Help! MS Excel Problem

timsk

Legendary member
I'm sure what I want to do is easy enough, if only I knew how!
I have a column of cells in Excel - like one does - and I want to calculate the difference in value between the current cell and the one above it. I can do this but, where the value of the current cell is higher than the one above it, the difference is expressed as a minus value. For example:

Cell 1A has a value of 50
Cell 2A (current cell) has a value of 70
The difference is expressed as -20

I want to know the difference between cells 1A and 2A, i.e. 20, but I don't want it expressed with a minus sign in front of it.
Thanx for any help.
Tim.

Hey Timsk

In the formula cells right click and go into format. I assume this will always be a number so change the format to number. You will be offered a choice of display for negative numbers. There's an option there to show a negative number as red without the minus sign.

Hope this helps. :)

Pagey

timsk said:
I have a column of cells in Excel - like one does - and I want to calculate the difference in value between the current cell and the one above it. I can do this but, where the value of the current cell is higher than the one above it, the difference is expressed as a minus value. For example:

I want to know the difference between cells 1A and 2A, i.e. 20, but I don't want it expressed with a minus sign in front of it.
Thanx for any help.
Tim.
Pagey is correct but excel will continue to treat it as a negative number, if you use it for further calculations.

How about you multiply the number by itself, this will always give a +ve result. Then find the square root. eg. =SQRT((A1-A2)*(A1-A2))

Last edited:
Absolutely

timsk said:

Thanx for any help.
Tim.
Tim
Use =ABS(C1) where C1 is the cell that you want to convert. The absolute value is the value ignoring the negative sign

Charlton

:D
This place is awesome at times - it really is. Thanks guys - problem solved.

Seeing as you've excelled yourselves (sorry, lousy pun) at this wee task, try this one for size. . .
Is there an Excel formula which will enable me to extract consistent profits from the markets day after day with little or no risk?
:cheesy:
Tim.

timsk said:
:D
This place is awesome at times - it really is. Thanks guys - problem solved.

Seeing as you've excelled yourselves (sorry, lousy pun) at this wee task, try this one for size. . .
Is there an Excel formula which will enable me to extract consistent profits from the markets day after day with little or no risk?
:cheesy:
Tim.
Yes, Charlton just gave it to you....tut.... at the end of the day place all your profitable and lossmaking trades into Excel, add 'em up, and apply Charlton' s formula. Positive outcome, every day.

:)