FTSE 100 Timeframes

rmaskell

I'm relatively new to trading but am SB the FTSE 100 on a 15 minute chart on IG using simple 10,40 & 100 MA to start with.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether this is a suitable timeframe or whether I should be looking and shorter / longer timeframes.

Many thanks for your help.

Robert

I'm relatively new to trading but am SB the FTSE 100 on a 15 minute chart on IG using simple 10,40 & 100 MA to start with.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether this is a suitable timeframe or whether I should be looking and shorter / longer timeframes.

Many thanks for your help.

Robert

Personally, wouldn't use anything less than a 1 hour timeframe to gain a reasonable trend direction, anything less is just 'noise' imho, you could try using the lower t/f to get into the trend following the retracement and reversal back into the trend. hope thats helps

as Dinos said using larger timeframes is helpful in defining the trend, generally i use the smaller (10,5,1 min) frames to define my entry/exit points.
sometimes having 2 or even 3 charts (of say FTSE) in different timeframes side by side can be useful, it gives a clearer overall picture of whats happening.
try different combinations until you find whatever your comfortable with

To be honest it's all relative. If you're trading a daily chart then the H1 is noise. If I'm trading a 10 tick chart the H1 is probably so far away from where I'm trading that it's not relevant.

On the basis that no timeframe is distinguishable from the other once "time" has been removed I totally disagree with the term "noise" in the strongest possible sense.

Reading between the lines maybe you're asking what's the easiest time frame to make money on and the answer to that is there ain't one. What works on a daily chart will work on the 1 minute chart (obviously with smaller profits on the 1 minute chart)