Have YOU done a trading course ? Do tell us......

Excellent, thanks! It is quite pricey though ($6899). Has it made you profitable?
No, it has not yet . My batch have not ended yet. It seems that QuantInsti put up the price, mine tuition was ~5k.
That said, I do not have mindset thinking of taking one course makes me profitable instantly. I rather take it as longer term investment than pricey holly grail. I was looking for something that helps me to grasp better knowledge of math and advance stats required for algo. trading, and EPAT programe has it all in one place/course.
Actually I do not believe that any course alone can make one profitable, no one will teach anyone's goose how to lay a golden eggs ;-)

Last edited:
No, it has not yet . My batch have not ended yet. It seems that QuantInsti put up the price, mine tuition was ~5k.
That said, I do not have mindset thinking of taking one course makes me profitable instantly. I rather take it as longer term investment than pricey holly grail. I was looking for something that helps me to grasp better knowledge of math and advance stats required for algo. trading, and EPAT programe has it all in one place/course.
Actually I do not believe that any course alone can make one profitable, no one will teach anyone's goose how to lay a golden eggs ;-)
Thanks. How long is course? I realize profits do not happen overnight. When do you see your investment paying off?

Also, I have heard this course is heavy of theory but not so much on practical info on creating strategies. Do you agree?

This is the point, it is fine to pay 50-300 for some good books about algo to have the theory.
But when I spend 5k I pretend a return on my investment.
5k are a significant amount of money for everyone I think.
If they are not significat and you are a millionnaire you dont' need to make money with trading.

I think the if you study 5 books about algo, you do your homeworks and still lose money reading other 50 books ot speding thousands for a course will not change your edge.
Never heard about someone that lost money for 3 years, paid a course and now has 3 years of profitable trackrecord.

Course takes ~6 months + Final project on the end.

On practicality. I've been working as soft. developer for my whole life so I was not excepting to be taught of some super duper algorithms, languages or frameworks, but rather of math and advance stat and theory behind that. So I agree that for someone holding Ph.D.s in finance or math it's wasting of time. I'm holding bachelor degree from computer science, so I've found the curriculum to be fitting my needs.
There are of course things, that I know for sure I'll never use, like modeling in Excel.

Re Books - Fair enough. If reading 50 books works for you and you are able to put everything together, good for you! But it does not work for me. Been there, done that . Practical hands-on experience with possibility to ask questions to the people like Tom Starke or Ernest Chan is completely different experience for me than reading books before going to bed.

I also do not know anyone like you said. But I also do not know anybody reading 50 books and having 3 years profitable track record as well.

Frankly, if it does literarily pays off to me, I do not know, I hope so....

I did a private course back in 1998. I found the approach at the time an eye opener as I had little experience of trading. I followed the rules diligently and within a few months I could read the charts and was making very good analysis of the markets. It was a private trader so I won’t name him.

But that wasn’t enough. For years my returns never matched my ability to pick the right moves and I couldn’t work out why. I then attended a few more which were promoted differently but essentially offered the same information repackaged differently. Then I stopped taking courses. I read somewhere about the psychology of trading and picked up a few books, Disciplined Trader, Zen Trading etc. These books helped me understand the mind more. Ok let’s change that.
They didn’t actually help me understand the mind more, just made me more aware that mind played an important role.

Actually getting to a point where this key understanding came was another journey.
So my point here is that, and I think some of you may have already mentioned it, that the courses serve only part of the purpose, some better than others. But the real journey begins at another point and when we get to that point some of us will know, others will change direction and leave trading.

I also done a few on Options many years ago, but they made little sense at the time. But great courses. One was Anthony Robbins financial mastery with Chuck Mellon and second was also by Chuck Mellon. Great courses, just too muchat the time.

Also enroled on some Options Express course with videos and manuals, which is still sitting somewhere in the loft unopened.

Anthony Robbins isn't a trader so unsure how that would help you as he has made all of his money selling PMA courses and seminars.

There is a lot of "self-improvement" psychological material.
I am not saying they tell bullshit but the whole picture is that you spend money and you don't make money.
After 10 courses about trading psychology probably you can make money teaching a course about trading psychology but you won't be able to make money trading the market.

Last edited:
There is a lot of "self-improvement" psychological material.
I am not saying they tell bullshit but the whole picture is that you spend money and you don't make money.
After 10 courses about trading psychology probably you can make money teaching a course about trading psychology but you won't be able to make money trading the market.

I agree. Most traders that trade successfully are doing it in away that is almost normal to them in another area of their life. They are not entirely conscious of the inner working of the mind or how they are doing it, to explain it to another.
There is that saying that those that can trade and those that cat teach, so raises the question if they actually are.