Best Thread Free excel trading log template

Rogh

I've put this trading log together in excel - thought some of you might find it useful. Take a look at the accompanying word file as there's a couple of loose ends. Hopefully it will develop and be re-posted from time to time. Rogh

***** T2W Edit *****
At the request of Rogh, the first version of the template referred to above has been removed - as there is a more up to date version - please scroll down!

Attachments

• Explanation of Rogh log v1.doc
    66 KB · Views: 17,260
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Free Excel trading log template (V3)

Here's the latest version of a free excel tool I developed to analyze each trade’s risk factors, in the form of reward/risk ratio and R multiple. It is also its useful when testing new trading systems to gauge their expectancy.

Feel free to use it as you wish. Its not great for intraday trading as it takes too long to input data but for longer term trades helps me to be mindful of capital protection.

A few points:
• The initial entries are fictitious – just used for testing (It will be better to just overwrite them rather than deleting them and risk losing the formulas).
• The yellow columns are the only ones that require data input.
• Cell error messages (e.g. #div/0) relate to empty or ‘0’ content cells and correct themselves on corresponding data entry.

A few column explanations:

Reward / Risk ratio
A ratio used by many investors to compare the expected returns of an investment to the amount of risk undertaken to capture these returns. This ratio is calculated mathematically by dividing the amount of profit the trader expects to have made when the position is closed (i.e. the reward) by the amount he or she stands to lose if price moves in the unexpected direction (i.e. the risk). http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/riskrewardratio.asp

Com+Stamp
Commission fees plus stamp duty. (Commission fixed at 2x£8. Stamp duty 0.5 of purchase cost)

Net P/L
Profit or loss including commission and fees.

R multiple
R Multiple: P&L divided by the Initial Risk.
“You want your losses to be 1R or less. That means if you say you’ll get out of a stock when it drops $50 to $40, then you actually GET OUT when it drops to $40. If you get out when it drops to $30, then your loss is much bigger than 1R.
It’s twice what you were planning to lose or a 2R loss. And you want to avoid that possibility at all costs.
You want your profits to ideally be much bigger than 1R. For example, you buy a stock at $8 and plan to get out if it drops to $6, so that your initial 1R loss is $2 per share. You now make a profit of $20 per share. Since this is 10 times what you were planning to risk we call it a 10R profit.”
http://www.iitm.com/sm-risk-and-r-multiples.htm

Expectancy
Average (mean) of the R-multiple.

Expectancy gives you the average R-value that you can expect from the system over many trades. Put another way, expectancy tells you how much you can expect to make on the average, per dollar risked, over a number of trades.

At the heart of all trading is the simplest of all concepts—that the bottom-line results must show a positive mathematical expectation in order for the trading method to be profitable. ~ Chuck Branscomb
http://www.iitm.com/sm-Expectancy.htm

In its creation, two other trading logs, found online, were referenced:
1. Trader Mike. (Trading journal.xls)
http://tradermike.net/2006/01/my_trading_journal_excel_spreadsheet/
2. Clambill. (Trading Log.xls)
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-software/36117-free-spreadsheet-trading-log.html

Hope you find it useful

Attachments

• Trading log v3.xls
    335 KB · Views: 34,692
Re: Free Excel trading log template (V3)

Here is a free copy of a trade review I send to people... It is very simple but effective.

Attachments

• Copy of Tradereview-SFO.xls
    61 KB · Views: 21,583
Wow, this is great! I started my own spreadsheet/journal when I first started and wasn't quite sure of what to log, and how to organize it. This helps tremendously and I look forward to seeing the patterns that will spell out.

Only have my phone for internet at the moment so can't see any of your files. I've my own spreadsheet which simulates my spread bet account to keep me on the straight and narrow re leverage and multiple positions etc.
But it's not a log file so looking forward to seeing your log file !

I don't know if it is my dopy computer, or the dope using the computer but I can not get the trading log or journal to down load, is anyone else having an issue?

Forex Trading Income Calculator

Hi,

Can you please help me with an excel worksheet for calculating my Forex income compounding monthly with changing risk ratios... I have seen one on videos of Inner Circle Trader but have failed creating one or find one of similar nature.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Regards
Ayanda - South Africa:smart:

Trading Journal

Thanks for posting your trading journal ideas.

I am trying to improve my trading journal which is integrated with my Forex trading dashboard. I found some use full features in your post, worthy of incorporating in my trading log.

If anyone interested to see/access my Forex dashboard let me know.

Jas Mahay

Thank you so much for sharing this. It will be a huge help in getting me up and running with my own trading journal.

Much appreciated.

Really useful, indeed. I started making some modifications and will share the update.

One question - how do you file a trade done in a few tranches? Say, I buy 300 shares of a given company at 10$, then buy again 300 at 15$. Later, sell 200 each at 20$, 25$ and 30$. Any tips on how best to manage that?

Yes I like it too - although as a data nerd, I do use the online applications. But to start with, using a simple excel template is great. Also allows you to keep track throughout the day (as an old timer, I use a print out and pen and paper for that)