ETX Capital

Hi et.,
I just wondered if you have any official connection with ETX? If so, please would you edit your profile accordingly. Hovering the cursor over the cash register vendor icon beneath your username - it says you're a vendor of trading literature. Perhaps this is an error?

No. My initials are actually ET and I'm also et. at the DivineComos forum where the join date is 2nd February, which is prior to my join date here. I've written "vendor of trading literature" just in case I ever want to write something about trading and mention it here. I've not got any literature to sell at present time. I'm not even a trader yet.

Also, when you say, "We were told the basics of everything you really need to know", I assume by that you mean everything you need to know to have a broad understanding of the ETX platform and its features - as opposed to everything you need to know in order to trade profitably?

Did not discuss the platform. There is a webinar in a few weeks that goes over the platform. Basically this one confirmed some of my own methods, so you might say it gave me "the basics of everything I already knew." What I already know might not be complete. In fact, I've learned some new things since then.

If you meant the latter, then I fear you might be in for an unpleasant surprise in the weeks and months ahead!
;)
Tim.

I should have mentioned Elliot waves. Did not tell us about those. That's an important omission, however I would say Elliot waves are getting more advanced. You have to be familiar enough with price action to spot them first.

Timesk

It's akin to being given the correct numbers to a six figure combination lock and then having to work out the right order. What I am nigh on 100% certain of is that there's no way someone can decide to become a trader, attend a half day webinar (or even a week long training course for that matter) and then trade profitably from the get go, ad infinitum. At least, I've never heard of anyone doing it - put it that way.

Absolutely agree.

I've observed, trading occasionally, not at ETX, in my spare time for nine months. Every weekend for the last nine months I reviewed what I knew, and concluded I knew it all and next week would show it. The next week showed I didn't and I learned more. The process has continued until this week.

If there's anyone out there who can claim to have achieved such a feat - please come forward and I will gladly retract my post and bow down before you while tendering my humble apologies!
:p
Tim.

You can't beat the monster boss on one life.

I've written "vendor of trading literature" just in case I ever want to write something about trading and mention it here. I've not got any literature to sell at present time. I'm not even a trader yet.
Hi et.,
You're free to do as you please, but I recommend you go about it the other way around and delete the vendor badge from your profile as it gets taken very seriously by some members and any posts you make are liable to be mis-interpreted. If and when you write any trading literature that you wish to unleash on the masses - then you can change your status to vendor.
Tim.

I wouldn't pay to be taught how to trade. Not more than the price of a book, if I was confident it contained stable truths about the market and price action rather than a single "recipe" for trading. I've not bought any such trading book yet because I don't think it exists.

I've proceeded on the basis to learn to trade you need to get through the learning period without going broke. That is what all the advice I read said. Traders learn by their mistakes. They start out by losing as much as winning, then gradually win more. If they have good money management, a trader can then convert their win percentage into a lot of money.

Some people believe they can short cut stage 1 - the learning period - by paying someone to hand them a golden key. There was never any chance I would do anything like that because I knew from background research trading could not be that easy.

If you don't have the discipline to use youtube search and watch free videos and try things you learn from them, don't trade. There are lots of useful videos... I like georgetrio. A lot of very useful videos. He should generate a cult following - you will understand if you have a look at his videos. (Georgetrio is also selling some trading software - I'm not promoting that by mentioning him, never used it and not interested in that. However, he makes clear there is no such thing as a trading robot - golden key - so I suspect this is a legitimate product).

With all this free information out there, anyone who pays anything more than they must to learn... is not being efficient with their use of resources.

Hi et.,
You're free to do as you please, but I recommend you go about it the other way around and delete the vendor badge from your profile as it gets taken very seriously by some members and any posts you make are liable to be mis-interpreted. If and when you write any trading literature that you wish to unleash on the masses - then you can change your status to vendor.
Tim.

Okay thanks, done that. I've never made any pretence to being a successful trader. I added it when signing up because I didn't want to forget it was there, however many months- or years - later I write something.

