....

Just property box will not change the colours as discussed...i.e...all lines above 0 are say green and all lines below 0 are say red...and that goes for histogram as well I think...

While bars and candles has got that facility, I think to achieve that in an indicator one would require a code...can't be done otherwise.....

How would you have an MACD indicator with values above 0 of one colour and other below zero say red in colour..that must need a code??...

Could you please explain more as I am curious....

I have added the weekly MACD in one layout along with daily one..for quick comparision between daily and weekly charts of MACD...

For establishing the trending securities I use CMO and Aroon...along with VHF.

esiotrot

157 0
Sorry - I'll try to be a bit clearer.

I code one MACD as an IF - such that if it's less than zero it's the value ( Mov( C,12,E ) - Mov( C,26,E ) ) - Mov( ( Mov( C,12,E ) - Mov( C,26,E ) ),9,E ) other wise it's Zero. It looks like the second image.

Then another one also as IF - such that if it's above zero it's value is ( Mov( C,12,E ) - Mov( C,26,E ) ) - Mov( ( Mov( C,12,E ) - Mov( C,26,E ) ),9,E ) other wise it's zero.

I then use the first one in a new window and use the property box to make it a histogram and colour it Red. I then use the second indicator, in the same inner window, make it a histogram and colour it (in my case) Blue.

To get the defining lines I use each of the the indicators again, but this time I make them a solid line and change the colours to Red and Blue respectively.

Finally to hide the Zeroes I add a black horizontal line at Zero.

Attachments

zambuck

Experienced member
1,608 102
Thanks Peter....I see what you have done...and thanks for the code...I will test this out and see...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock