Dentists

If not done properly, removal of mercury can be many more times more dangerous than installation. As the clips in this thread reveal.

WTF type of idea was it to put mercury in peoples mouths for anyway :mad: Duh! :rolleyes::eek::-0:(:cry::devilish:

I must have a word with Gordon the next time i see him..

Last edited:
This is the future available right now already, no more drilling necessary:

Miracle Ozone Dentistry - A New Anti-Decay Dental*Practice

Plus laser scanners so you don't need those dreadful, nauseating imprints ever again, I really always felt like throwing up earlier with those things in your mouth.

CEREC by Sirona: The Leading CAD/CAM Technology for Dental Practices - Product Information - For Patients

Ah.

Nothing like good developments eh.

I've always been disciplined about going regularly and getting professional cleanings and prophylaxis and all, but these new things are very welcome indeed !

This is the future available right now already, no more drilling necessary:

Miracle Ozone Dentistry - A New Anti-Decay Dental*Practice

Plus laser scanners so you don't need those dreadful, nauseating imprints ever again, I really always felt like throwing up earlier with those things in your mouth.

CEREC by Sirona: The Leading CAD/CAM Technology for Dental Practices - Product Information - For Patients

Ah.

Nothing like good developments eh.

I've always been disciplined about going regularly and getting professional cleanings and prophylaxis and all, but these new things are very welcome indeed !

M, Have you had ceramic fillings and dnetal ozone treatment?

If so, do ceramic fillings last longer in your experience?

And how much more expensive is a ceramic dental restoration of a tooth compared to a white filling, at your dentists?

Do you visit a holistic dentist?

Cheers.

As a guide, a quick google search revealed these prices -
::white fillings::

We can replace your old amalgam fillings with composite or ceramic fillings. Modern white fillings are hard wearing and aesthetic. They also do not contain mercury, which has been linked to health scares. The choice of material is based upon the size, so please discuss it with your dentist.

The cost is from £40 to £120 for composite and £350 for ceramic.

Canni win with medicine sometimes. Take awa one unhealthy/toxic effect - replace it with another...

Besides these dental ozone places tending to use fluoride (another highlytoxic compound) as part of the treatment......

Ozone Fact Sheet - American Lung Association site

How does ozone harm the body?

Ozone attacks lung tissue by reacting chemically with it, called “oxidizing.”2 Ozone acts as a powerful irritant at the levels frequently found across the nation. Some compare this to getting a “sunburn” on the lungs.
New research has confirmed that breathing ozone over a short period can increase the risk of premature death. This includes levels found in cities around the U.S. and in Europe.3
Many areas in the United States have enough ground-level ozone during the summer months to cause health problems that can be felt right away. Immediate problems are:
o
shortness of breath
o
chest pain when inhaling deeply
o
wheezing and coughing
o
increased susceptibility to respiratory infections
o
inflammation of the lungs and airways
o
increased risk of asthma attacks
o
increased need for medical treatment and hospital admission for people with lung diseases, like asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).4
Animal toxicology studies have shown that long-term exposure to high levels of ozone can cause structural changes to the lungs.5

Perhaps white fillings will be enough for me. Or maybe just until i can afford ceramic ones ;).

mounth feels good today. No phonecalls from the dentists so i rekon i got away with a bargain. Injection hurted more than i remember though, lol.

Yes it does take a few days for the sensitivity levels to drop after a filling - makes sense - you have had part of your tooth amputated!

M, Have you had ceramic fillings and dnetal ozone treatment?

If so, do ceramic fillings last longer in your experience?

And how much more expensive is a ceramic dental restoration of a tooth compared to a white filling, at your dentists?

Do you visit a holistic dentist?

Cheers.

Hi sorry just caught this, ceramics is absolutely best where it's visible, otherwise gold holds longest, eg all the way at the back where it's invisible.

Yup, done the heal ozone thing and it's great (only on the tooth in a vacuum), as is the cerex stuff where you don't do imprints any more, but where they scan instead, and where the new filling is made immediately as opposed to having to wait a week like earlier.

