Effect on currencies given $ intervention

notango

First post, BTW. Here goes:

I'm starting to entertain the idea of a $ intervention by the G-7 nations. What would the effect be on other currencies vis-a-vis the dollar. What if they were a large trading partner? What if they weren't a trading partner at all?

For example, ECB, BOE, and BoJ intervene by buying US$ and selling their respective currencies. What would the effect be on the Brazilian Real? The Russian Ruble? TheCanadian Dollar? Would they all drop against the $ because the $ has gotten broadly stronger? Or would each have it's own unique response and if so, what issues would it be dependent upon?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Personally, I would just see it as a great opportunity to short $. I think that commodity currencies will continue to do well and any intervention blips will be smacked down as easy money. M3, although not published anymore, is growing very fast but the days when you could sustain an economy by dropping $ out of helicopters is over and we are paying the price through hyperinflation.
If theoretically the $ was bought through intervention then all other crosses would move with the majors and would be then seen as easy pickings for the specs.