Help with dissertation Please, PLease.

seanzw05

Hello,

I was wandering if anyone could be of any help? I am stuck between a brick and a hard wall with regards to my dissertation topic, my mind just can not seem to focus at the moment. I am doing an MSc in Finance and business management and my areas of interest are investment banking, forex and emerging economies. I previously wanted to do uk investors attitudes and perceptions of investing in emerging economies but my tutor said it was too broad now and as i have said, i have hit a brick, i have lots of ideas, but no focus i need a topic with focus and something i can see a conclusion too. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sean

With the foreign exchange markets trading roughy 3 trillion a day could this absurdly in itself be classified as an emerging market with many predicting it in being the next big boom coming ahead?

Hello,

I was wandering if anyone could be of any help? I am stuck between a brick and a hard wall with regards to my dissertation topic, my mind just can not seem to focus at the moment. I am doing an MSc in Finance and business management and my areas of interest are investment banking, forex and emerging economies. I previously wanted to do uk investors attitudes and perceptions of investing in emerging economies but my tutor said it was too broad now and as i have said, i have hit a brick, i have lots of ideas, but no focus i need a topic with focus and something i can see a conclusion too. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sean

With the foreign exchange markets trading roughy 3 trillion a day could this absurdly in itself be classified as an emerging market with many predicting it in being the next big boom coming ahead?

In a word, no. It is not even remotely 'emerging' Firstly, in financial market terms that is a phrase that isn't usually applied to an asset class (it's more a country distinction in common parlance). Secondly, who are the 'many' that are calling it the next big boom? boom is already here. Sorry but that description of FX is a fair few years out of date.

Sean - I think you need to at least give the readers here a little help wnd make a little effort yourself. Even if someone does spoon feed you a dissertation topic, it won't be much use if you personally don't have sufficient interest to enjoy researching / writing it. The whole process will just end up being a slog, and it will consequently read that way and you'll probably get a concomitantly poor mark.

So cmon - what interests you - what makes you curious? what phenomena have you observed that merits study?

People here will usually try to help if you meet them half way.......

Thanks GammaJamma,

Criticism very welcome, i am stressed out with myself for not being able to come up with something. What makes me curious? I am curious about Gold, its intrinsic value, whats going to happen to it in the future. I am particularly also interested in a country such a Zimbabwe which has vast mineral wealth and how when Mugabe dies the system in place will be able to control the influx of foreign investment, what strategies are in place when a fund manager decides to invest in a volatile emerging economy as such, how they go about sourcing investments in these little known about regions.

I am also quite interested in stock market efficiency so a good question related to that would help a lot.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Sean

sean

Of the things you mention it's gold that seems to have the potential for the sharpest focus. You could wrap a lot around such questions as "what drives the gold market" with ample scope for some history, decent analysis and the opportunity for a sprinkling of original thought.

cheers

Zimbabwe -> inflation -> mineral reserves
Gold / PM's as a hedge against inflation
Devaluation of Zim$$ , eventually got rid of 'em
new laws re: foreign investments / gold buyers+sellers

Should be something in that, surely.

Hi Barjon,

For some reason that idea just took to me, im going to do it. I have for a long time been interested in the gold market, this is just my lit review , i may from there focus on something to do with zimbabwe and its gold.

That what "drives the gold market" history of gold, importance in society, an analysis of the market say over the last 5 years, where its going and why?

anything else you think i should include or look into along the way will be great to know about.

Thank you both for your help

Regards,

Sean

What do you guys reckon of a empirical study looking at the growth of the worlds money supply compared to the rise in the price of gold, also the growth of demand for money because of these emerging economies and maybe the relationship between the growth in the new supplies of gold and the growth of money and maybe this could give a somehow give a more accurate prediction on future gold prices?

Usually the topic of the dissertation is defined by the professor, not you. I am very curious what is your real objective here.

Im trying to find a topic for my dissertation, i have chosen what "what drives gold and the role of gold in the current global economy" i know this is too broad though so am looking for something new that i may be able to focus on with regards to an empirical study possibly.