Great stuff.

Holistic, yup, way to go.

How much more that is I dunno, insurance covers all of that.

Mad as a Hatter | Young Scientists
the phrase, “Mad as a Hatter” finds it’s origins in a story of serious human suffering.

In the early 19th century felt hat production soared. The cheaper hats where fashioned from rabbit fur which where roughened, to make them feel like the more expensive beaver fur, with a mixture of mercury compounds, the inhalation of which resulted in a condition the workers developed that has been dubbed mad hatters syndrome. Workers experienced symptoms of both a physical and mental nature. The physical ranging from trembling to a loss of teeth and the mental ranging from mood swings to fading memory.

Tubulin Molecule But how does a mercury compound cause such drastic symptoms? Essentially the main constituent of the mixture was mercury vapour (HgO) this releases mercury ions in to the brain which subsequently causes neural degeneration and it is this which I am going to explain. These mercury compounds inhibit the growth of neurones by stopping the polymerisation of a protein called tubulin and so to understand the way mercury ions affects the brain we need to understand the function and method of polymerisation of this protein. Tubulin is in fact made up of two subunits called the ?-subunit and ?-subunit these bind spontaneously after synthesis and once the two are bonded the unit is called a tubulin hetrodimer, and is shown in Figure 2.

You can see the two distinct separate subunits with the ?-subunit on the top. In figure 2 two pink molecules are clearly visible in the protein. This pink section is actually a molecule called Guanosine triphosphate (or GTP). The GTP molecule has the potential, like ATP, to be hydrolysed and give a diphosphate as well as releasing energy. However due to the structure of the protein only the GTP unit of the ?-subunit has the ability to be hydrolysed to GDP (Guanosine diphosphate) and release energy. Tubulin uses this release of energy to bind one tubulin hetrodimer to another, but as only the GTP can be used from the ?-subunit, when the proteins polymerise they line up with the ?-subunit of one tubulin binding to the ?-subunit of another creating a long chain called a protofilament (show in figure 3). These chains fold up and form cylindrical filaments often as a helix.A Protofilament

A MicrotubalThese are called microtubules, and play a pivotal role in every cell in nearly every living organism. They grow and shrink, by altering nature of the polymerisation of tubulin, carrying out essential functions in every cell. They are integral to cell division and play a role in moving thing around the inside of a cell often encapsulated in a bubble of membrane.

These microtubules (shown in figure 4) play a vital role in the way the brain works. In the brain microtubules provide the support for the 3D structure or cytoskeleton of a neurone, as well as tubulin, this cytoskeleton is made up by another protein called actin. In figure 5 you can see a growth cone of a neurone where actin has been stained red and tubulin has been stained green. The growth cones extend, by the polymerisation of tubulin, towards other neurones.

Their growth is coordinated by an extremely complex system of chemical direction in the surrounding matrix. These guide the growth cones to other neurones where they form synapses. And it is this interaction between brain cells and formation of synapses that allows the passage of electrical impulses and subsequently allows the brain to work by A growth conemoving these messages about. If a neurone was unable to extend a growth cone, and then as a consequence unable to find a synaptic partner, it would be rendered useless and this is afflictively how mercury ions disrupt a neurone. In figure 6 you can see how drastically the addition of mercury causes a growth cone to become dysfunctional. A growth cone before exposure and 120 then 240 seconds after exposure to extremely high Hg concentrations.

We can explain this returning back to the structure of tubulin. Mercury binds to the ?-subunit where GTP should be, displacing it and thus altering the structure of the protein. This means there is no GTP to release energy needed for hetrodimers to bond to one another so tubulin cannot polymerise, as the polymerisation is dependant on the release of this energy to allow the breaking and reforming of bonds.

As a consequence of this microtubules can’t grow. This means the cytoskeleton collapses and growth cones loose their structure, the growth cones can’t extend themselves as directed by chemical instructions. So synapses cannot form and consequentially electrical impulses aren’t passed between adjacent neurones. As parts of the brain become incapable of working to the necessary level, the symptoms of mad hatter’s syndrome become apparent.

