Futex position

Grant, I thought Uni was a great time.

Not for what I learned there, necessarily, can't really recall ever having used anything much from that for what I did later, but RE having lotsa fun it ticked all relevant boxes very nicely.

I think apart from giving you some more years to develop as a person in a relatively unpressured atmosphere another great thing Uni gives you is the ability to set goals, persevere, and eventually achieve them.

Sort of what life is all about in a way, what.

Uni is sort of like the famous Marshmallow experiment they did at Stanford which in essence is about the corellation between being able to defer gratification and success in life.

In the experiment 4 year old kids who were able to not eat a marshmallow lying right in front of them now will get a couple of em some hours down the line.

Guess what, the kids that were able to withstand the instant but small moment of pleasure in favour of a later but bigger enjoyment were the ones that in a study that followed them through their lives turned out to be far more successful.

IQ's that were also measured at the time had no correlation with eventual success or lack of, which just goes to support my pet notion that success is far more to do with objectives and will power than anything else.

If I choose to go to Uni I have far less money at my disposal than my contemporaries who entered the working world straight away. My eventual reward for fore-going instant income is that Uni graduates will on average end up making far more money in total.

Kinda like trading, too, cutting losses with discipline while having the ability to sit tight without prematurely taking profits, letting winners run properly and all that, eh.

I think that's really the only thing that having a degree shows you, an ability to defer a small gratification now in favour of a larger one later, but a degree is far less to do with providing you with a specific skill set unless you choose a career in medicine etc.

Which brings me to another thing I totally fail to understand:

Why do trading firms insist on numerical tests ?

The only explanation I can come up with is that they get swamped with applications and use these tests as a means to reduce the sheer numbers to a level that is handleable.

Because otherwise math tests just make zero sense, there may be lotsa things I don't know, but if I know one thing with absolute certainty it's that numbers skills have zilch to do with trading skill.

And I should know, I have pretty much total and absolute mathematical dyslexia, but I am a pretty good trader with no other source of income.

436.jpg

Markus,

Uni was the best time of my life - as close as one is to get to total freedom.

Grant.

If Uni was the best time of your life - would you do it all over again ? I would love to do a masters in finance or something - but know it would do nothing for my trading. Shame really.
CT.

Last edited:
CT,

A Master's isn't too onerous - only 9-months.

I doubt I could do it all again. Older and different, and all that.

Grant.

If Uni was the best time of your life - would you do it all over again ? I would love to do a masters in finance or something - but know it would do nothing for my trading. Shame really.
CT.

CT, you could always do a BA in physology, that should help some. Like behaviour finance :)

I got the same email today... But I'm in france and not sure to go if they take only 5 guys out of 100 after the test...

I have found Futex and also Futex Trading Academy on their website. Is the Academy like a trading school for public? Or it is for their own trainee trader?

Haha, Futex. Now there is a name I didnt hear in a long while. Great place.

They offered me a job like 2 years ago, which I promptly accepted. Never to hear from them ever again. They have the organisation skills of my 3 year old nephew and the memory of a goldfish!

Haha, Futex. Now there is a name I didnt hear in a long while. Great place.

They offered me a job like 2 years ago, which I promptly accepted. Never to hear from them ever again. They have the organisation skills of my 3 year old nephew and the memory of a goldfish!

HAHA! well if you promptly accepted the position why did you not chase it up when they did not reply?? Seems like the obvious thing to do.... no?? Maybe your e-mail didnt reach them? I have a three year old nephew too and even he would chase it up! duh! :?:

I actually got a better offer which is why I didnt chase them up. They responded to my acceptance with, we will be in touch in due course.. and well unless they went bust, they are completely disorganised (and I dont know which is worse). At no point did i tell them that i was not going to join them so im still waiting for the contract in the post... :p

And as common sense goes, considering I have been working on the trading floor for a while now. I am certain that your nephew would have more common sense than me