Do gamblers make good traders and vice versa?

Mohican

hi,

Many people think that market trading likened to gambling but I do not think so.The question is does winning gamblers make better traders or vice versa?

Mohican said:
hi,

Many people think that market trading likened to gambling but I do not think so.The question is does winning gamblers make better traders or vice versa?

I don't think that being a good gambler automatically makes you a good trader, but as a good gambler you know how to manage risk, which is a useful asset in trading.

Being a good gambler doesn't make you a good trader, but you'll probably turn profitable faster than the average novice.

If you do a search here on T2W you'll probably find more threads about this...

-Skog

"The question is does winning gamblers make better traders or vice versa?"

There is a great difference between gamblers and winning gamblers. Both take part in an event or process but the latter only when they believe they are going to make a profit.
A winning gambler will not put real money at risk to learn the basics of trading if they can paper/demo trade. When they are confident that they will make a profit, then they will risk their money.

"Many people think that market trading likened to gambling but I do not think so."

It is the same. You make an opinion and risk money. It's how and when you play the game that counts.
Are you a trader or a winning trader?
Are you a gambler or a winning gambler?

Happy Trading :)

Mohican said:
The question is does winning gamblers make better traders or vice versa?
I'd like to think so, but I suspect the reality is that there are so few winning gamblers that it's not really possible for anyone to tell convincingly. But I suppose it depends on exactly what you're defining as "gambling". (Some people think that most forms of trading equate to gambling.)

I think an associated question is far easier to answer: losing gamblers are quite likely to make pretty bad traders. :)

i think the turtle traders were gamblers trust me, read up. and they all apart from a few who could follow instructions make big money.
its all about money management.

If someone has the capabilities required to be a winning gambler they have acquired some of the capabilities of a winning trader. How many and which capabilities will depend on the game they have mastered.

As always in these sorts of threads, it depends on your definition of "gambler" - there's a big difference between a professional gambler (e.g. a consistently profitable poker player, with a clear edge, who adheres to strict risk management) and a gambling addict. It's not rocket science to guess which kind of gambler has more potential to become a trader.

professional gamblers, ie: card counters in blackjack and poker players can make good money. The rest will lose out due to the house edge, ive never heard of a professional roulette player but maybe im wrong.

If you treat trading like gambling, u would be doomed to lose.

Trading is said to be sophisticated gambling
I believe is not