Henlowland.com

Atlantic Drifter

Land Investment - Henlowland - warning.

This is just a quick note to anyone interested in alternative investments - in this case land, and specifically a company trading as Henlowland, found at
http://www.henlowland.com/index.htm

A 'whois' look-up shows this site/URL to be owned by Goldline Systems, and administered by Mark Harniman. The names will be familiar to many here. If you don't know these names, do a search either here or on the wider web before responding to any solicitations.

best regards
AD

Classic scam this one.

Here's how it works

Blind everyone with how much land is worth, how many new houses are needed and they don't make land anymore etc
Approach a farmer who has land near a built up area
Bid him say double or even triple what his land parcel (say 30 acres) is worth
The divide into subplots and get a lot of paperwork to support that new houses are needed in the areas etc
Then sell these plots to gullible investors who think that in 5-10 years time planning permission is sure to be granted
The land however because it's deemed as agricultural or outside the planning remit (points like this) is not likely to get planning even with 50 years

How can an investment company subdivide agricultural land without specifying a purpose? What would the purpose be? (presumably, residential development woud not be approved, and residential-sized plots would be useless for any any agricultural purposes except allotments perhaps).

All seems most peculiar...

MT

anley said:
Classic scam this one.

Here's how it works

Blind everyone with how much land is worth, how many new houses are needed and they don't make land anymore etc
Approach a farmer who has land near a built up area
Bid him say double or even triple what his land parcel (say 30 acres) is worth
The divide into subplots and get a lot of paperwork to support that new houses are needed in the areas etc
Then sell these plots to gullible investors who think that in 5-10 years time planning permission is sure to be granted
The land however because it's deemed as agricultural or outside the planning remit (points like this) is not likely to get planning even with 50 years

Well, I didn't really want to delve into why it is a scam particularly, I just wanted to highlight the likelihood of it not being a particularly a sensible investment (largely based on the track record of those apparently involved), and to say 'do your own research', as they always do.

However

Consider the following points:
The cost of farmland per acre (as opposed to a much smaller building plot) is very low
The cost of any land with outline planning permission is very high
The fact that all that is actually being sold is a *time limited option* to buy the land.

Someone could sell me options on anything - they don't have to own it. I can go to a futures and options market today, and trade an interest in practically any class of asset, without ever seeing, or intending to see that asset.

I can do that because the market is regulated, open, competitive and supports a secondary market interest. I doubt that Henlowland satisfies any one of these, let alone all.

If it was Grey and Hard, I'd say someone was trying to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge. The fact that it is Green and Soft, doesn't allay my suspicions one iota

best regards,
AD

i can think of one use for land other than to build houses on it or grow crops though....ready....

golf range. I did the maths on what i reckon my local range makes in a year. almost made me want to give up the day job.

food for thought.

ew.

If I remember correctly, during the set-aside era under the common agricultural policy, that is exactly what happened. The farmers who took their land out of agricultural service got paid to do so, and a remarkable number of new golf facilities got set up. I seem to remember in the mid '80s that there was a new golf course opened in the UK every 3 weeks. Essentially at tax payer's expense!

AD

Just looked at the site again and couldn't stop laughing....again.

Why would someone who you've never heard of (and advertising on the internet) offer you a perfect stranger the potential for unbelievable 'windfall profits' of 1000's %?

Answer, they wouldn't because if the land was really worth anything then people at the bottom of the investment food-chain wouldn't even come close to being able to participate. .

For anyone thinking of buying a plot of this worthless land they'd be well advised to spend £500-£1000 on a proper survery first by a local reputable land agent. That way the only money you'd lose would be the land agents fee because it doesn't take a genius to work out what their report will tell you.

Fear & Greed at work folks.

I love the way they've drawn a map of the 'probable' housing development already. Hurry up folks because those end of culdesac plots are flying off the shelves.

Has anyone heard or dealt with 'Property Spy'? This company deals in plots of land.

I am looking into buying land, but some companies are offering/promising deals that sound a bit too good!!

Any advise on purchasing land? Has anyone of you guys delved into this yet?

Atlantic,
Yes, you are correct in what you say re the 80's...

I like to try to find something positive in most things ,but when it comes to the ordinary man in the street getting hold of land in the Uk on which to turn a profit...it's bleak...a veritable desert...with virtual certainty most anything worth having will be got by builders either major or well entrenched locals before you even get to hear about it .... about the only rose on the horizon is trying to find a plot with something already on that is not maximising the economic potential of the plot....say a bungalow that could get planning for a sizeable extension... or a house with acreage beyond it's 'needs' that might get planning... all I have to offer.