Do you have an "edge" in your trading?

Yes still trying to master Caps Lock
You can guess where that leaves my trading

O YES and the answer is no although I believe I may be getting married in September!
Does that qualify?

new trader obviously knows how to trade (markets are definately NOT random)
Most traders who state that most of the movements in the market are noise (hahaha),..are extremely deluded !! (and also tend to parrot what they hear, rather than individual investigation)

It rather depends. Stupid people parrot it. People of middling ability (but who think rather more highly of themselves) realise it is orders that drive the market, and such orders have a myriad of motives.

Intelligent traders understand that that is what was meant by the initial statement in the first place.

To be honest with you i have a great edge on the market. And the best way to keep an edge is to not to tell anyone about it. my edge is percise signals on the markets from all charts and that good enough for me. i say it as this, as long as i see the trades you dont see i have an edge. when a person can antisapte what 90% of the market traders will do he/she has an edge. that what keeps a person winning in his or her trades. the signals you use can make you or break you as the market turns and speeds up and slows down.

Yes still trying to master Caps Lock
You can guess where that leaves my trading

O YES and the answer is no although I believe I may be getting married in September!
Does that qualify?

That's an altruistic gesure to your partner although sometimes it can feel like imprisonment.

Congrats :clap:

It rather depends. Stupid people parrot it. People of middling ability (but who think rather more highly of themselves) realise it is orders that drive the market, and such orders have a myriad of motives.

Intelligent traders understand that that is what was meant by the initial statement in the first place.

swivel !!

I am constantly asked about my edge and found that I have trouble articulating it, if indeed I have one. I've perused many trading forums and mailing lists and find that there is, at best, a mushy definition of an edge.

Perhaps I can get a better handle on the concept if I had a concrete example. I'd appreciated it if some here can provide an example of a trading strategy that has an edge, describe that edge and how it's exploited.

Thanks in advance for your efforts to educate me.

The absolute best edge you can have is successful money management. This includes staying out of the market when you don't recognize what it is doing and, on short-term trades, avoiding "expanding ranges" where the pips moves are large swings in either direction one-after-the-other.

Good luck!

Wouldn't you say that the smaller the TF you use you eventually get to the place where price is simply random movement/noise?

Kin ell dunno fer fooks sake mate bud :whistling. Its not rocket science tbh cba bud bless...;)

And no, I would not call the lower time frames random noise. I'd be surprised if anyone who made money trading thought that they were. Those that claim to and don't, on the other hand, I can easily see why they might take comfort from the thought that market movements are random noise...bless ;)

New avatar it is then.

Hey Howard,

I was bored today waiting around for a reason to exit a sweet, sweet NQ trade today (a sweet and easy trade), and for a laugh I looked on facebook for Howard Cohodas. Lo and behold! There you were. Now I feel a bit bad for having a go at you all the time, I think off this forum we'd get on really well. I imagine we'd agree on a lot of things.

So I'm going to leave you alone from now on, stay out of your thread, let you get on with things. I hope you iron out any wrinkles in your method and it works out for you. :) I still think you need to work on your debating skills, but no matter, you won't hear any more from me.

It's an orangutan. You'll be calling the Librarian a monkey next.

I knew it... something in my brain told me "that's not a gorilla, it's something else" but I didn't reach the right word.

It was only about six months ago that I finally worked out the difference between tortoise and turtle, I must have been off the day they explained that at school.

The absolute best edge you can have is successful money management. This includes staying out of the market when you don't recognize what it is doing and, on short-term trades, avoiding "expanding ranges" where the pips moves are large swings in either direction one-after-the-other.

Good luck!

I think thats a massive point to make. When to be in the market and when to sit on the sidelines. There are plenty of times where you have a view on the market and you know you have the perfect setup in any given month, so there is no rush to look for a trade at the start of the month. Every setup goes into drawdown at some stage and it lasts days, weeks or months depending on how you trade and when you're going through the drawdown period i'm sure many overtrade trying make back the losses and the only way you can get through these periods is just stick to it, look back at the end of the year, see your up 20,30,50% and say to yourself i'm going about this in the right way. Look at journal thread Spreadbetting Using TA. That's disciplined trading.

Last edited: