End of Year Tax Reporting

GreyingSurfer

173 0
Yes, but only if I download and keep each day's accounts, which I don't. If I use the monthly or annual statement they give a single rate of exchange per period (presumably for the end of the period?) and I'd need to use another source of rates (such as Oanda) to work back.

However, if I can see that what you mean is to note the rate into my spreadsheet from the statement on a daily basis with my other record keeping, which looks like a pretty good idea. I'll start doing that.

frugi

1,827 126
http://www.maxtrader.net/TwsAutoTrack/index.html

This might be handy. Certainly makes one's position easier to understand than the IB statements, though costs $195.

Just received my first monthly statement and I'm not quite sure what the "Gain/Loss Prior Open Future Positions" section is all about. The previous section "Futures US" makes sense and contains the majority of my trades, but I don't understand why some trades were omitted from this section and put in "Gain/Loss Prior Open Future Positions" despite them all being opened/closed in December as well. Dare say I'll figure it out eventually!

GreyingSurfer

173 0
Frugi

Prior Open Positions are positions open overnight. It does not mean positions open before the start of the accounting period.

hampy

276 5
Folks, Just looked at today's replies and the IR links posted by Frugi yesterday.
At a guess the accountant and tax inspector I spoke with were not aware of the last link suggesting that futures/options profits may be treated as capital gains.
Just when I thought I had it sorted, back to square 1
Skim, I knew I should have listened when a similar thread came up a couple of months ago. It would appear you were right all along.
Just to complicate matters further I now have to consider whether the best option would be to set up as a business in my wife's name or as a partnership. She has recently been made redundant and from the 2004/5 tax year will have those unused allowances going begging.
Anyway I guess this is all a bit premature As I've no idea whether I will be able to make decent profits from trading or not.
Any advice much appreciated!
cheers,
hampy

theknifemac

340 0
hampy

not sure if it will apply to you but the IR is starting to look into so called husband and wife companies which are setup to take advantage of a spouse's tax allowance. The revenue started off by going after people contracting through a limited company and paying a small salary and large dividends - IR35 and are now broadening it to other situations where a company structure has been used to minimise the tax hit on individuals.

Apparently this new legislation or rulings can be retrospective.

Mac

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock