FTSE 100 trading positions on IG Markets

akyfsl

Hi there Im new to this forums although have been trading on IG markets since Novemeber 2008 , I have found it reasonable easy to make a living out of trading the ftse100 I have eventually handed my notice in at my work. I have come to this forum to give advice and hopefully learn more to my knowledge . I usually open 1 to 2 positions on ftse100 daily min contract which is £2/ point a day, I try to execute the postion before end of Wall St close on the day.

I have made £ 4, 900 since November and am thinking of increasing my positions!
I currently opened 1 positon on friday at 2000 hours ( 1 , £2/point ftse 100 sell position @ 4303)
the great thing of trading on the indices is there is no comissions . and also no tax to pay on your gains!

Lot of people are saying a temporary bull market has begun , but I think otherwise the market has been showing the bull signs and a few good news on the economy has helped , but more gloomy news to be released on Monday will make the Ftse dip below 4250 again where my trailing limit is placed and my stop limit is place at 4400.

Please leave threads on any positions opened and lets help each other,

Hi there Im new to this forums although have been trading on IG markets since Novemeber 2008 , I have found it reasonable easy to make a living out of trading the ftse100 I have eventually handed my notice in at my work. I have come to this forum to give advice and hopefully learn more to my knowledge . I usually open 1 to 2 positions on ftse100 daily min contract which is £2/ point a day, I try to execute the postion before end of Wall St close on the day.

I currently opened 1 positon on friday at 2000 hours ( 1 , £2/point ftse 100 sell position @ 4303)
the great thing of trading on the indices is there is no comissions . and also no tax to pay on your gains!

Lot of people are saying a temporary bull market has begun , but I think otherwise the market has been showing the bull signs and a few good news on the economy has helped , but more gloomy news to be released on Monday will make the Ftse dip below 4250 again where my trailing limit is placed and my stop limit is place at 4400.

sounds good (y)

sounds good (y)

well i will have my eyes on the forum in the morning and hope people will be posting thier ideas throughout the day, i think is going to be an interesting day tomorrow especialy in the am session and opening of the US markets, i have to say i might be sitting on the fence if im honest as ive have had my fingers burnt this week lossing half my cash:cry:

only been trading for a couple of weeks and had early profits (luck) then its all gonne pear shaped recenlty and need all the help and advice i can get, justt seems like the markets against me lol i go long the market goes down and vice verser, maybe people should use me to show what thre markets not goung to do lol

Alex

by the way i think thats a good shout to go short at 4303 got bigger balls than me!

well you have mad a choice to quit work which was pretty epic. if you had been trading for 3 years i would have not been concerned. especially as its going to be difficult to get any work now.

anyway with regards to the trading, i wouldnt come onto a forum expecting anyone knows any better than anyone else. we are here to find knowledge and some people share worthwhile knowledge. your system may have worked as the market was pretty one way since end of 2007.

now its flat and rangey.

you will have to do the hard work yourself. i still go to work as it keeps the capital coming in until i am satisfied to not do a day job maybe when im 30. (just turned 27)

you may have seen there are now several threads for the ftse. forums are actually pretty useless for trying to find out where the market is going, you really need to build your own system, you will not find any indicators or paid systems that show you the way. this post is repeated throughout the site over and over.

I can confidently say this from my own experience, im a year in and not in profit. I have done extensive research, demo trading, testing and then more testing and research and then live trading. I have used different vendor charts, indicators etc and kept a log book for the development of my system. recently the current one is paying dividends. and you know what - its the most simple system i have used, i use an ema, fibonaccis and momentum - thats it.

for your situation i would seriously consider getting some work. you will get yourself into a real state if you havent had the experience of losing.

Hi seems to have attracted alot of intrest any Im replying to the thread above , for any of you who wants good advice and predictions from the professionals, I usually visit the site below:
Britishbulls, Home Page

now this site trys to predict the closing of the ftse and other indices on a daily and weekly basis their percentage of successful predictions is very good too , around 75% but please also use your own built up systems because the more info will strengthen your positions, i.e some people like going in for short time days maybe weeks ( traders) or long time months but usually years (investers ). but the more resources you will have the more chance of success you will have too. The site usually predicts form the candle sticks.

Interesting.........good trading and congratulations on your trading success, long may it continue

If you are interested in live calls then me and a few friends do live calls on message for FTSE traders thread under UK indices......

do join us as you are more than welcome

live call only !!

Hi folks Id thought Id let you know Iv just executed my position which I opened last Friday at 4303 (see 1st post on top) . I sold it on the futures at 20:55 just before wall street close at 4152 and have released a profit of £302 plus intrest paid on my positon of £3.40 so I good trade at £305.40 I can see ftse opening much lower than close around or below 4130 will be a good place to get in for a buying postion. because I cant see the market bottoming out due to the stimlus package by obama , and also the reassurance given by Brown ,(remember when Ftse falls theirs always some leader to the rescue) but when it climbs NO LEADER wants to see it go down. so when short selling be CAUTIOS!!!

Akyfsl, welcome, you are brave to give up your job and start trading. Hope it may continue as your expectation. I only speak from experience, it's a tough profession, a steep learning curve, and the most difiicult part is understanding yourself, your fear and greed. It takes a long time for everything to fall in place.

I never doubt the enthusiasm of somebody new to the game, I only pray that any shortfall will not have a profound affect on their lifestyle. May you prosper, but tread carefully.

Last edited:
Hello mate I take positions on the FTSE100 with IGmarkets as well.

That's brave of you to quit your job and take this up full time. Good luck to you mate.

Viks

My understanding was that CGT is payable on gains from trading Index Futures, am I wrong??

My understanding was that CGT is payable on gains from trading Index Futures, am I wrong??

He's spread betting which is not currently subect to cgt or income tax. Government derives their income from the spread companies who seem to make good profits. Their average customer loses.

He's spread betting which is not currently subect to cgt or income tax. Government derives their income from the spread companies who seem to make good profits. Their average customer loses.

Ah, I see, thanks. The IG Markets link went through to their CFD trading site, hence my confusion!

Don't think IG Markets (CFD's) is tax free... IG Index (Spreadbetting) definitely is.

Ask IG i guess - i use a firm called suffolk life and trade equities through mine.

I am planning to join a British uni for my post graduate studies in Sept 09. I am also an avid stocks and derivatives trader.

I wanted to know if a person is in UK with a student visa, is he allowed to trade in UK stock exchanges especially some of these interesting products like SPREAD BETTING ?

Is there any website where I can get a demo account to try out spread betting using virtual money.

Thanks

I am planning to join a British uni for my post graduate studies in Sept 09. I am also an avid stocks and derivatives trader.

I wanted to know if a person is in UK with a student visa, is he allowed to trade in UK stock exchanges especially some of these interesting products like SPREAD BETTING ?

Is there any website where I can get a demo account to try out spread betting using virtual money.

Thanks

I don't think its porblem if u trade your own money but they might have problem if u do it as a full time job with a prop firm.

Shopfront,

Thanks for your quick response. Trading is a part time activity for me so don't think I will be doing a full time job on the markets.

Thanks