Evolution and trading

JTrader

Hi

trading is a working environment that never stands still. On the trading side of trading, the markets are always changing and evolving and a trader is unableto/cannot afford to assume that trading techniques that work today will continue to work as successfully in the future.

The other side of trading is technology. Recent history has seen all technologies advance at a speed never before witnessed in human history.

Information Technology (computer and Internet technology) does not stand still and is constantly advancing.

Similarly trading technologies - their capabilites and affordability are also constantly evolving. These include, trading software, charting software, market data and broker platforms.......
It's only within very recent years that UK level 2 data has become accessible to private individual inverstors. Trading software and real-time charting software are revised and updated every 6 months or so. Brokers are in competition with each other and are/should be constantly having to improve the service that they offer in order to retain clients - narrower spreads, instant execution, no requotes, no slippage, guaranteed fills and guaranteed stop losses etc. etc. As the capabilities for electronic trading advance, brokers and software providers are also offering more advanced capabilities such as full automation of trades.

My question is more focused upon the technology side of trading, and is perhaps aimed (although not exclusively) at people who have been trading (on an intraday full-time basis) for a few years.

Without including minor automatic software upgrades from your broker such as what Deal4free do every now and again, on average how often would you say you have to change some part of your trading setup - (hardware component, your computer, software, broker, ISP, data supplier etc. etc.) - for reasons such as those mentioned above?

Many thanks

jtrader.

Last edited:
OK,

now can I address the first part of your commentary . what worked yesterday may not work today = true , but then will it work again once market conditions cycle around back to where they were ?

from experience I find that is true . and yes I have been a full time trade 1 way or another for a number of years .