GREY1's APPROACH TO TRADING US STOCKS

Thanks Mayfly, Trader333 and Grey1 for the replies.

Quote Mayfly:
I quite arbitrarily chose to draw the charts using a 21 period CCI and I’ve used a simple moving average of the 10 period CCI as the signal line

In posts 118 and 119 Trader333 and Grey1 seem to be saying (if I understand correctly) that the
charts should be drawn with the primary CCI using a 6 bar period and then the moving average
on that CCI uses a 5 bar period.

Paulf.

Hi Paulf,

I saw Paul's and Grey1's replies this monring and was redrawing the charts on this basis when we had a power cut in my part of Kent this morning. (My guess is that the French were too pissed to show up for workj this morning!)

So very briefly, these parameters don't really work either IMO. For sure, I you make the CCI period shorter you're going to get it up there more often, even on the slower charts - and you have no problem in reaching 120 or better on the faster 3min and 1 min charts.

I've reworked the charts using the faster input parameters for the CCI isdtself and both simple and adaptive moving averages and you'll see that you get the same sort of results - the attached charts illustrate these points rather well.

If someone cares to post the Easy Language code or point me to it in say, TAS&C magazine I'll knock up the MACCI indicator in mine and post the charts for you.

Must dash.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Attachments

• DOW JONES INDUSTR_5Min_6&5_Simple.png
    DOW JONES INDUSTR_5Min_6&5_Simple.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 300
  • DOW JONES INDUSTR_5Min_6&5_Adaptive.png
    DOW JONES INDUSTR_5Min_6&5_Adaptive.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 237
  • DOW JONES INDUSTR_3Min_6&5_Adaptive.png
    DOW JONES INDUSTR_3Min_6&5_Adaptive.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 209
  • DOW JONES INDUSTR_1Min_6&5_Adaptive.png
    DOW JONES INDUSTR_1Min_6&5_Adaptive.png
    27 KB · Views: 253
Mayfly said:
Hi Paulf,

I saw Paul's and Grey1's replies this monring and was redrawing the charts on this basis when we had a power cut in my part of Kent this morning. (My guess is that the French were too pissed to show up for workj this morning!)

So very briefly, these parameters don't really work either IMO. For sure, I you make the CCI period shorter you're going to get it up there more often, even on the slower charts - and you have no problem in reaching 120 or better on the faster 3min and 1 min charts.

I've reworked the charts using the faster input parameters for the CCI isdtself and both simple and adaptive moving averages and you'll see that you get the same sort of results - the attached charts illustrate these points rather well.

If someone cares to post the Easy Language code or point me to it in say, TAS&C magazine I'll knock up the MACCI indicator in mine and post the charts for you.

Must dash.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

mayfly

You just smooth the CCI which has a 20 bar as default with a 6MA . As simple as that . ( the correct way of both smoothing function and the bar back settings comes from cycle analysis which is beyond the scope at this time. It is more adaptive to cycle top and bottom .

For the time being

CCI 20 ( default ) smmoted over 6MA

grey1

Grey1

OK 8 min into the open and Grey1 is up $1381 from an overnight trade LONG X. I just covered it with tidy sum profit. I discussed this technique with Glen , Gerrard,Vegas, and LEVii when they were here.

Sold it right at the top to the chartists lol

grey1

Ps;-- I am now going to hedge this win against another pos on my swing trade on my Ameritrade account. Just after a good arb opportunity

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 350
  • x trade.jpg
    x trade.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Grey1 said:
OK 8 min into the open and Grey1 is up $1381 from an overnight trade LONG X. I just covered it with tidy sum profit. I discussed this technique with Glen , Gerrard,Vegas, and LEVii when they were here.

grey1

Ps;-- I am now going to hedge this win against another pos on my swing trade on my Ameritrade account. Just after a good arb opportunity
Yes!

Thanks G1

Grey1 said:

grey1

Fantastic Grey1 - I remember it well.

This thread is so refreshing.

vegas said:
Fantastic Grey1 - I remember it well.

This thread is so refreshing.

My man ,

I parted with a copy of VWAP engine to a friend in Spain and he has now been profitable after few years of loss. If people just code what I have outlined here and I mentioned in my 1-2-1 then the way ahead is rosy .

