Best Thread FXCM/DailyFX Signals and Strategies

GBPJPY Breakout Buy at 153.80

Written by Jamie Saettele, Senior Currency Strategist

The GBPJPY is attempting a break from a short term head and shoulders bottom. Trading above 153.68 would clear the way for a run towards measured objectives of 155.60 and 158.26. See the above table for entries and exits.

0910ts2.jpg

Read the Full Report Here

Jamie Saettele publishes Daily Technicals every weekday morning (930 am EST), COT analysis (published Monday mornings), technical analysis of currency crosses on Monday (Euro and Yen crosses), and Intraday Forex Trading Strategy as market action dictates. He is also the author of Sentiment in the Forex Market. Follow his intraday market commentary at DailyFX Forex Stream. Contact Jamie at [email protected]

British Pound May Falter on Signs of Falling CPI, Widening Fiscal Deficits

Written by Terri Belkas, Currency Strategist

The ascent of the British pound against the US dollar over the past week suggests that the currency has experienced broad strength, but this certainly was not the case. In fact, the British pound fell roughly 1.3 percent against the New Zealand dollar, dropped 0.9 percent against the Japanese yen, and slipped a slight 0.3 percent against the euro.

gbp_091109.jpg

Fundamental Forecast for British Pound: Bearish

- UK industrial production was stronger than expected, showing the first back-to-back increase since September 2006
- The nation’s trade deficit narrowed in August thanks to a 5 percent rise in exports
- The British pound rallied after the Bank of England left rates, QE stance unchanged

The ascent of the British pound against the US dollar over the past week suggests that the currency has experienced broad strength, but this certainly was not the case. In fact, the British pound fell roughly 1.3 percent against the New Zealand dollar, dropped 0.9 percent against the Japanese yen, and slipped a slight 0.3 percent against the euro. Furthermore, the British pound was second only to the greenback in being the weakest of the majors over the past month, with GBPJPY having plunged almost 5 percent. Overall, despite recent improvements in economic data, the combination of the Bank of England’s liberal quantitative easing stance and bleak outlooks regarding the fiscal health of the nation creates significant bearish pressures for the British pound. That said, this isn’t incredibly apparently in GBPUSD, but is more easily seen in pairs like GBPJPY and EURGBP. This could change in the coming week though, as GBPUSD ran into falling trendline resistance drawn from the July 2008 highs at 1.6735.

Looking ahead to next week’s event risk, the UK’s consumer price index (CPI) reading for the month of August is expected to rise 0.3 percent, but the more important part of this report is that the annual rate of growth, which is more closely watched by the Bank of England, is forecasted to fall to 1.4 percent, the lowest since October 2004, from 1.8 percent, keeping inflation within the central bank’s acceptable range of 1 percent - 3 percent, but below their 2 percent target. If CPI falls more than projected, the British pound could pull back sharply as the markets will anticipate that the BOE will expand their quantitative easing efforts even further before year-end. On the other hand, if CPI holds strong – which seems possibly in light of the rise in both input and output produce prices - the currency could rally in response.

Other notable releases include UK jobless claims, which are projected to have risen for the 18th straight month in August, this time by 25,000. Adding to this potentially disappointing result, the ILO unemployment rate could rise to 8.0 percent, the highest since November 1996, from 7.8 percent, which would not bode particularly well for the consumption outlook. This point may be highlighted by the UK retail sales report, which is only forecasted to rise by 0.1 percent. This indicator only tends to be market-moving upon large surprises, though, and a reading in line with expectations shouldn’t shake up trade too much. Finally, public sector net borrowing is expected to rise by another 17.6 billion pounds, which will only add to evidence that the nation’s fiscal health is rapidly deteriorating and suggesting that risks are growing for a downgrade to the UK’s AAA credit rating.

Full Report Found Here

High Risk, High Reward EURUSD Channel

An immediate risk disclaimer, attempting to spot a range in any dollar-based pair is very speculative and risky. As such, this is a setup only for those that are comfortable taking the risk. That being said, our strategy for EURUSD still tries to line up the fundamentals, technicals, positioning and risk/reward in such a way that the potential is still attractive.

01EURUSD9-11-09.gif

How stable is the EURUSD Range?

