Diary of a swing spread better

And a belated Happy Birthday to you!. If you drop by Bush House, I'll buy you a beer mate!

H

hungvir said:
And a belated Happy Birthday to you!. If you drop by Bush House, I'll buy you a beer mate!

H

Thanks mate.....

btw Maybe at some point in the future a few of us who live near to each other should meet up for a few beers..........

:cheesy:

Why not. And we can forget about trading and concentrate on the beers :)

Hope the market gave you a big cake :)

H

hungvir said:
...........................With regards to going ex-dividend, I have always thought that the price would drop on the day and a short would have more chance of success? .........................

Hung

hung

i wish - read the small print, the price is adjusted.

good trading

jon

ps: i've got the drop on my good lady so far this year. ;)

Split,

If your pocket is deep enough (I am sure it is :)), then you'll see it going your preferred way soon. Call me a fortune teller :)

H

Last edited:
I get it now hung,

As for being gloomy, (i know it sounds like I'm just saying now cause the market turned) I was starting to feel like I got out my short trade too song and that going long was a bad idea (stopped out now so it must have been).

Now I'm stuck, 11000 is a long term support price to go in long at but I cant bring myself to pull the trigger on it Some one on this board said 'dont try to catch falling knives' and its stuck in my head so i may just sit the rest of this week out to regain my composure.

Happy trading all

Elefteros said:
Now I'm stuck, 11000 is a long term support price to go in long at but I cant bring myself to pull the trigger on it Some one on this board said 'dont try to catch falling knives' and its stuck in my head so i may just sit the rest of this week out to regain my composure.

Happy trading all

That's sensible.

I really don't like long price bars (anything more than 70-100 points for the FTSE or the DOW). I do want the market to go up a bit more so that a short has more potential but I am not sure how much it can go up before the bears start dragging it down again.

Best,

Hung

The devil makes work for idle hands, :devilish:

Just trew caution to the wind and went long at 11015 but with a tighter stop 11615 50 pts instead of 100, if this one gets stopped then i'll stay out.

Then i came in here and saw your post so if i was being sencible before only god knows what i'm doing now. :-0

Good luck!

If I trade now, I would bet on the long side as well. But as I do not trade against the trend, I just stay out of it. But a rally after a week of heavy correction is... sensible :)

hungvir said:
Good luck!

If I trade now, I would bet on the long side as well. But as I do not trade against the trend, I just stay out of it. But a rally after a week of heavy correction is... sensible :)

Yes,. but, WHEN, though? I went long on NRK the day before yesterday.....

Split

Nice pullback on the DOW yesterday, for those that trade it, and it did not end the day on a very optimistic note after the intraday was finished.

Split

With GUS showing a nice series of downward bars duringfor the last nine days I have shorted at
950, which is near the top of yesterday's range.

Split

Closed GUS at 960.9. New high for the day. With Footsie recovering it may not be a good idea to short , especially after yesterday! While I was typing this, it went up another ten points, although it is off the top now. That shows that, once the trader's reason for opening has been found wrong it doesn't pay to hang around waiting for a recovery.

My reason for opening was fine as long as the 956 high was not broken and I was on a mental stop which cost a few points to close the trade- plus spread.

Split

split

gus results day today wasn't it - always dodgy? isn't life perverse - it's the only bit of blue on my screen at the moment.

good trading

jon

barjon said:
split

gus results day today wasn't it - always dodgy? isn't life perverse - it's the only bit of blue on my screen at the moment.

good trading

jon

Didn't look :eek:

I seem to be posting that Smiley a bit too much lately!

Split

:eek: it's all a bit too wild and woolly for me at the moment - things like xta up 100 points and down again etc.

i suppose if you're fast fingered you're coining it, but i'm just an old slowcoach :confused:

good trading

jon

If you can't coin it, who can, Jon? :)

By the way, I still did not get it that share price does not drop the day it goes ex-divident. Isn't it true that you don't get the divident if you buy the stock after that day and as thus you're entittled for a discount?

best,

Hung

P.S should my congratulations go to you or your wife in the trading contest ? :)

barjon said:
split

good trading

jon

And MKS's figure was out yesterday. It dropped 30 points at one point as you know. It is tricky to trade on days like that.

Splitlink said:
Yes,. but, WHEN, though? I went long on NRK the day before yesterday.....

Split

Didn't you get something out of it yesterday when the FTSE went up 140 points plus? But it's down more than 100 points this morning. As I stay true to the rule of only shorting when the price starts to come down again after three up day, I did not short it.

Good trading,

Hung