fractals edge

ANDRE17

Hi there anyone heard of this product at all and any views would be appreciated -thanks

no - but applying Mandelbrot's fractals to chart patterns is fascinating. I have no doubt that markets exhibit fractals, as do so many other areas of life and nature

Andre

Bill Wiliams work on trading chaos I believe is very similair, not going to get into who is copying who but few differences.

I prefer Williams work

One Eyed Shark said:
. . .
Bill Wiliams work on trading chaos I believe is very similair
. . .

Nay nay and thrice nay.

Williams has nothing at all to do with fractal mathematics. He may use the right buzz words, but it's clear that he's applying them to his own ideas (which, iirc, revolve around a couple of moving averages and scaling into positions). The guy's a total charleton imo.

(note : have only got New Trading Dimensions: How to Profit from Chaos in Stocks, Bonds and Commodities, read it once and threw it away)

The only worthwhile (as it aplllys to the markets) book I've read recently is The (Mis)behaviour of Markets: A Fractal View of Risk, Ruin and Reward by Mandelbrot.

a very interesting read....Mandelbrot understands that markets have "memory", and that price movements are sometimes "ripples" from price movement years (and even decades) before

You might want to try PM-ing Pat494 if he doesn't reply first hand. I know he tried some fractals-based software, but not sure if it was this one.

My post regarding Williams work was in relation to the similairities it has to fractals edge software not the relvance to Mandelbrot.

Mandelbrot is a world apart from fractals edge/ profitunity

Fractals edge/ Williams profitunity are one in the same, same oscillators, M A's, same entries etc etc just different names, one is a copy of the other

Depends on your style of trading and what you trade but can be very beneficial

Wouldnt pay for the fractals edge stuff as Williams indicators are available free with Sierra and Tradestation, cant comment on other platforms.

Jack o'Clubs said:
You might want to try PM-ing Pat494 if he doesn't reply first hand. I know he tried some fractals-based software, but not sure if it was this one.

thanks mate, i'll give it ago. :cheesy:

Trading Chaos by Bill Williams and Fractal Edge

Hi

I was looking for posts about Bill Williams and Trading Chaos to see whether anyone else is trading with these methods, when I came accross your post.

I think 'total charleton' is a bit harsh to be honest. I've read Trading Chaos (Version2) and I will admit that I've not tried to look into how robust the science behind the methods are, but I now use this approach to trade index, futures, comodities and currencies and I find it very pretty good. In my hands it gives a win loss ratio of about 60:40 and about a 2:1 profit to loss ratio. So I'm quite happy with it. Made about 30% last year and on course to better that this year.

I've not used any of his other materials (home study course or seminars) because I found the book adequate. I've also read his previous books - I found these interesting (especially the Elliot Wave approach in the first book), but I haven't tried trading these approaches so I dont really know for sure.

There are without doubt quite a few 'trading education charlatons' out there, but from my reading I would not put WIlliams amongst them - I think his books are well worth a read.

Anyone else trading with these methods - I'd be interested to exchange 'notes'.

Regards

Mark

A Dashing Blade said:
Nay nay and thrice nay.

Williams has nothing at all to do with fractal mathematics. He may use the right buzz words, but it's clear that he's applying them to his own ideas (which, iirc, revolve around a couple of moving averages and scaling into positions). The guy's a total charleton imo.

(note : have only got New Trading Dimensions: How to Profit from Chaos in Stocks, Bonds and Commodities, read it once and threw it away)

The only worthwhile (as it aplllys to the markets) book I've read recently is The (Mis)behaviour of Markets: A Fractal View of Risk, Ruin and Reward by Mandelbrot.

My Dissertation at Uni was using Fractals to analyse Financial Markets. I found some interesting patterns that could be useful for trading. But that was like 9 years ago and I have moved on and tried other strategies since. I may yet revisit my little research...

jamus said:
My Dissertation at Uni was using Fractals to analyse Financial Markets. I found some interesting patterns that could be useful for trading. But that was like 9 years ago and I have moved on and tried other strategies since. I may yet revisit my little research...

Hi

Interesting that you did some work in this area and then didn't go on to use it in practice. I haven't really looked into the theory too much, just (after having read 10's of books on trading methods) seemed to settle on this one.

Mark

I am having trouble grasping reading bill williams fractals chart. IS there a basic way to look at this chart adn see what the market is doing.

Hi guys.. I am experimenting with the automated trading of Fractals combined with a few other BIll Williams indicators.... initial results are very promising with a 45% win and 2.5x profitable to losing trade ratio.... on 3 minute bars and coded in C+ it works like a dream sofar - but you have to trade the right product. I have always liked the simplicity of Bill Williams work. I feel that the weakness in any system is the person trading it - thats why I went for automation - I know that my own emotional dynamic would sabotage even a good system.

Good hunting.

Anyone read "Chaos and Order in the Capital Markets" by Peters? I read it 10 years ago but couldn't find anything useful in it then. Just thinking about re-reading it now.