Hi et.,
I just wondered if you have any official connection with ETX? If so, please would you edit your profile accordingly. Hovering the cursor over the cash register vendor icon beneath your username - it says you're a vendor of trading literature. Perhaps this is an error?

Also, when you say, "We were told the basics of everything you really need to know", I assume by that you mean everything you need to know to have a broad understanding of the ETX platform and its features - as opposed to everything you need to know in order to trade profitably? If you meant the latter, then I fear you might be in for an unpleasant surprise in the weeks and months ahead!
;)
Tim.

HI Tim

et is not a representative of ETX Capital. He is posting his experiences with us, which I am happy for him or anyone else to do, be they positive or negative experiences.

Do we assume someone is connected to each firm they write positive posts about?.... I know we're all getting paranoid in our old age, but this forum hasn't quite gone down the exclusive negative comments only route yet has it?

Tim - spend 45 minutes joining one of the webinars, they're basic by design (we offer more advanced webinars for the more advanced client) but have been proven to be very useful. The feedback we get from people that attend them is excellent.

Good luck

Rob.

HI Tim

et is not a representative of ETX Capital. He is posting his experiences with us, which I am happy for him or anyone else to do, be they positive or negative experiences.

Do we assume someone is connected to each firm they write positive posts about?.... I know we're all getting paranoid in our old age, but this forum hasn't quite gone down the exclusive negative comments only route yet has it?

Tim - spend 45 minutes joining one of the webinars, they're basic by design (we offer more advanced webinars for the more advanced client) but have been proven to be very useful. The feedback we get from people that attend them is excellent.

Good luck

Rob.

Hi Rob,
"Do we assume someone is connected to each firm they write positive posts about?...."
Personally, I give most people the benefit of the doubt. In this instance, I questioned it simply because, at the time, et.'s profile said he was a vendor, (he's since amended his profile), his username is similar to your company name and he wrote a glowing review. He's made his position clear, which is good news for you (ETX) and anyone who subsequently reads et.'s comments. Left unquestioned, subsequent subscribers to the thread could easily have added two plus two and made five.

Perhaps I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here (apologies if that's the case) but, I suspect you think I was having a dig at the ETX webinars? If so, allow me to clarify my views. I don't doubt for one minute that they're very good in so far as they demonstrate how traders might use your platform and charting package to execute their trades. However (please tell me I'm right about this), I assume you don't tell your (prospective) customers that all they need to know in order to make consistent profits is how to use divergence indicators, Fibonnaci lines and pivot points? Because that's what I inferred from et.'s post - hence my comments.
;)
Tim.

Hi Rob,
"Do we assume someone is connected to each firm they write positive posts about?...."
Personally, I give most people the benefit of the doubt. In this instance, I questioned it simply because, at the time, et.'s profile said he was a vendor, (he's since amended his profile), his username is similar to your company name and he wrote a glowing review. He's made his position clear, which is good news for you (ETX) and anyone who subsequently reads et.'s comments. Left unquestioned, subsequent subscribers to the thread could easily have added two plus two and made five.

On previous page in previous post I was very critical. I still think the trading charts are difficult to work with, especially if you are trying to learn, and they apparently want to attract and teach clients who have previously had no trading experience.

Perhaps I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here (apologies if that's the case) but, I suspect you think I was having a dig at the ETX webinars? If so, allow me to clarify my views. I don't doubt for one minute that they're very good in so far as they demonstrate how traders might use your platform and charting package to execute their trades. However (please tell me I'm right about this), I assume you don't tell your (prospective) customers that all they need to know in order to make consistent profits is how to use divergence indicators, Fibonnaci lines and pivot points? Because that's what I inferred from et.'s post - hence my comments.
;)
Tim.

No, they didn't say that and I didn't suggest they did either. If you want to know the kind of things said you could sign up in order to sit-in on the next one?