• Levels to Watch:
-Range Top: 1.4620 (Channel, Fib)
-Range Bottom: 1.4175 (Fib, Channel, SMA)

• Looking at the economic dockets behind the euro and dollar, there are few specific indicators that threaten a significant bout of volatility upon their release. Second tier releases like US retail sales and the German ZEW survey are notable; but just not comprehensive enough to produce the kind of fundamental shift we would need at the current extreme. The real driver for this pair (more accurately the dollar) will be risk appetite.

• A short is fighting the current. EURUSD has been held in an uptrend for going on six months now and the past week has brought yet another burst of volatility in the rapid advance. However, the trend can be described as overextended on a short and medium-term time frame. As for support a long-term 61.8% fib and channel top create a tangible ceiling.

Suggested Strategy

• Short: An entry of 1.4590 is just below the channel top to allow for a good risk/reward.
• Stop: A stop of 1.4690 is set well enough above the channel top to allow for a reversal. To secure profit, move the stop on the second lot to breakeven when the first target hits.
• Target: The first objective is greater initial risk (150) at 1.4440. The second target is 1.4320.

High_Risk__High_Reward_EURUSD_1252701720919.html

The Threat Of SNB Intervention Has Limited EUR/CHF Volatility Creating Scalping Oppor

Written by John Rivera, Currency Analyst

The EURCHF has traded in a 300 pip range since the Swiss National Bank took action which has narrowed to 150 pips in the past month. Although, we have seen a slight increase in volatility over the past few days it was relatively small compared to other currency pairs. The upcoming SNB rate decision at 12:30 GMT tomorrow will present major event risk, as policy makers could warn of future efforts to limit the appreciation of the franc as they look to generate demand for exports. However, before hand we could see an ideal environment for high frequency traders as volatility typically drain ahead of events with potential to move markets.

JR916b.gif

Swiss Franc Gains As SNB Keeps Rates Unchanged, Raises Inflation Expectations

Written by John Rivera, Currency Analyst

The Swiss National Bank left their three month Libor rate unchanged at 0.25% at its quarterly monetary policy meeting stating that prevailing uncertainty over future growth warranted a “cautious” stance. Policy makers reaffirmed their commitment to keep rates at the lower end of their target band as signs of a global recovery have yet to be confirmed.

The Swiss National Bank left their three month Libor rate unchanged at 0.25% at its quarterly monetary policy meeting stating that prevailing uncertainty over future growth warranted a “cautious” stance. Policy makers reaffirmed their commitment to keep rates at the lower end of their target band as signs of a global recovery have yet to be confirmed. However, they see no need for further government credit support measures as the Franc’s stability shows that policy measures have been effective. The central bank also maintained their commitment to counter Franc appreciation which has helped put a floor under its crosses. Yet, the committee revised their inflation expectations for next year to 0.6% from 0.4% and to 0.9% from 0.3% in 2011, which may lesson fears of future physical intervention. The Swiss Franc initial falters as on the commitment to battle franc appreciation, but would give back those gains on the higher inflation forecasts.

sp09.17.gif

Read the Full Article Here

Equities in a Precarious Position

Thursday, 17 Sep 2009 6:00 EDT at 18:00 by Jamie Saettele

The DJIA made a key reversal (new high but the close is below the prior day’s close) today. The implications are extremely bearish when considering not just where the bar pattern occurred – but also how it occurred.

Where – today’s high reversed at a line that is extended from highs in May, June and August. The reversal also occurs at the wave iv of 3 extreme (labels not shown but this is the circled area). 4th waves of one or two lesser degrees often mark the level at which the correction (in this case, the correction is a bear market rally) will end. 9708-9852 (today’s high was 9854) also mark lows that occurred in May, August, and October of 2004. Former support is now probably resistance.

