Factors influencing coal prices

Inspired

Hi All,

I have an interview coming up for an options trading role in the coal and freight markets. The last few days have been spent cramming in as much as possible about options theory and the Greeks etc. Now I need to learn about the coal market but this has been surprisingly difficult as I haven’t been able to find much online.

The interview is for the trading arm of a major energy utility company, so I’ll concentrate on thermal coal. I’m trying to find out what the main factors are influencing the price of coal?

From what I’ve learnt so far - and please do correct me if this is wrong – the main factors are:

Demand Side

Coal demand is highly dependent on energy demand, as the majority of power generation in several countries (such as China, India and South Africa) comes from coal generation. In addition, the single largest proportion of world-wide power generation comes from coal generation.

Significant demand from China and India is increasingly accounting for the bulk of worldwide coal usage. Hence, coal demand and consequently coal prices will depend on the strength of the Economic recovery in the emerging markets, particularly China and India as mentioned.

If other forms of power-generation such as gas or oil become expensive, this will increase the demand for coal as an alternative form of energy generation.

As several of the coal commodity currencies (Aussie Dollar, South African Rand and the Columbian Peso) have floating exchange rates, any appreciation in the value of these currencies consequently increases the price for holders of non-commodity currencies. As price increases, obviously demand will fall, depending on how elastic demand is. Therefore, it will be macro-economic factors such as GDP, trade deficit, national debt, inflation, interest rates that can indirectly influence the price of coal. Also, I know the AUD is quite a popular currency for the carry trade, so I’d imagine that the strength of the AUD will be dependent on how popular it remains as a carry trade currency, which in part will depend on the whether interest rates remain low in the US, thereby increasing the popularity of the USD/AUD carry trade pair etc. (This last part could all be rubbish)

Supply Side

Even though coal is a finite resource, supply is not a problem in the medium term as global reserves are still large, and technologies for the extraction and utilisation of coal improve.

If there is anything that is wrong or inaccurate, please do correct me. Also, there is anything significant that I’ve missed, I’d love to know what it is. I feel there should be a lot more for the supply side.

Thanks very much for any help.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm currently working in a big energy firm as a coal trader, what firm are you actually applying to?

Regarding coal prices, all the sells are in USD, so don't really worry about the local currencies. You should get some information on API2 and API4 which you will be using everyday.

here's a short pdf which will give you some insight: http://www.eex.com/de/document/8661/Konzept_Kohle_Release_engl_01B.pdf

One main factor is shipping and thus weather and all the other incovenients linked with physical trading.
Furthermore , China is becoming a big coal buyer for its power plants, try to gather some info around that, (FT, economist etc..). The prices are rocketing because of them.

I guess that's the main things you need to know, good luck for your interview.
Here's a link to the API4 value on bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/cbuilder?ticker1=API4YR1:IND

Oh and tou can talk about a correlation between oil and coal, although it has never been proven so be careful.

Enjoy :)
and