For those of you who think that spread betting firms only make money if you lose.

Most of the threads on that forum related to the virtual dealer or boston technologies have been deleted. Accounts that posted pics and quotes from the boston technologies website regarding it have been suspended.

Peter

Did Boston Technologies write the Virtual Dealer Plugin? I know they talked about their 'bridging' software and how it could be used to set slippage but is VDP their tool?

Did Boston Technologies write the Virtual Dealer Plugin? I know they talked about their 'bridging' software and how it could be used to set slippage but is VDP their tool?

Yes, BT is the creator and owner of the software. There is no longer any mention of it on their site even if you search the products link.

Peter

ADDED: It's possible that the product in its original form is no longer available or they changed the name of it.

Just MT4? What about all the other systems? Worth asking on this forum: Virtual Dealer Plug-in for Metatrader? - MQL4 forum
Granted there are also valid reasons for needing to delay execution in times of volatility, etc.
Worldspreads is one thing (zerospreads) but they are also cheap, so their systems are slow anyway.

There used to be something on the Ariel Comms site about customiseable slippage on their platfrom. Maybe they don't want to boast about it now?:)

Well, all I can say is find a reputable broker. I accept your points that perhaps it goes on, I just think that a lot of losing traders use this as an excuse when the reality is it's their trades. I regularly monitor my SB broker with my DMA platform and never see much of a difference.
It would be nice to speak to a dealing desk person at some point just out of interest to see what happens. The FSA legal requirement for hedging has some grey areas: Hedging Client Positions

There used to be something on the Ariel Comms site about customiseable slippage on their platfrom. Maybe they don't want to boast about it now?:)

Nobody will be boasting about it when the NFA and CFTC are dishing out fines for using these type of things.

It was an (obviously failed) attempt at humour.

Needing to choose buy or sell prior to placing the trade being a bit of a constraint...?

Sorry. Wrong day. Wrong Place. Wrong time. LIke most of my trades...

For the naive - those who think that spread betting companies don't care if you lose or win.

I've heard somewhere that at their offices some of them have sort of alert (like a cheerful tune) every time clients suffer losses.

For the naive - those who think that spread betting companies don't care if you lose or win.

I've heard somewhere that at their offices some of them have sort of alert (like a cheerful tune) every time clients suffer losses.

even the ones who lose a £20 trade? must be playing that tune repetitively :) :cheesy:

even the ones who lose a £20 trade? must be playing that tune repetitively :) :cheesy:

I don’t know - they wouldn’t let me in. I guess there are different tunes for different losses.

It would be nice if there was a disgruntled employee to shed some light on it.

I don’t know - they wouldn’t let me in. I guess there are different tunes for different losses.

It would be nice if there was a disgruntled employee to shed some light on it.

Well there was a while back but his posts disappeared in an instant and he was never heard of again. Still sooner or later the press will get a hold of it and various chav SB 'brokers' will be humiliated. Won't be a day too soon.