How – momentum has slowed considerably as evidenced by divergence with RSI. Volume (not shown) today was the fourth highest since June 22. Rallying to an 11 month high but closing the day lower on relatively high volume signals distribution. The implications for US equities are bearish.

dji.png

British Pound Decline May Be Indicative of Long-Term UK Macro Outlook

Written by Terri Belkas, DailyFX Currency Strategist

The British pound was easily the weakest of the majors last week as the currency fell more than 3 percent against the euro, Swiss franc, and Canadian dollar. Likewise, the British pound slumped 2.4 percent against the US dollar and 1.7 percent versus the Japanese yen. While some indicators from the nation have shown signs of improvement, such as the RICS house price index, fiscal data has done nothing but deteriorate, adding pressure on the British pound. In fact, public sector net borrowing in the UK jumped a whopping 16.1 billion pounds during August as income tax receipts fell 13 percent from a year ago. Even worse, the deficit reached 127 billion pounds in August from a year ago, and the steady rise suggests that the shortfall may breach Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling’s full-year forecasts for a deficit of 175 billion pounds.

gbp_091809.jpg

Greenback Dumped Yet Again Overnight (Morning Slices)

Fundys – The New Zealand Dollar has taken front and center stage on Tuesday with the single currency racing higher on the back of some solid global risk appetite, better current account data and news that local dairy giant Fonterra has raised its payout forecast to farmers. Also seen bolstering the antipodean to fresh 2009 highs has been the NZIER’s upwardly revised economic growth forecasts for the first time in over a year. Currencies in general are back on the bid with any USD rallies from Monday being completely negated. The Euro and Swissie have also joined in on the USD beat up, and have rallied to fresh 2009 highs. Sterling remains relatively weak with the currency getting hit hard of late against the Euro, Aussie and Kiwi. The more downbeat assessment from the BoE and general shift in sentiment towards the economy of late has been seen as the primary driver for the weakness. Meanwhile UK PM Brown has come out saying that continued stimulus is vital for the global recovery, while also downplaying any talk of a quick exit strategy. Elsewhere, the currency head at UBS has been on the wires overnight saying that the G7 should deal with the falling USD and initiate some form of a coordinated intervention to prop the beleaguered currency. Nothing really of note in the European session, with ECB Weber reiterating that rates are appropriate. There was however some geopolitical risk in South Africa, with US government offices reportedly shut down on Tuesday due to threats. Looking ahead, Canada retail sales (0.5% expected) are due at 12:30GMT, followed by the Richmond Fed (16 expected) and US house price index (0.5% expected) at 14:00GMT.

Trade of the Day – Eur/Nzd: We simply can’t ignore the aggressive drop in this market so early in the day with the cross rate already moving some 100 points more than its average true range and leaving the hourly studies severely oversold. Any additional pullbacks from here are seen limited with the greater risk for a more significant corrective bounce. The market had been attempting to base above critical psychological barriers at 2.0500 over the past several days before mounting a mild recovery rally last week. However this was negated today with the break below 2.0500 to fresh 2009 lows. Nevertheless, we view the drop as more of a stop chase than any real effort to take the cross much lower and as such, we have established a long position just over 2.0500 and will be looking for a sizeable bounce over the coming hours/days. POSITION: LONG @2.0520 FOR AN OPEN OBJECTIVE, STOP @2.0270.

.000000000000001eurnzd9.22.jpg

Written by Joel Kruger, Technical Currency Strategist for DailyFX.com
If you wish to receive Joel's reports in a more timely fashion, e-mail [email protected] and you will be added to the "distribution" list.

Yesterday I was reading a post on here that had actual entrance prices, I was really surprised since your crew never posts actual calls. The call was also included that you were short Gbp/usd from last week, which in itself was flagrant.
I woke up this morning to see that Gbp/usd was up immensly, so I wanted to see how down you guys were or atlease see how close it was to your entrance.

Guess what? The post is no longer here. Did you guys really delete a post to cover yourselfs?
I even scrolled back the last two pages looking for it and its gone.

Hi Depth Trade,

I post 1 article per day, 2 max, and it's not possible to delete posts older than the most recent one. Are you sure it wasn't another thread you were watching? Nothing is ever deleted from our trading analysis thread. All of the articles are archived on Forex News | Forex Trading News | Currency Trading News and can be found by using the search feature at the very top right of the page.

Jason

Hi Depth Trade,

I post 1 article per day, 2 max, and it's not possible to delete posts older than the most recent one. Are you sure it wasn't another thread you were watching? Nothing is ever deleted from our trading analysis thread. All of the articles are archived on Forex News | Forex Trading News | Currency Trading News and can be found by using the search feature at the very top right of the page.

