Euro vs USD

Bono

With the euro holding it's support at around 12080 against the dollar are we in for a swing to the up side?

Head and Shoulders Break level

Bono said:
With the euro holding it's support at around 12080 against the dollar are we in for a swing to the up side?

Yes support found at around 12050 on the downside. If the dollar strengthens and we see a break below 12000 then look out for aggressive selling towards a head and shoulders break at 11944/60...

spreadboy said:
Yes support found at around 12050 on the downside. If the dollar strengthens and we see a break below 12000 then look out for aggressive selling towards a head and shoulders break at 11944/60...

Dropped today (friday) too 12000, what time frame would you give before going long? and would the upside be limited too the 12300 mark to complete the head and shoulders??

Bono said:
Dropped today (friday) too 12000, what time frame would you give before going long? and would the upside be limited too the 12300 mark to complete the head and shoulders??
A head and shoulders pattern needs to be confirmed by a break through the neckline (w/volume for markets lucky enough to have true volume figures). An aggressive trader would short EUR/USD when the neckline is pierced and a more cautious trader would wait for a failed test trying to go back through the neckline. Either way, the head and shoulders formation points down. On a longer term basis, it’s hard to ignore the fundamentals (twin US deficits) that point to a much weaker USD. Personally, the picture looks confused enough to me that I am only doing intraday trades in the Euro following any intraday trends. The only longer term trade I have is short GBP/USD (it broke the neckline earlier this week and they are at or near the top of their interest rate cycle) but I will take profits if I see renewed USD weakness. Here is a link to some basic info on a head and shoulders pattern: http://www.incrediblecharts.com/technical/head_and_shoulders.htm

btw- I'm not indorsing this site, it was the first one I found with a Google search.

Cheers,

TRADERguy

Last edited:
Looks like my inexperience of looking at charts will cost me dearly as i was looking at a one month chart!! the yearly chart shows the complete head and shoulders as you point out!!
Thanks for the chart site info....

Apologies, seems I replied to the email sender and not to the thread on this site.

Traderguy, I agree with your description of cautious and aggresive trading but would't an aggressive trader sell just prior to the neckline if his primary indicators are telling him to release a clip.

I am having difficulty determining which stratergy to utilise so any help would be appreciated! Kind of depends on the circumstances but with the H&S we are talking about I would short a few ticks before the neckline. To wait for the break or trade the break?

FYI. I daytrade Euro fx futures- cheers..
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 31 August 2004 07:04
To: Trade2Win Boards Mailer
Subject: Re: Reply to post 'Euro vs USD'

I would be long above 12085/12100 perhaps later today or this week on a bounce and short aggressively on any breaks downwards towards the neckline of the H&S...

spreadboy said:
Apologies, seems I replied to the email sender and not to the thread on this site.

Traderguy, I agree with your description of cautious and aggresive trading but would't an aggressive trader sell just prior to the neckline if his primary indicators are telling him to release a clip.

I am having difficulty determining which stratergy to utilise so any help would be appreciated! Kind of depends on the circumstances but with the H&S we are talking about I would short a few ticks before the neckline. To wait for the break or trade the break?

FYI. I daytrade Euro fx futures- cheers..
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 31 August 2004 07:04
To: Trade2Win Boards Mailer
Subject: Re: Reply to post 'Euro vs USD'

I would be long above 12085/12100 perhaps later today or this week on a bounce and short aggressively on any breaks downwards towards the neckline of the H&S...

Spreadboy,
Short it at any time if your indicators are telling you to. However, if your trading the head and shoulders pattern I would think a break of the neckline would signal a high probability trade. Selling a little before the break of the neckline is like selling just above a support area. Because by definition a support area is an area where the price will have trouble falling below (too many buyers at that price), it is usually a bad idea to short just above one.

Cheers,

TRADERguy

btw- use the cash (spot) chart for these types of patterns; doesn’t matter much now but it will after you roll to Dec.