FIX API Programmer

sweetie pete

I'm looking to trade via a FIX connection so will need a programmer to build or customise an API connection, any one done this and have experience. ALso some idea of cost. Thnxs.

Its important to know exactly what you are looking for before you start hiring. You can hire quants to build you a high end program and they will charge around £500 - £1000 a day. Then again you can go to the programmer sites and get a simple program for a few thousand.

So it really depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks, not sure what I need, so will start talking to programmers first.

Just another word of advice before you start speaking with programmers. You yourself must know what functionality you require. What indicators, strategy testing, reporting and writing strategies etc.

It can be an expensive process otherwise.

Good Luck.

I work as a programmer for an investment bank and have extensive experience of building applications such as this. Send me a PM if you wish to discuss further.

Or if you have some programming experience, grab a copy of QuickFIX and give it a go yourself, it's not too tricky and gives reasonable performance - I'm assuming you're not too worried about latency when considering going down the FIX route. If you do give it a try you should be able to find people to help you with your queries.

Using something like QuickFIX and it's API is fine if you need the full protocol functionality but if your needs are quite simple (submit, modify, cancel, orders) I find it easier to build the message strings from scratch and send/receive to/from a socket directly. Relatively easy to do in many programming languages.