Jason
Don't worry about it, just don't do it again. ;)

Don't worry about it, just don't do it again. ;)

Right...Seems like you're the only one deleting posts.

And it's also not possible to delete/moldify posts from previous days, so how would I have possibly have done this.

Please provide some proof next time before making blind accusations.

I look forward to comments discussing trading :)

Cheers,

Jason

Right...Seems like you're the only one deleting posts.

And it's also not possible to delete/moldify posts from previous days, so how would I have possibly have done this.

Please provide some proof next time before making blind accusations.

I look forward to comments discussing trading :)

Cheers,

Jason
Here's a copy of the PM I just sent you.
How can I back my accusation when you removed the post?
Discredit Fxcm, I am doing everything possible not to get into an argument with you, I have even called Fxcm about being employed, the last thing I want to do is get in an argument with you guys.
Your post today was at 7ampac. your last post before that was 6:30ampac that means you could have deleted a post within a 24hr period.
I gave you the benefit of doubt and gave you time to delete your response, but it is you who wanted to continue it, so don't tell me I am out to discredit you, I gave you a chance to drop it and learn a lesson.
You guys made your boldest call to date placing actuall prices on signals, it moved against you and the post disapeared.
End of story.
Now I don't know exactly what you did or in what time sequence, but I do know the post is missing.

To those reading this thread and enjoying the DailyFX analysis:

I sincerely apologize for what this has come down to in the few recent posts. While I hate to air dirty laundry, I feel we must defend our integrity.

No post has been removed, nor will any post from FXCM's DailyFX Analysis thread be removed. We're not afraid of a DailyFX call being wrong and we gladly welcome trading discussion if a signal placed on the thread is wrong. Diversity of opinion is welcome.

What we take issue with are blind accusations where there's no proof and the accuser hasn't even been able to discuss this on a professional level. During my first reply, DepthTrader (Pablo) deleted his original post which I replied to. I sent Pablo the following message after noticing he deleted his post:

Hi Pablo,

I noticed you had deleted your post on the FXCM/DailyFX Signals thread. Were you able to find the article you mentioned? I replied to your post through the thread http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...sis/forex-news-analysis/fore...tml#post913510

Jason

This the reply I received back:

I know what I saw, you deleted it or someone else did. My advice would be to delete your response to my original post or I'll end up responding to your last post, which you don't want me to do.

Have a good day,
Depth Trade

Delete my post or else what?! We have nothing to hide, and so you can see why I'm so vehement about defending our integrity against outright threats. If this is how "legendary members" act, then I am shocked. This is how a witch hunt operates.

We won't be replying to this accusation anymore. But we will continue to post DailyFX analysis and hope you continue to enjoy the posts. DailyFX provides over 20 news articles and special reports daily giving you a wealth of information for your trading analysis. Over 8 million users frequent the DailyFX page per month which in my opinion vouches for the quality of the articles. Is DailyFX 100% correct, no, and only a fool would make that claim. But we aim to provide quality articles, and if you disagree, then all the better as disagreement opens everyones mind to new trading ideas that they may not have considered before.

All the best with trading,

Jason Rogers
FXCM

You can find all DailyFX articles, including all articles from previous days, directly through the website here Forex News | Forex Trading News | Currency Trading News .

Last edited:
Dollar Enters Panic Stage

Written by Jamie Saettele, DailyFX Senior Currency Strategist

As the title suggests, the US dollar is taking a beating. Those familiar with the technical method understand that such market conditions tend to mark the end of a move. Risk control is of course paramount, but there are levels to watch with interest.

1.4850, which is the 100% extension of the 1.2327- 1.4723 rally, has been one of the levels that we’ve been focusing on as a possible turning point. Price is close to there now so watch carefully. There are also several resistance lines (up-sloping) that are at and just above current price. While the confluence of these levels (as well as RSI divergence on multiple time frames) warns of the potential for a top, trading from the short side remains difficult until a bearish price pattern emerges.

922jb.gif

Japanese Yen Mixed Against Major Currencies - Where to From Here?