BTW, here's another criticism of the ETX trade-through charts to please Timsk: apart from not being simple enough for the newbie, there appears to be no Directional Movement indicator. From what I've seen it's very versatile - entry and exit signals, trend strength, volatility, divergence, overbought/oversoldness all on one chart.

BTW, my experience this week... after positive last week, doing what I meant to do, frustrating. I've reverted back to idiot new trader mode. Subconsciously leaning on "let's do what I feel is going to happen" based on "the look of the chart" method, "because I'm a natural psychic trader genius".

I haven't a clue what my "feel the chart is right" method is but I know I have made one trade this week which, on review, didn't conform to my written rules, which in fact would have told me to trade the opposite way. However, at the time, everything was perfect. I remember saying that to myself. It's incredible. A kind of hallucination. It was the easiest trade strategy I have too and I didn't see it and only saw what I wanted to see.

What I think is happening, the rules of my strategy are overloading me and/or I've got lazy. In order to find a clear narrative for what is happening I'm rejecting the indications, which most of the time are in a "no change yet" state, and it's a pain to keep checking whether they've changed, and going with the easy option: how I feel. Totally subjective. The fact you can be right about half-the-time this way means you can slip into this mode-of-thought without realising it.

When people get confident they abandon their discipline and rules so perhaps this is what happened to me after last week.

I've also tried, and failed to add Elliot waves to my strategy. Twice I picked wave 4, not the end of wave 5. Just thinking about the chart in terms of them completely distracts me from my other indications so I'm ignoring them again, until I learn how to identify them better.

A few things I only just noticed this week (it's amazing how something can be staring you in the face for months and the information is not "switched on" so you never "know" it): a rounding bottom (W, not referring to cup pattern ) usually looks quite similar to a rounding top (M). I thought the middle bit would be sharp like it is in the W, but it is often rounded, like a hill in between two valleys. I have mistaken a bottom for a top this way.

I've also begun to notice when you get a W (or an M) you usually soon after get a corrective flag, which is the retest before the trend change.

AND I've noticed that if a trend you are looking at on a timing chart (e.g. 1 minute) is composed of multiple trendlines then a 1 minute break of a trendline will get caught on the next trendline, and it'll probably want to retest or continue the trend. My early thoughts are reversals of established trends need upper chart level signal on the final trendline, if you are to be sure it is going to change.

Hope these comments are interesting insight.

No, they didn't say that and I didn't suggest they did either. If you want to know the kind of things said you could sign up in order to sit-in on the next one?
Hi et.,
I think we're going round in circles here. So, I'll try one last time to clarify the points I've been trying to make as, I suspect, judging by your comments at any rate, I've done a poor job thus far.

I'm not interested in the ETX webinar as such. I don't much care whether its good, bad or indifferent. Equally, I'm not particularly interested in your views of ETX, their webinars, charts, platform or anything else. I don't mean that unkindly; I say it in part because I've been a customer of theirs since 2008 and I like them and think their platform is very good! However, what I do care about is how these things are reported on here and the effect such comments might have on other subscribers to the thread. That's why I chipped in on this discussion - no other reason. In your case, you may not think that ETX told you 'all you need to know' and, moreover, you may not think that's what you said in the post I commented on, but that's how it came across to me. Specifically, it was this comment that I (mis)interpreted: "Better than any youtube video I've seen. We were told the basics of everything you really need to know - divergence indicators, fibonnaci lines, and pivot points" made in this post. What each of us writes in a post and what we hope to get across is often very different to the way it's actually perceived by the person on the other end reading it. I take the view that if I (mis)interpret comments in a particular way - then other people might well do the same. Hopefully, we're all now clear about what everyone else thinks!
;)
Tim.

Hi et.,
I think we're going round in circles here. So, I'll try one last time to clarify the points I've been trying to make as, I suspect, judging by your comments at any rate, I've done a poor job thus far.

