Entrepreneurial T2W Members

Mikesev

Hi there,

Given that as traders we (I say we, I'm still at the beginnning of my trading journey) probably have a a greater consciousness and appetite for risk than the general population.

An appetite for risk is also often a trait exhibited by entrepreneurs and so I wouldn't be suprised to find an above average number of such people within the trading community. I'm just curious as to what other traders may have delved into in the business world and if they would like to share anecdotes and experience.

In my own case, whilst still a mere babe-in-arms compared to what I perceive to be the average age of a T2W member (I've just turned 21) I've tried my hand at international imports. I spent some time working in China and Hong Kong and with the contacts I made and knowledge I gained I imported LCD Projectors which I sold with moderate success on eBay. Unfortunately I've had to liquidate because I'm entering into my final year at university and time is too limited.

However I have always had an interest in the markets, and with my moderate profits and 21st birthday money burning a hole in my pocket I was about to jump in with both feet. Thankfully I restrained myself and committed to learning as much about what I was entering into before I spent a penny as possible (that experience gained from eBay trading and importing already paying dividends!).

Mikesev said:
Hi there,

Given that as traders we (I say we, I'm still at the beginnning of my trading journey) probably have a a greater consciousness and appetite for risk than the general population.
Consciousness - Yes, appetite - No
Mikesev said:
However I have always had an interest in the markets, and with my moderate profits and 21st birthday money burning a hole in my pocket I was about to jump in with both feet. Thankfully I restrained myself and committed to learning as much about what I was entering into before I spent a penny as possible (that experience gained from eBay trading and importing already paying dividends!).
Beware of the emotional traps - "money burning a hole in my pocket". At least you showed restraint.

Can I ask you what were the range of emotions you were feeling whilst importing and did you go through a full range of potentially emotional experiences i.e. both wins and losses. It's this emotional mind-set that is most likely to wrong-foot you as a trader.

Charlton

Interesting...and I'm sure you're right. Here's a brief synopsis of a Jack of All Trades:
Army (British in case you're wondering)
Defence sales
Commercial Diving
Self-employed Antiques Dealer
Set up own diving business in Caribbean (got out after twelve months - many lessons learned & $$$lost)
Head Hunter (own business bought off receiver - did very well after 5 years, sold share to partners)
Traveller
Importer of Antiques to NZ (closed down when market dived)
Commercial Pilot with own plane leased for profit (Not a Gulfstream or anything exciting :LOL:)
Trader
Throw in a dose of property speculation and development over all the years and there you have it! ;)

Trading still challenges me and I think the fact that I have NOT been successful at it is part of the magnetism! Having been successful at so many different things, albeit in a modest way, has helped to provide the risk tolerance. However, I have found that my level of tolerance for financial risk has surprised even myself! :eek:
Cheers
Quercus
PS - I do NOT consider myself to be entrpreneurial at all, I leave that to the Richard Branson's of this world - I believe I am merely an opportunist who can tolerate risk!