forex fundementals

tetoncambria

I realize that there are a lot of variables that can change these situations, but could someone give me some insight into how inflation and interest rates change affect the fx markets. I have noticed through the dollar and euro that interest rate increase mean appreciation of that currency. But what about the Yen and their deflation? I know this is probably a lengthy topic, but if anyone could give me a quick overview I would greatly appreciate it.

TheBramble said:
My spyware and popup blocker caught whatever this url was trying to do, but only quick task manager action from me stopped it installing whatever it was trying to install.

Anyone else have this?

Blocked a couple of pop ups but loaded ok. It wasn't really worth it mind as it only had a few rows of headlines (available anywhere) and then a whole page of 'recommendations'!

I'd stick with http://www.forexfactory.com to know whats coming up and use a different news announcer, IMO.

Jezza

tetoncambria said:
I realize that there are a lot of variables that can change these situations, but could someone give me some insight into how inflation and interest rates change affect the fx markets. I have noticed through the dollar and euro that interest rate increase mean appreciation of that currency. But what about the Yen and their deflation? I know this is probably a lengthy topic, but if anyone could give me a quick overview I would greatly appreciate it.

From a basic sort of level it's generally the case that the currency who's interest rate is higher and/or gaining against the other will receive and upward push. Witness the carry trade in USD/JPY which has traders buying Dollars and selling Yen to profit from the rate spread.

That situation, however, assumes most or all other things being relatively equal. All bets are off when you're talking about currencies with widely divergent economic situations. Rising rates in an inflation influenced currency will not necessarily help that currency against others.

Gj, Had a quick look at the Saxo bank website. Is the research and links you mention in the members area? Be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
hampy

Baruch said:
It's the fundamentals which rules the markets, so you must get information about the fundamentals to trade forex. You can start here:

http://www.fxtoday.co.uk/

i'm starting to think it's best to trade off fundamentals and throw techinicals out the window....technicals don't control fundamentals...

They live in harmony. It's all bout 'Rates' & the accompanying data confirmers at the moment, so if you're engaging via the larger timeframes, you should be fine.

Fine tuning (via the Fundamental leader) entries & profit pares thru the hourly reference will most definitely offer a clearer path whilst price is shunting thru the range(s).

Shorter timeframe punts without taking heed of the major (Fundamental) influences will get you tangled up in all sorts of problems until the picture regards post March Stateside rates becomes clearer.

Stepping back a little from all the hustle & bustle is a sensible option when trading these crazy instruments.

ampro said:
They live in harmony. It's all bout 'Rates' & the accompanying data confirmers at the moment, so if you're engaging via the larger timeframes, you should be fine.

Fine tuning (via the Fundamental leader) entries & profit pares thru the hourly reference will most definitely offer a clearer path whilst price is shunting thru the range(s).

Shorter timeframe punts without taking heed of the major (Fundamental) influences will get you tangled up in all sorts of problems until the picture regards post March Stateside rates becomes clearer.

Stepping back a little from all the hustle & bustle is a sensible option when trading these crazy instruments.
thanks for the input...got it...larger time frames seem to buffer explosive fundamentals...

mrscooting said:
i'm starting to think it's best to trade off fundamentals and throw techinicals out the window....technicals don't control fundamentals...

It all depends on your risk appetite and the money managment rules you are following .

ulness ur ready to see market trading against you for 500~800 pips , relying only on fundamentals is very risky and emotionaly very unpleasant .

timing is everything in this business : i simply dont know any other method to solve this timeing issue other than TA .

plus there this new story of Algorithmic trading (which nothing else than a combination of TA methods) , a growing number of traders (banks and big firms) are applying it .. so step by step TA will be the only way to profit from this ever complex markets .

a good example of divergence btween fundamentals and the market facts is indeed the yen story : the fair value of the yen is something arround 100 againt the usd but the yen is getting weaker !

also if you think about interest rates : sterling should weaken substantialy (Fed still in hiking mood whereas the MPC will likely cut at least one leg down) . but we see sterling resisting to the usd advance .. inpart because of huge M&A activities this recent months .

there are other example of conficting and realy difficult fundamentals fact to undestand and figure out .

so simply one has to LEARN TA IN PROPER WAY then :

- plan your trade and trade your plan
- drastic money managment
- no hope no fear : trade with 0 emotions

intersting subsject : and there is realy more to talk about

hope this helps

Regards
Stormy :cool: