Best Thread GBP/USD Breakout

Another simple breakout strategy for anyone interested. Take the breakout of open/close of the 4 am bar (= 8 am GMT). Tight stop of -13 and target + 78. Will get some losers/drawdown for sure but the r/r makes it worthwhile.

Short 15961.7 closed 15945.5. Short of the 20 pip mark due to the spread by the looks of it. Anyway better than the mess of yesterday.

Hi Claudia -- Close of 8.00 a.m. bar ? ( so we draw line at 9.00 a.m. ) and do you ignore wicks with this system as well ?

Many thanks once again,

klw ..........

Hi klw - Use 4 hour time frame. Draw the line at 8 am on the close of the 4 am candle ignoring the wicks.Get stopped out lots but when it goes its worth it like yesterday.

Last edited:
I first saw Claudia’s thread just before Christmas and was very sceptical as it didn’t contain any of the elements I understood to be essential to understanding the market and therefore learning how to trade it. I thought it necessary to be able to identify the trend; the minor and major support and resistance levels; the fib levels and fib extension levels; count the waves, see the moving average cross-overs etc etc etc. I also thought you had to ‘run your winners and cut your losers’. This strategy seemed to simply consist of a 1:1 risk reward strategy and relied purely on a better than 50% win rate to ever make a profit.

So it seemed like a route to financial suicide, but I was very intrigued with Claudia’s relaxed attitude and read the whole thread through. I then decided to actually watch this pair at 7am and placed demo trades from 17th December 2009 to date, when I could. I have recorded the results in the attached spreadsheet for any-one interested. As the results so far (only on demo trading) are a two in three (66.6%) win ratio I have decided to forward test with a tiny account at minimum stakes (£100 @ 50p a point) which gives me 10 live trades. I appreciate this isn’t a very significant sample size, but I can’t really afford to loose much more, if I get a few winners (recent history indicates that I will) then I hope to have a more significant sample size to analyse than 10 trades, but only time will tell. Apologies Claudia as this is really not ‘shoe shopping’ stakes, but I hope you don’t mind me posting on your thread.

Whilst Claudia has shared her rules a few times, I have some slightly more detailed ones, which I hope will mean I am never in the position of having to think or even worse make a decision at 7am, my trade orders will just be placed ‘on auto-pilot’ and I will sign off, record the results later on and analyse them a couple of times a month (if my account lasts that long)

Rules:
Times are GMT at present and will change to BST when daylight saving commences in March. In simple terms it’s always 7am UK time
1 Identify highest open or close of GBPUSD for all candles printed between midnight and 6am
2 Identify lowest open or close of GBPUSD for all candles printed between midnight and 6am
Open or close being the extreme of the ‘body’ of the candle
The 6am candle will still be printing at this time, so if it is marking one, or even both, of the extremes it will not be possible to place the trade until the 7am bar has begun to print
3 Place a ‘buy’ order at the high value with a stop loss at 20 pips and a take profit at 20 pips, time out at 9:30am (+2.5 hours)
4 Place a ‘sell’ order at the low value with a stop loss at 20 pips and a take profit at 20 pips, time out at 9:30am (+2.5 hours)
5 Record trade results (win, lose, not opened)
6 Analyse results every 10 opened trades & calculate win ratio (last 10, last month, so far this year)
If the 7am candle close creates the high or low for the range and therefore the order can not be placed, I will enter at the market price at 7am and set my take profit and stop levels as per the rules (ie +20 -20 from the close level, not my entry level), thus I might not get 20 points and I lose more than 20 points in these scenarios. I appreciate I could decide not to take a trade at all, or wait for the price to come back into the range and then set my order, but this is how I have decided to deal with this scenario for now
I will also allow both trades to open if they are triggered before the 9:30am cut off. This could mean I take two losses on one day, but I am interested in collecting as many trade results for this strategy as I can at this stage, so this will get me more results and if my subsequent analysis reveals that the second one to open is statistically more likely to be a loser I may revise this rule

If this strategy is good for me and I stick firmly to the rules I should see my analysis reveal a better win ratio, I will then increase my stake size gradually, but never so that I am exceeding 10% of my account balance (ie 10 losing trades). Should I reach a point where I am risking £2.50 (ie £50) per trade, I will revise my 10% risk downwards – thus giving me even more losing trades in a row of ’support’. But lets get back to reality and see what happens to my £100 @ 50p a pip over the next few weeks or even months!

