Dow And S+p Cash Indexes

ANDRE17

Hi . I use scottrade, quote.com and Prophet.com and find there are gaps in the data that need backfills. Can someone recommend a cheap source of live data for these markets please. Im only interested in the cash prices not so much futures and not individual shares. thank you

hi there, do you have to have an account with scott trade to get the streaming charts? I think they may have changed its recently as previously you only had to register with them.

also, what are back fills? I thought scott was great for a freebie but defo a second or two delay on the actual future price. I will let you know if I find a good cheap feed. thinking of tiasling the yahoo one as I don't need a massive charting package or data feed.

cheers

D

DIN said:
hi there, do you have to have an account with scott trade to get the streaming charts? I think they may have changed its recently as previously you only had to register with them.

also, what are back fills? I thought scott was great for a freebie but defo a second or two delay on the actual future price. I will let you know if I find a good cheap feed. thinking of tiasling the yahoo one as I don't need a massive charting package or data feed.

cheers

D

I opened an account free with them by registering only but its not too reliable. Backfills are -- when data is missing you subscribe to another feed provider and you use that one to hopefully fill the missing gaps -- alot of this US data seems to have gaps ! dont know why . Dont think Yahoo is live but I may be wrong-- or you have to refresh all the time

no, there is a subscription service that that you pay $10 oa month for that provides streaming quotes.

Gaps in US data

ANDRE17 said:
I . Backfills are -- when data is missing you subscribe to another feed provider and you use that one to hopefully fill the missing gaps -- alot of this US data seems to have gaps ! dont know why .

Not sure here what you mean when you say a lot of US data seems to have gaps. I haven't experienced any noticeble gaps in US data, could you give me an example of the sort of thing you're talking about.

roguetrader said:
Not sure here what you mean when you say a lot of US data seems to have gaps. I haven't experienced any noticeble gaps in US data, could you give me an example of the sort of thing you're talking about.

hi- e.g when you look at a 5 min chart or 1 min on quote.com for the dow live price there are gaps in the chart-- not the opening gap where some of the "ticks" are missing for several minutes-- same with quotetracker--- i use scottrade and prophet.net as backfill but often the chart has missing data so use backfill which usually works and completes the chart but not always !!! i

Ok Andre understand what you're saying, i used to get problems like that when I had a dial up connection, in that case it was too much information, not enough bandwidth., in those instances quotes might be slightly delayed or the odd bar might be dropped on a chart if I was running too many charts. Very rarely have problems with decent connection.