Have YOU done a trading course ? Do tell us......

how Are peoples experiences in trading rooms ?

I get into a lot of them on forex....anything sent to me for free trials I’m in there for a look ....but again sadly I have to say it’s a little like those nightclubs and Bars you got fooled into as a kid when you were on holiday with your mates .....pretty girls lured you into the club then you went inside and sat there with 400 other blokes and no girls at all !!!

Yesterday I was in a trading room after some intensive recent marketing to me ..,so I trialled it ......there was a fat finger event yesterday afternoon on mainly AUD.....it was interesting that the lead trader did talk about fat fingers i suppose but I was disappointed now slow he and the team were to react and look for the edge .... i suppose I’m used to being à scalper and the room seems to be trading 15m and Higher waiting for support and résistance plays ....alongside everyone else !

So about 40 names I could see in room watching paint dry.....and I was the one that eventually pointed out the AUD .was the alpha .....a little embarrassing as id only been in their for about 5 mjns

not sure how much they are paying for this experience ....I’m in there one more time today so should be fun.....i might call a few trades as well to liven it up

Thoughts on trading rooms ?

N

Sounds much the same as the course I did around the same time, wasn't TCA by any chance?

People look for secrets that don't exist, they look for methods and plans that effectively remove the responsibility of decision making from them. It doesn't work like that.

When I traded the dax and the bund we only ever used support and resistance, the rest was in the news, and to interpret the news properly you need to be completely immersed in everything else that's going on, and thats when it takes your life over.

If you just trade off charts then your missing the main element that's driving that chart, so you'll always be way behind the ball.
Even when news broke we would wait until the support or resistance line broke, then we would pitch in, never try and second guess if that line is going to hold or not.

But the hardest part is being able to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done, that's what messes with your emotions and controlling your emotions is where the real training lies.

A gun is easy enough to use, you simply squeeze the trigger and off it goes, anybody can do it. Try pointing it in a man's face and pulling the trigger, then you'll understand how powerful emotion can be, and only a few are capable.

No it wasn't TCA or Futex.

It was a company called 'Global Trading Community'.

They had an office in Bank but then moved to Aldgate.
I think they shut their doors soon after I left. Although I'm pretty sure those two events weren't linked haha

Big P

I never paid a course.
IMO 99.9% are scams.
They do not teach wrong stuff buy they reapeat you concepts that you can find on babypips or good books that are much cheaper. So better to invest 100-300 on books than on courses.

Good courses are provided by known trading champions like Kevin Davey and AndreaUnger and can be very expensive but at least they are guys that really know how to beat the market.

A lot of people dry up when talking about the HOW to trade profitably. They are reluctant to give away the heart of the matter that has taken them years of grief and toil to find, for nothing back.

Those that are really able to profit consistently for many years run hedge funds.
Guys like David Winton , James Simons, Dunn .

When I worked in a City of London stockbrokers in the 1970s I think I am right that there were 24 Merchant Banks. Today I don't think there are hardly any left. So what happened ? A friend's brother worked in Kleinwort Benson as a director and with the others sold out to Deutche Bank and pocketed the profits. Poor show imho but legal, still.

Last edited:
Survival is extremely difficult even for the real pros with PhDs and many millions.
BTW going back to the initial question I would spend money on a course only if I can verify a trackrecord of 5 years.
How many teachers can show you that?
😸

I bought the courses of the NFA (Series 3), Kevin Davey (+ systems) & Al Brooks. Regretted both purchases of the gurus but Al Brooks helped me to think at my own solutions so not totally worthless. NFA on the other hand represents valid ...theory & general knowledge about derivatives

Hi Viro - Can you detail a bit why you found those courses worthless? I am considering one or both. I read good things only about both those guys, maybe I am missing something.

@Pat and @ NVP.. thought being a newbie its me struggling to find a course with some structural leaning curve, with your loads and loads of years of experience and the things you have come across so far what you suggest for newbies?

As you can see in recent years of advancement in technology leads to use of more advnaced EA and Algorithims , what's your thoughts on these? any suggestion ?

I am not lazy i am reading here ,but thought it will be nice to ask some direction to the more expereinced traders like you guys,also so interested to know how banks and institutions picks traders for them? what extra setups/technology they have advanced over the small retail traders ? Thank you.

@Schwarzennegger
I can suggest you Kevin Davey .
You can read his website and watch his videos for free.
Than if you like it you can buy his book.
If you want to go further and have 2-3k to spend you can partecipate to his course.

I did a course with Linda Raschke last feb - can't praise it enough tbh. i think it was a one off though.... she has a trade room too that she kicked off just after the course finished. worthwhile just listening to her daily pearls of wisdom. am not on commission honestly :))

@Schwarzennegger
I can suggest you Kevin Davey .
You can read his website and watch his videos for free.
Than if you like it you can buy his book.
If you want to go further and have 2-3k to spend you can partecipate to his course.
Did you take the course? I'm trying to figure out why the banned Viro said Davey and Brooks were useless

Nobody gives you the certain profitability.
Davey is one of the few mentors with verified results.
I can't find anything better.
The worst case scenario is that TA and systems are completely useless bacause the market is 100% random.
In this case every course or book is a waste of time and money.

Nobody gives you the certain profitability.
Davey is one of the few mentors with verified results.
I can't find anything better.
The worst case scenario is that TA and systems are completely useless bacause the market is 100% random.
In this case every course or book is a waste of time and money.
Thanks, makes sense!

Last year I've enrolled into the QuantInsti EPAT course (48. batch). It's ~6 month long course teaches only algorithmic and quant trading, not manual trading. I've been working as software developer for many years, but did have only shallow knowledge about financial markets which EPAT taught me quite well.
If you are in the same shoes as I was, being competent in development but not as much knowledgeable of how to utilize finance and advanced statistic in algo and quant trading, I can recommend to take the course.

Last edited:
Last year I've enrolled into the QuantInsti EPAT course (48. batch). It's ~6 month long course teaches only algorithmic and quant trading, not manual trading. I've been working as software developer for many years, but did have only shallow knowledge about financial markets which EPAT taught me quite well.
If you are in the same shoes as I was, being competent in development but not as much knowledgeable of how to utilize finance and advanced statistic in algo and quant trading, I can recommend to take the course.

Excellent, thanks! It is quite pricey though ($6899). Has it made you profitable?