forex - how much leverage to use

The simplest way is to think about what the strike rate (winning trades as a % of total trades) of your edge is at the R:R ratio you use....then look at what the chances of a consecutive losing run of x is at that strike rate...see table below

Let's say your strike rate is 70% at your chosen R:R...at this strike rate the chances of a consecutive losing run of 7 trades over the next 50 trades is 1% ...now 2 things to take into account;

a. Not all losses come consecutively as above - you could suffer a prolonged period of drawdown/losses from non consecutive losses
b. Not all winning trades will result in the R:R target as your trade management may result in less or b/e.
c. You may not always stick to the rules of your edge resulting in more losing (or winning trades) and/or not all trades running to the R:R target if winners.

Now you need to decide what your maximum risk tolerance is - let's say it is a 30% drawdown to your account - you need to over accommodate for this so that it has only a small chance of happening - (most trades that reach their max risk tolerance - never recover that a/c) Ie because of a. , b. , and c. , above let's say this 30% needs to represent twice the number of consecutive losing trades at that 1% possibility for safety so 2 x 7 losing trades = 14 losing trades = 30% of your account, so 100% of your account would effectively be 46 losing trades...which gives a rounded down 2% risk/trade.

G/L

.........if that is the case i believe as BBMAC suggests it really comes down to your system's key stats, is there a math formula to help with this?

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 239
Leverage should be selected wisely because some times it becomes a killer for traders. With high leverage they will use more margin from their capital , they will do multiple trading that will difficult to manage soon they face margin call.

Higher leverage higher risk so I only use 1:100, it's safe enough to keep my account away from burning.

I'm trading with Hotforex and leverage can be up to 1:1000

Higher leverage higher risk so I only use 1:100, it's safe enough to keep my account away from burning.

I'm trading with Hotforex and leverage can be up to 1:1000

Same. That will control ourselves not to increase positions in losing direction.

I use 1:50 (I know it is still too much, but, my greed.... )

Personally, I have to agree with 1:10 - 1:15.

Smaller leverage helps you to avoid the burning fast, but it would make last longer to get enough profit.

Since you will never have "enough money" the best thing is to mitigate risk and let it determine your leverage.
Secondly, as a general hedge fund rule" the more you invest, the lesser leverage you should have and vice versa.
You can recover a loss from a small account by trading small on a big account but you cant recover a big loss using a small account.
Bottom line: its sup to you!