I'm not interested in the ETX webinar as such. I don't much care whether its good, bad or indifferent. Equally, I'm not particularly interested in your views of ETX, their webinars, charts, platform or anything else. I don't mean that unkindly; I say it in part because I've been a customer of theirs since 2008 and I like them and think their platform is very good! However, what I do care about is how these things are reported on here and the effect such comments might have on other subscribers to the thread. That's why I chipped in on this discussion - no other reason. In your case, you may not think that ETX told you 'all you need to know' and, moreover, you may not think that's what you said in the post I commented on, but that's how it came across to me. Specifically, it was this comment that I (mis)interpreted: "Better than any youtube video I've seen. We were told the basics of everything you really need to know - divergence indicators, fibonnaci lines, and pivot points" made in this post. What each of us writes in a post and what we hope to get across is often very different to the way it's actually perceived by the person on the other end reading it. I take the view that if I (mis)interpret comments in a particular way - then other people might well do the same. Hopefully, we're all now clear about what everyone else thinks!
;)
Tim.

So Mr ET bearing in mind that you can get all you need for free would you agree that there is absolutely no need for people to pay for training courses from the likes of Greg Secker? That would be a total waste of money would it not?

Hi et.,

;)
Tim.

I was over-excited when I wrote that, and I subsequently admitted, or implied, I was wrong to say "everything you need to know", but I think you are over-reacting if you think people would think I work for them, particularly in the context of my previous posts. I guess my handle could confuse people. I'm really sorry about that but that's a complete coincidence. It's a funny one. ETX and et. (uncapitalised ets and a dot). But it is a coincidence!

Thanks for correcting my mistake earlier.

Last edited:
So Mr ET bearing in mind that you can get all you need for free would you agree that there is absolutely no need for people to pay for training courses from the likes of Greg Secker? That would be a total waste of money would it not?

Yes, I agree to pay for training is a waste of money. That's not to say I agree that anyone who provides training is scamming. People are free to pay for training if they like, and people are free to provide training services. It's my personal opinion they shouldn't use them a) because there is no need there is so much information freely available b) because part of the requirement of trading is a capacity to be self-taught - i.e. adapting to different circumstances and learning from ones errors.

I was over-excited when I wrote that, and I subsequently admitted, or implied, I was wrong to say "everything you need to know", but I think you are over-reacting if you think people would think I work for them, particularly in the context of my previous posts. I guess my handle could confuse people. I'm really sorry about that but that's a complete coincidence. It's a funny one. ETX and et. (uncapitalised ets and a dot). But it is a coincidence!

Thanks for correcting my mistake earlier.

You never sounded like a vendor to me.:)

You never sounded like a vendor to me.:)
Nor me. However, there are people on here who claim they believe that I and my colleagues receive brown envelopes and lord knows what else from companies that advertise on T2W. On that basis, they'll assume that et. is ETX's largest shareholder or the company's CEO or something!
:LOL:

I have been using the new MT4 platform from ETX however it doesnt show all the instruments that it does on online portal? Only Some FX pairs not all?? Is this how its supposed to be?

ETX use metatrader now? I can't seem to see a link to that on their 'platforms' tab on their site?

I have been using the new MT4 platform from ETX however it doesnt show all the instruments that it does on online portal? Only Some FX pairs not all?? Is this how its supposed to be?

Hi Pipsaholic

We have been working on MT4 for a few months now and are quite close to releasing it as a live platform.

The version you have come accross is a demo platform in a demo environment that we are using for testing purposes.

However the offering you see is the offering that will be live. The instrument list is comprehensive, we have 46 FX pairs plus Gold and Silver so I am confident the range we will offer will be a good one.

If you are not sure how to use MT4 or how to see all of the pairs we will be quoting then drop me a PM and I will have someone contact you and talk you through it.

I do not have a final release date for MT4 at the moment.

Have a good week

Rob.

On the "market watch" heading, right click any instrument then tick "show all" option. This should give you every instrument thats available in terms of charting and trading.