Early Call Assignment - Ex-Dividend Date

AngryErik

13 0
Hi there, I'm trying to make sure I've got this right. It'll suck that I hadn't thought of this, but I guess that's life.

I sold a strangle on a nice stable stock... 2 days left till close, and it is sitting right in the middle of my strikes.

I got assigned on the call last night... I'm now short on the shares. Ex-Div date is today, March 13th.

I covered the put and the shares at a reduced profit, but my interest is the dividend, which will effectively give me a small loss if I'm to pay it by being short.

As I understand it, the Ex-Date is based on market close (after extended hours, yes?) and so since I'm now flat, I won't have to pay the dividend. Right? Would this be better suited in a different sub-forum? I ended up in the position due to an option, but I could easily see this being a question about dividends rather than options - my appologies if so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock