ProFXTrader

Market Winning Trade set-ups for 05/17/2015

XAUUSD2-5-17.png

Currency Pair: XAUUSD
Closing Price: 1223.00
Entry Order: BUY stop @ 1227.00
Stop loss: 1218.00
Take profit: 1245.00

Analysis: This pair has formed an ascending triangle. Penetration above Friday's key reversal should propel prices higher.

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but isn’t this a coin toss? Risk 9 for 18?

Plus at 1227 it would be just enough to trigger premature bulls into buying before being hit for six by the bears. 1250 would possibly offer greater comfort to the upside, but would make a right old mess of your stops and limits.

And if you’re trading a daily timeframe (as per your chart) what is the point of going for a stop of 9 points for a profit of 18 when it ranged over 15 points on Friday alone. Risk needs to be proportional to potential gain and to time exposure. Your suggested trade could well get clipped all off the bat tomorrow and well done you I say. But putting all that effort into a daily chart analysis for what is more likely to be an intraday trade seems a little top heavy.

Plus move your lower ascending line forward a week and you’re not looking at an ascending triangle but an area of consolidation. I’m sure you know a million times more than me about technical analysis and I’ll be the last one ta be convinced any of this jiggerypokery works, but reading clouds aside, your calls are out of whack with your apparent timeframe.

Last edited:
Market Winning Trade set-ups for 05/17/2015

View attachment 190402

Currency Pair: XAUUSD
Closing Price: 1223.00
Entry Order: BUY stop @ 1227.00
Stop loss: 1218.00
Take profit: 1245.00

Analysis: This pair has formed an ascending triangle. Penetration above Friday's key reversal should propel prices higher.
I'm not goin to edit me post above, but I obviously meant 1250 not 1227.50 as a potential long entry point. Somethin way above any recent resistance.

And whatever the outcome of this "Market Winning" trade from ProFXTrader, I want to make clear that it was not the call itself being either right or wrong I was banging on about, but the use of a daily chart to define a structure for a trade which is by its nature likely to be of a much smaller duration. It's like using a hot air balloon a few thousand feet up to help direct a driver reversing inta a parking space below. It's a lot easier from the same level as the driver.

And all of that's quite apart from me distinct dislike of stops and limit targets turning a 'trade' inta a combination of binary bets. For me the only sensible way ta trade a net directional position is to use price action to give you the tell. But that's just me.

Bad luck with that one ProFXTrader. But as I said, playing it on a more appropriate time-frame given your range aspirations you could have perhaps bailed out on the lower low after the lower high at around 14:00 BST yesterday and got out for round about your entry level rather than letting it taking your full 9 points risk.