Grey 1

Does any know why a lot of images on the board are now png files, or is it just my browser up the creek? :rolleyes:

Grey1 said:
My man ,

I parted with a copy of VWAP engine to a friend in Spain and he has now been profitable after few years of loss. If people just code what I have outlined here and I mentioned in my 1-2-1 then the way ahead is rosy .

Grey 1

He's a luck man indeed! :) I am having a job trying to code the upper and lower VWAP bands in easylanguage??? :eek: on the TS I have recently installed

samtron said:
He's a luck man indeed! :) I am having a job trying to code the upper and lower VWAP bands in easylanguage??? :eek: on the TS I have recently installed
Samtron,

That's the easy bit! (H-L)/2. Wait till you get to coding the engine itself. The technical aggro in coding the exhaustion engine is currently making me tear my hair out but I'll get there in the end.

Grey1 said:
My man ,

Grey 1
Oh to be a friend in Spain!

Grey1

Thanks for clarifying on the MACCI number of bars.

My apologies for digressing here slightly but I would like to be clear on how the VWAP is calculated.
My understanding is its the:
(Sum of n number of bars Close times Volume) Divided By (Sum of n number of bars Volume)
which in AmiBroker AFL language would read:

VWAP = Sum((Close * Volume), NumOfBars) / Sum (Volume, NumOfBars);

If I'm calculating correctly then my only question is what value should NumOfBars be set to?

Sorry if this has been explained in detail before on another thread its just hard to find that
nugget of information that I'm looking for and I want to feel assured I'm putting in the right numbers.

Thanks.

Paulf.

LevII said:
Samtron,

That's the easy bit! (H-L)/2. Wait till you get to coding the engine itself. The technical aggro in coding the exhaustion engine is currently making me tear my hair out but I'll get there in the end.

high levII,

if you dont mind me asking... what is it that you mean by exhuastion engine?? is it macci and multiple time frames??

thanks

Samtron,

If you get too stuck contact me and I will help with an indicator that combines VWAP with Macci in one.

It is true that the coding of this is not that easy. Also you will need a very high spec PC to make full use of everything .

The Exhaustion is the Macci in multiple timeframes. The problem here is that Radarscreen (which is the only real current option for this) cannot take multiple timeframe indicators and so you have to use a Global variable but this is not easy and even if you successfully code the indicator the amount of PC resource it uses is huge and this is without other factors that are also needed.

Paul

moreagr said:
high levII,

if you dont mind me asking... what is it that you mean by exhuastion engine?? is it macci and multiple time frames??

thanks

Correct, Exhuastion engine is your best friend in identifying when a particular trend has been exhausted . We use three MACCI in three time frames for exhaustion signal . Once the trend exhausted the the trade is closed . you can have daily m weekly and monthly if you are a position trader , I use 1 ,3 and 5 min MACCI for hit and run trading .

Grey 1

moreagr said:
high levII,

thanks
Yes. See Trader333's post above.

I have a quiz and challenge for all traders on this BB. The challenge is not to any individuals but it is to do with chart analysis concept

Can some one tell me where the stocks price is heading during the next 5 bars. Use any kind of analysis you are comfortable with... I am going to make a point out of this quiz later on ..

Grey

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 589
Grey1 said:
I have a quiz and challenge for all traders on this BB. The challenge is not to any individuals but it is to do with chart analysis concept

Can some one tell me where the stocks price is heading during the next 5 bars. Use any kind of analysis you are comfortable with... I am going to make a point out of this quiz later on ..

Grey

I will be more comfortable with a decision if I had a volume indication also - my analysis would be (a simplistic approach) the price is heading south or it will consolidate at around this price level. The reasoning being- if the volume associated with the last bar had dropped then the last bar would indicate a 50% retraction for a short term down trend -this + the fact that there was a gap up near the 23rd would reinforce my decision to go short if the price drops below the lowest price of the last green candle.
If however, the vol. with the last candle was high, then I'd expect the price to consolidate before resuming its upward trend.
Couple of points which I'd like to see also would be the long term trend of this stock + the current price in relation to the 200MA before taking a final decision.

Last edited:
Stocks between $55 and $65 that have risen 5-10% in 5 days, go on type 'em into the screener. :)

Seriously, given that information alone, I wouldn't like to guess. But that need not matter, as long as your method is prepared for every eventuality.