Written by John Kicklighter - DailyFX Currency Strategist

My picks: Pending AUDJPY Breakout
Expertise: Combining Money Management with Fundamental and Technical Analysis
Average Time Frame of Trades: 3 days - 1 week

Though risk appetite has maintained its bullish bias - despite the strain that has developed over the past week - the Japanese yen has struggled to maintain its bearing. This degradation in correlation is similar to what is happening for many other formerly, risk-sensitve securities. This may be due to a factor unique to the yen such as the pace of economic recovery in Japan or the outlook for financial health in the years ahead. On the other hand, it could very well be a side effect of finding stability in market sentiment. Through the worst of the financial crisis, demand for liquidity led to a sell off in all risk-laden assets in an effort to bolster investors' reserves. In the subsequent rebound, capital has to be reinvested to produce income. However, the outlook is still very bleak; so it is only natural that modest returns and cautious investors are leading market participants to pick and choose their investments.

The correlation amongst the yen crosses is starting to breakdown just as surely as any other pairing. However, the the similarities in technical setups along, along with the weak position of the Japanese currency, mean it wouldn't be difficult to drive momentum across the board with the right catalyst. Specifically, AUDJPY is positoined as a standout fundamental setup with a very clear technical lean. Australia is considered one of (if not the) strongest economies amongst the world's industrial base. When the Aussie dollar is set against the primary, long-term carry funding currency; we have a pair that will maintain its link to risk trends. From a technical stand point, this pair is cutting a congestion pattern that retains its bullish bias from the February reversal. A rising trendline from the Feb 2nd low is building pressure for a break out on the 80 resistance that is developed on the 50% Fib retracement of the July to October 2008 plunge. Momentum calls for a bullish bias; but I am open to a breakout in either direction. I will look at the performance of the carry trade basket and stocks for guidance and wait for a medium-term frequency break above 80 or below 78.50 for entry.

See All Analyst Picks Here

US Dollar, Japanese Yen Remain Closely Correlated to S&P 500

Written by David Rodriguez, DailyFX Quantitative Strategist

Forex markets remain heavily correlated to financial market risk sentiment, while key currencies remain comparatively indifferent to short-term interest rate developments. In past years, currencies such as the US Dollar, Euro, and British Pound responded quite sharply to any and all changes in interest rate developments. Yet more recent market environments have clearly changed that dynamic, and currencies such as the US Dollar and Japanese Yen most often move sharply in response to big changes in key risk barometers.

Forex Correlations Summary

Forex correlations against Oil, Gold, and the Dow Jones Industrials Average for the past 30 calendar days:

923dra.gif

Read the full report here.

Dollar Reversal Evidence Mounting

Thursday, 24 Sep 2009 10:13 EDT at 10:13 by Jamie Saettele

The neckline held Monday and is being tested again. Closing below the line would expose former resistance at 1.5740. 1.6260 and 1.6315 are short term resistance levels. Risk on shorts can be moved to 1.6475.

924jsc.bmp

Read the full report here

US Dollar Event Risk Stacked High Ahead of Consumer Confidence and NFPs

!!!Here's an overview of next week's major economic events:!!! Have a great weekend.

Written by Terri Belkas, Currency Strategist

• UK Gross Domestic Product (2Q F) – September 29, 04:30 ET
The UK will face their third and final round of growth results, and this upcoming GDP reading is anticipated to be revised up to -0.6 percent in Q2 from Q1, compared to previous estimates of -0.7 percent. Likewise, the year-over-year rate of growth is projected to be revised up to -5.4 percent from -5.5 percent, which would still mark a record low but would suggest that the UK’s recession isn’t quite as bad as previously though. The last time we saw news similar to this was upon the preliminary (second) release of Q2 GDP on August 28, as the quarterly rate was surprisingly revised up to -0.7 percent from -0.8 percent. At that point, the British pound rallied into the start of the US trading session, but subsequently ran into resistance and ended the day lower. This suggests that if GDP is revised higher than -0.6 percent, the British pound could gain, but ultimately, readings in line with expectations shouldn’t have a large impact on trade.