Hypothetically 50 trades @ 60% success yields 100% return on investment:
50 X 60% win X 20 pips X 50p = £300
50 X 40% lose X -20 pips X 50p = - £200
total £100
However, this assumes the first 20 trades aren’t all losers

:clover:to all followers of Claudia's thread

Attachments

• GBP USD 7am breakout demo results.xls
    30 KB · Views: 268
Hi klw - Use 4 hour time frame. Draw the line at 8 am on the close of the 4 am candle ignoring the wicks.Get stopped out lots but when it goes its worth it like yesterday.

What platform do you use Claudia?
Most, if not all MT4 platforms are not GMT, so the 4AM H4 candle will not coincide with 4AM to 8AM GMT

What platform do you use Claudia?
Most, if not all MT4 platforms are not GMT, so the 4AM H4 candle will not coincide with 4AM to 8AM GMT

Hi

MT4 too complicated for me. For this system I just use IG Index UK and their charting package which is GMT.

I first saw Claudia’s thread just before Christmas and was very sceptical as it didn’t contain any of the elements I understood to be essential to understanding the market and therefore learning how to trade it. I thought it necessary to be able to identify the trend; the minor and major support and resistance levels; the fib levels and fib extension levels; count the waves, see the moving average cross-overs etc etc etc. I also thought you had to ‘run your winners and cut your losers’. This strategy seemed to simply consist of a 1:1 risk reward strategy and relied purely on a better than 50% win rate to ever make a profit.

So it seemed like a route to financial suicide, but I was very intrigued with Claudia’s relaxed attitude and read the whole thread through. I then decided to actually watch this pair at 7am and placed demo trades from 17th December 2009 to date, when I could. I have recorded the results in the attached spreadsheet for any-one interested. As the results so far (only on demo trading) are a two in three (66.6%) win ratio I have decided to forward test with a tiny account at minimum stakes (£100 @ 50p a point) which gives me 10 live trades. I appreciate this isn’t a very significant sample size, but I can’t really afford to loose much more, if I get a few winners (recent history indicates that I will) then I hope to have a more significant sample size to analyse than 10 trades, but only time will tell. Apologies Claudia as this is really not ‘shoe shopping’ stakes, but I hope you don’t mind me posting on your thread.

Whilst Claudia has shared her rules a few times, I have some slightly more detailed ones, which I hope will mean I am never in the position of having to think or even worse make a decision at 7am, my trade orders will just be placed ‘on auto-pilot’ and I will sign off, record the results later on and analyse them a couple of times a month (if my account lasts that long)

Rules:
Times are GMT at present and will change to BST when daylight saving commences in March. In simple terms it’s always 7am UK time
1 Identify highest open or close of GBPUSD for all candles printed between midnight and 6am
2 Identify lowest open or close of GBPUSD for all candles printed between midnight and 6am
Open or close being the extreme of the ‘body’ of the candle
The 6am candle will still be printing at this time, so if it is marking one, or even both, of the extremes it will not be possible to place the trade until the 7am bar has begun to print
3 Place a ‘buy’ order at the high value with a stop loss at 20 pips and a take profit at 20 pips, time out at 9:30am (+2.5 hours)
4 Place a ‘sell’ order at the low value with a stop loss at 20 pips and a take profit at 20 pips, time out at 9:30am (+2.5 hours)
5 Record trade results (win, lose, not opened)
6 Analyse results every 10 opened trades & calculate win ratio (last 10, last month, so far this year)
If the 7am candle close creates the high or low for the range and therefore the order can not be placed, I will enter at the market price at 7am and set my take profit and stop levels as per the rules (ie +20 -20 from the close level, not my entry level), thus I might not get 20 points and I lose more than 20 points in these scenarios. I appreciate I could decide not to take a trade at all, or wait for the price to come back into the range and then set my order, but this is how I have decided to deal with this scenario for now
I will also allow both trades to open if they are triggered before the 9:30am cut off. This could mean I take two losses on one day, but I am interested in collecting as many trade results for this strategy as I can at this stage, so this will get me more results and if my subsequent analysis reveals that the second one to open is statistically more likely to be a loser I may revise this rule

