FTSE weightings

Robertral

What are the weightings for the stocks in the FTSE 100????
Is there a list available????

I have the same question. I can't see it on the website anymore. Anyone know where we can find it on the web?

I have the same question. I can't see it on the website anymore. Anyone know where we can find it on the web?

Go to the ftse.com website and the list is available as a pdf. Here's the link to the site: FTSE UK Index Series - FTSE

And attached is the latest pdf of the FTSE 100 as of 31 July 2012 and the FTSE 250 as well.

Attachments

• UKX_20120731.pdf
    149.1 KB · Views: 937
  • MCX_20120731.pdf
    157 KB · Views: 535
Go to the ftse.com website and the list is available as a pdf. Here's the link to the site: FTSE UK Index Series - FTSE

And attached is the latest pdf of the FTSE 100 as of 31 July 2012 and the FTSE 250 as well.
Thank you for your effort. However we are looking for the index weightings which are not shown on this PDF. (In fact it does show the top10 only). Any other ideas?

I don't think there is a static list because the weighting is fluid as market capitalisations change. Size of ftse is measured by market capitalisation. That's the value of all the shares added together. The larger the market capitalisation of each constituent the bigger its percentage of the index.

If you've got the top ten the rest are much of a muchness - have a google search or go here FTSE 100 Company Research (UKX) Share Prices, Charts, News, Financials, and More - Digital Look and just work from the capitalisations to give you a rough guide.

Thank you for your effort. However we are looking for the index weightings which are not shown on this PDF. (In fact it does show the top10 only). Any other ideas?

I don't think there is a static list because the weighting is fluid as market capitalisations change. Size of ftse is measured by market capitalisation. That's the value of all the shares added together. The larger the market capitalisation of each constituent the bigger its percentage of the index.

If you've got the top ten the rest are much of a muchness - have a google search or go here FTSE 100 Company Research (UKX) Share Prices, Charts, News, Financials, and More - Digital Look and just work from the capitalisations to give you a rough guide.

barjon's right. It's probably going to take a bit of manual labour. Make a spreadsheet, drop in the FTSE 100 constituents and then put in their market cap value and then you can calculate the percentage weightings for all the stocks yourself. But as you can see on the pdf, the top ten make up 47.06% and it shows the weightings for the all the sectors too which is very useful to know imo.

Or look at what new_trader just pasted below :)

interesting isnt it that such an important factor (key to understanding the FTSE - or indeed any Index) appears to be difficult to find !

N

FTSE constituant and weight changes take place quarterly and I think are announced in advance. Also note weightings are based on free-float NOT actual number of shares . . .

http://www.ftse.com/Media_Centre/Downloads/FTSE_100_Constituent_history.pdf
methodology . .. http://www.ftse.com/Indices/UK_Indices/Downloads/FTSE_UK_Index_Series_Guide_to_Calculation.pdf

But surprised like everyone else that the actual weightings arn't transparant. I note that Bloomberg provides this data but "Index weight (%) calculated by Bloomberg" . . . hmmmmm