Ethereum Vs Bitcoin: Functionality Pro's and Con's

Nowler

Experienced member
1,515 225
Hey folks,

I know very little about Ethereum or Bitcoin, so would appreciate a bit of help from those of you that do.

Apart from it's price and general popularity, which is better in terms of over all function?
What are the Pro's and Con's to each?

It is my understanding that Ethereum was not created to compete with Bitcoin, but rather to compliment it.
It is also my understanding that Ethereum has more applications than what Bitcoin.

So if this is the case, shouldn't the price of Ethereum be higher than Bitcoin? (if it does the same & more)

Thanks in advance

Nowler

Experienced member
1,515 225
So nobody has anything to say in regards to functionality??

Is it because the popularity of Crypto is purely herd mentality, and nobody actually knows the fundamentals of it?

:sneaky:

Nowler

Experienced member
1,515 225
Last bump on this thread before I let it fade to the abyss.

Surely SOMEONE actually knows what Bitcoin & Ethereum are?..

TickCOM

113 18
Etherum is more than just a coin, its a blockchain. Token issuers mostly use Etherum ERC-20. Apart from the blockchain part, its all about liquidity and volatility. Good liquidity and volatility means there is business, and thereby a good place to be.

Chosing which to trade its is also about volatility and liquidity, as below chart with a basket of crypto currencies illustrates - they are all very cointegrated. ETH is the dark blue, BTC is the almost flat green curve having minimal volatility - so one wouldnt trade BTC, but LTC, ETH etc.

basket-20-9-20.jpg

Nowler

Experienced member
1,515 225
Etherum is more than just a coin, its a blockchain. Token issuers mostly use Etherum ERC-20. Apart from the blockchain part, its all about liquidity and volatility. Good liquidity and volatility means there is business, and thereby a good place to be.

Chosing which to trade its is also about volatility and liquidity, as below chart with a basket of crypto currencies illustrates - they are all very cointegrated. ETH is the dark blue, BTC is the almost flat green curve having minimal volatility - so one wouldnt trade BTC, but LTC, ETH etc.

View attachment 286915

Hi,

So Bitcoin is not a blockchain?
If that's the case, then what is the name of the blockchain that Bitcoin uses?

If Bitcoin is just a cryptocurrency, and Ethereum is that PLUS it's a blockchain... then Ethereum must have far more intrinsic value than Bitcoin, right?

MasterOfCoin

Experienced member
1,228 478
Last bump on this thread before I let it fade to the abyss.

Surely SOMEONE actually knows what Bitcoin & Ethereum are?..

Don't you dare let it fade away just yet !!

Yeah. I know, I'm late to the party, but now we can really get swinging.

:)

Reactions: Nowler

Nowler

Experienced member
1,515 225
Don't you dare let it fade away just yet !!

Yeah. I know, I'm late to the party, but now we can really get swinging.

I'm quite late myself :unsure:
I had no interest during the mania.

I'm still not sold on Bitcoin... but Ethereum has piqued my interest.
I'm finding it very difficult to find someone that actually knows what BTC or ETH is...

No shortage of people to tell me about it's price and their predictions on where it's going, but these same people cannot tell me what it is :ROFLMAO:

As far as I can see, ETH has far more benefits than BTC!
BTC is very limited in it's function, whereas ETH can seem to do what BTC can, and then some (i.e Developing applications)

Reactions: MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

Experienced member
1,228 478
So if this is the case, shouldn't the price of Ethereum be higher than Bitcoin? (if it does the same & more)

As with so many things in life, it doesn't work like that.

The price of Bitcoin is largely driven by speculative trading and fluctuates wildly accordingly.
It's best avoided for this reason alone.

Bitcoin was the original (first working cryptocurrency) and therefore gets all the attention and press coverage.
That, as with so many ideas, does not make it the best now.
It'll always be around (we still use candles for lighting after all) but crypto has come a long way since concept and there are now many and much better alternatives to choose from.

Ethereum is the next most valuable by a big margin and there are many applications based on it's blockchain workings, so it's likely to be much more practical to use as an alternative currency in the longer term, not least because the max supply limit of Bitcoins will make them impractical over the longer term.

That'll keep the Bitcoin price high, but make it useless as a currency..... for the same reason that nobody pays for their burger 'n fries in gold. Ethers and other coins will eventually be far more widespread and accepted as a payment method for exactly the same reason.

MasterOfCoin

Experienced member
1,228 478
No shortage of people to tell me about it's price and their predictions on where it's going, but these same people cannot tell me what it is

And they are the same people that won't be able to tell you what money is, 🤣

There are 2 important things about cryptocurrency that make it glaringly different to traditional money.

1/ It's decentralized. There is no bank. Everybody is the bank.

2/ Anyone, anywhere (more or less) can use it.
- You don't have to be over 21, or have a job, or a passport, or an address, or in fact anything more than a cheap smartphone and access to wifi.

..... now you try being part of the pre-crypto global economy if you live in a tent on some remote island !

With Cryptocoins, you can.
You can trade with anyone, instantly, anywhere, basically for free.
(the transactions do incur a fee, but it's so tiny, it's negligible).

There isn't a bank on the planet that even comes remotely close to doing that.

Which is why you won't hear Governments, Regulators, or any of the Established way of doing things Institutions, saying anything nice about Bitcoin. It terrifies them.

Controlling money is power. Bitcoin changes all that.

Not surprising they don't like it.

😀

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock