GBP/CHF - 2898 pips What the ****!?

Falken

Hi guys, I would be really pleased if anyone could explain this one candle for me.
May 25th, GBP/CHF, sellers pushed the price down 2898 pips, is this serious ?:-0

Can moves like these really happen ? Or is there anything wrong with my charts?
Please check the attached picture, I would really like to have this explained.

Thanks!

Attachments

• WTF.JPG
    WTF.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 410
? Very helpfull.
Less helpful than your response?

The unadorned 'LOL' is an expression of relief that you get from laughing at an impossible situation for which no words are possible or necessary.

Sometimes, it’s all that’s possible without resorting to crying or strong drink.

For those that ‘get it’ – fine. For those that don’t – tough.

Less helpful than your response?

The unadorned 'LOL' is an expression of relief that you get from laughing at an impossible situation for which no words are possible or necessary.

Sometimes, it’s all that’s possible without resorting to crying or strong drink.

For those that ‘get it’ – fine. For those that don’t – tough.

Alright, so what does that mega big candle mean? Does it happen often in the markets? As you can tell I'm new to trading, I just want to know if that candle is correct.

Is it as it suppose to be or is my chart ****ed up? This might be a stupid question I don't know, just trying to understand.

Duff data. But if you're trading with these clowns (forex.ch) then they may well have taken your funds had you been long through them and you may or may not have had a tussle 'restoring normality'. I'm guessing.

Get yourself a decent feed if you're going to take this seriously.

Get yourself a decent execution platform if you're going to take this seriously.

Spikes occur in every instrument form time to time and you can’t avoid them. But if genuine, they occur across all data feeds…

Duff data. But if you're trading with these clowns (forex.ch)

I think that forex.ch is the banner add but strangely when you click on the chart it remains visible on top!

Not sure he is trading with them:confused:

I think that forex.ch is the banner add but strangely when you click on the chart it remains visible on top!

Not sure he is trading with them:confused:
Apologies to forex.ch

Should have paid more attention, it's IT-Finance (France).

Well they are the company behind prorealtime so normally their data is cleaned sufficiently. That will probably be either cable or usdchf overnight having either no bid or no offer in Reuters / EBS respectively, and someone using a price contribution algorithm dumb enough to pick that up and send it out. Basically the older, gen 1 algos, back before there was a lot of decent, widely available market data to play with, would take the bid / offer spread in cable, the mid offer spread in swissy, calculate a couple of mids, multiply together to get the gbpchf mid, then spread that by a pre-set amount and hey presto - you have a contributed rate in gbpchf (n.b. not a dealing rate mind, just a contributor rate to get your name up there on GBPCHF= on reuters etc).

This works ok as long as there are realistic rates in the relevant machines (Reuters Dealing 3000 for cable, EBS for usdchf). But if, for example, overnight with absolutely nothing going on, the order book is empty on either side in either pair, basically if the algo is dumb enough it will still include that zero as a data point, so it will take, for example (1.5992 + 0)/2 to be the cable mid (i.e. 0.7996).If usdchf mid is say 1.0838 that would put gbpchf mid at 0.8666 (rather than 1.7335 ish).

Even if the data point isn't completely missing, if it were miles away, that would still throw the calculation out.

It doesn't happen very often these days as there's almost always a decent dealing rate in the toys in all majors. But just once in a while either connectivity goes down, or you get a quiet night in Asia and bingo - anyone still contributing based on such an antiquated method of pricing will be caught spamming out a garbage rate.

If a chart provider takes feeds from a bunch of different sources, it only needs one of these to act this way to cause a data spike. Normally anyone reputable should smooth this data, but in reality it doesn't always happen in realtime. By the time they spot there's a rgoue point it's already been published, and all they can do is retrospectively remove it.

Make sense?

GJ

Well it certainly should be. Completely off-market rate, and there is doubtless fine print to support that. In the interbank market you'd be laughed out of town for suggesting you should be able to deal on it. Falls under the general category of 'do unto others.....'

I have been on both sides of the fence - in a position to take advantage of these opportunities, and also been responsible for positions resulting from people doing that to me (in the early days when this stuff wasn't overly clever). At the end of the day, there's a line in the sand, and this sort of thing is somewhere the wrong side of it. Unambiguously.