• US Conference Board Consumer Confidence (SEP) – September 29, 10:00 ET
The September reading of the Conference Board’s measure of US consumer confidence is expected to rise up to a one-year high of 57 from 54.1 in August, but overall, there are some upside risks for this report. Indeed, the final reading of the University of Michigan’s consumer confidence index show that sentiment improved greatly in September, with the index hitting a 21-month high of 73.5 from 65.7. A breakdown showed that as the “economic conditions” component rose to a 1-year high of 73.4, while the “economic outlook” jumped to a 2-year high of 73.5. In light of these positive signs, disappointing numbers could have especially negative repercussions for risk appetite, but if the index rises in line with expectations or proves to be surprisingly strong, FX carry trades could gain and weigh on the US dollar.

• US Gross Domestic Product (2Q F) – September 30, 08:30 ET
The third round of US Q2 GDP estimates is due to hit the wires, but the results will only be market-moving if we see surprising revisions. The final reading is forecasted to be revised down to -1.2 percent from -1.0 percent, though this would still represent a sharp improvement from Q1, when GDP plunged 6.4 percent. Readings in line with expectations may not have a very big impact on price action, but better-than-anticipated results could lead carry trades higher, especially in light of speculation that the recession may have ended in Q2. On the flip side, surprisingly weak numbers could crush these hopes and trigger another bout of risk aversion.

• US ISM Manufacturing (SEP) – October 1, 10:00 ET
On Thursday, the ISM manufacturing index is projected to rise for the ninth straight month in September to 54 from 52.9, which would be the highest reading since April 2006. With 50 being the point of neutrality, this would also be the second month that the index signals an expansion in activity, adding to evidence that the sector is experiencing a recovery in business activity. The last release didn’t have much of an impact on the US dollar, as risk aversion dominated the day, leading the currency higher. However, the report will still be useful because of its employment component as a leading indicator for Friday’s US non-farm payrolls report.

• US Non-Farm Payrolls (SEP) – October 2, 08:30 ET
The US non-farm payrolls (NFPs) index is forecasted to show job losses for the 21st straight month in September, though the rate of decline is anticipated to slow further. At the time of writing, Bloomberg News was calling for NFPs to decline by 187,000, which would be the smallest drop since August 2008. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate is projected to edge up to 9.8 percent from 9.7 percent, but ultimately, the NFP result will be the event to watch as it is extremely volatile and is one of the sole reports that impacts the US dollar from a pure fundamental point of view. A better-than-anticipated result is likely to provide a boost to the US dollar, but it will be interesting to see the impact of disappointing results as weak US data tends to weigh on risky assets and push the greenback higher amidst flight-to-quality.

See the DailyFX Calendar for a full list, timetable, and consensus forecasts for upcoming economic indicators.

British Pound Losing its Risk Appeal as Conditions Deteriorate

Written by John Kicklighter, DailyFX Currency Strategist

Some of the major currencies are showing strength against some pairs and weakness against others – a sign of underlying currents like risk appetite. However, the British pound was down across the board this past week, and in dramatic fashion. Prominent breakouts are starting to look the establishment of new trends as the struggling fundamental health of the United Kingdom begins to override the appeal the currency once held as a source for high yields. The next few weeks will be critical in establishing where the pound will head, and more importantly, where it fits in the market.

2009.09.25._pic5.gif

- BoE Mervyn King says the weak pound “will be helpful” in supporting a feeble recovery
- Upcoming spending cuts and speculation of a cut in the deposit rate means the BoE is running out of options
- The Bank of England minutes show a unanimous vote to keep the bond purchasing program at 175 billion pounds​

British Pound Losing its Risk Appeal as Conditions Deteriorate

The Trend of the Day - AUD/USD

Written by Gregory McLeod, Power Course Instructor

The Aussie Ascent

The Australian Dollar has been consolidating in a very tight range and is poised to breakout above the September 2008 highs at 8811 which very near where we it is in 2009. There is little resistance above this area until the .9791 July 22nd high. When this pair came down, it was in the middle of the Financial crisis where there were little or no areas of support. As former support turns into new resistance, there is none to speak of. Look to buy this pair on a 2 pip breakout above the .8788 area.

ToD-AUDUSD.jpg

Read the full report here