If this strategy is good for me and I stick firmly to the rules I should see my analysis reveal a better win ratio, I will then increase my stake size gradually, but never so that I am exceeding 10% of my account balance (ie 10 losing trades). Should I reach a point where I am risking £2.50 (ie £50) per trade, I will revise my 10% risk downwards – thus giving me even more losing trades in a row of ’support’. But lets get back to reality and see what happens to my £100 @ 50p a pip over the next few weeks or even months!

Hypothetically 50 trades @ 60% success yields 100% return on investment:
50 X 60% win X 20 pips X 50p = £300
50 X 40% lose X -20 pips X 50p = - £200
total £100
However, this assumes the first 20 trades aren’t all losers

:clover:to all followers of Claudia's thread

You got the right idea. Good luck !! I would say though (Imo) starting testing from late December is about the worst time to start as the markets are in xmas mood. You should get a return of around 75% over an extended period. But who knows these markets change all the time. By the way I use the close of the 1 am bar not the midnight one. Could also be brave if you just on demo and cut the stop to 10 or 13 say.

Agree FormulaOne - Friday never the best of days but this silly payroll thing makes it even worse. I taking 3 winners 1 loser and 1 no trade for the week. Not so bad.

Edit: oops spoke too soon buy order just got filled.

NFP could be good news for the dollar today. The retail sector takes on a lot of workers for the holidays in December so figures might be good for the dollar. Then again, the batteries are running low on my crystal ball. :)

changing my limit order to +9 pips instead of 20 because of what you two have been mentioning plus the dailt pivot as resistance below the 20 pip target price

just triggered 9 pip profit. I must say this strategy is a lot more fun to monitor than most

Edit: ha! and it goes for the 20 pips anyway. Thats twice now i would have been better off not adjusting the system. If only they could sell faith in bottles...

i'm out of the long trade now with 20 pips. first went in and broke even. it gave me a chance to re-enter lower and got my 20 pips and i'm happy.

i entered 2 pips above the mid price of the high... was 1.1 pips short of being filled at the profit target..hoping it comes back up so i can go back to sleep in peace!

I don't trade the breakout as Claudias rules, but follow this thread avidly. My 6am candle closed at 15933 (on MT4), and then moved lower on next candle, would this not have given you guys a short entry signal?

breakout entry was 1.5946. my long went up +5 pips before it started to retrace and I closed it at breakeven. Then it went up and then started to retrace and went down to 1.5940 level. Went long again at 1.5943 and got my target pips. Not bad considering its friday and breakout sometimes doesn't work well on a friday.

Well that was fun after all... 4 out of 5 for the week. Can go buy shoes now (or maybe skis!!!) Good weekend all.

I don't trade the breakout as Claudias rules, but follow this thread avidly. My 6am candle closed at 15933 (on MT4), and then moved lower on next candle, would this not have given you guys a short entry signal?

No, that does not breakout of the overnight range that the stratergy would use.

breakout entry was 1.5946. my long went up +5 pips before it started to retrace and I closed it at breakeven. Then it went up and then started to retrace and went down to 1.5940 level. Went long again at 1.5943 and got my target pips. Not bad considering its friday and breakout sometimes doesn't work well on a friday.

lol if you just left your stop in place at -20 could have saved all that stress!! Good you ended up + 20.