Outside of felt hat production mercury compounds still poses health issues, the best example of this being tooth fillings. Despite not bringing out the elaborate characteristics Lewis Carroll portrays in Alice in wonderland, in high concentrations mercury can cause the extirpation of microtubules thus resulting in seriously problematic malfunctioning of parts of the brain.

As mad as a hatter
As mad as a hatter

Meaning

Completely mad. This is now commonly understood to mean crazy, although the original meaning is unclear and may have meant annoyed.

Origin

Mercury used to be used in the making of hats. This was known to have affected the nervous systems of hatters, causing them to tremble and appear insane. A neurotoxicologist correspondent informs me that "Mercury exposure can cause aggressiveness, mood swings, and anti-social behaviour.", so that derivation is certainly plausible - although there's only that circumstantial evidence to support it.

The use of mercury compounds in 19th century hat making and the resulting effects are well-established - mercury poisoning is still known today as 'Mad Hatter's disease'. That could be enough to convince us that this is the source of the phrase. The circumstantial evidence is rather against the millinery origin though and, beyond the fact that hatters often suffered trembling fits, there's little to link hat making to the coining of 'as mad as a hatter'.

The earliest known printed citation of the phrase that I know of is from Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, January-June 1829. It appears in a section of the magazine headed Noctes Ambrocianæ. No. XL1V, in a fictional conversation between a group of characters that wouldn't have been out of place in Wonderland:

NORTH: Many years - I was Sultan of Bello for a long period, until dethroned by an act of the grossest injustice ; but I intend to expose the traitorous conspirators to the indignation of an outraged world.
TICKLER (aside to SHEPHERD.): He's raving.
SHEPHERD (to TICKLER.): Dementit.
ODOHERTY (to both.): Mad as a hatter. Hand me a segar.

The expression appears again (twice) soon afterwards, in a book by the Canadian author Thomas Haliburton - The clockmaker; or the sayings and doings of Samuel Slick of Slickville, 1835:

"And with that he turned right round, and sat down to his map and never said another word, lookin' as mad as a hatter the whole blessed time."

&

"Father he larfed out like any thing; I thought he would never stop - and sister Sall got right up and walked out of the room, as mad as a hatter. Says she, Sam, I do believe you are a born fool, I vow."

There's no explanation of the phrase in Haliburton's book to help us infer any sort of derivation - there's certainly no mention of poisoning or anything else to relate it to the practice of hat making.

as mad as a hatterWhilst not being the source of the phrase, we can't mention 'as mad as a hatter' and leave out Lewis Carroll. His 'Hatter' character from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865) is of course the best-known mad hatter of them all. The Hatter is not actually described as mad in the story - merely a participant at 'a mad tea-party' - although he can hardly be called sane.

It would also be remiss to leave out the fact that mercury, which we now know to be highly toxic, was used in the manufacture of hats. Hatters commonly suffered from 'hatter's shakes', a form of nerve damage which gave symptoms similar to Parkinson's Disease and which is still known today as 'Mad Hatter's Syndrome'. A neurotoxicologist correspondent of mine has put forward the view that hatters could have been mad in either or both of the 'angry' or 'insane' senses. He states that "Mercury exposure can cause aggressiveness, mood swings, and anti-social behaviour. It is therefore likely that the mercury in hat making did lead to 'mad' hatters both in terms of rationality and plain old grumpiness."

Last edited:
yes,the mercury / a minute amount leaches out into the saliva.it then gets absorbed into the bodily fluids.it will then interfere with most enzymes and inhibit many biochemical fuunctions.hence,its toxicity.the substance is not metabolised and not excreted

mercury and its salts can be got rid of
vitamin c is a chelating agent for mercury.high doses of vitamin will bind to the mercury and allow it to be excreted in the urine

Vitamin C is great stuff. Can be used for so many things.

Do you use mercury fillings on your clients/victims/customers?

i don't think dental nurses get much more than minimum wage!

-
I just looked it up on NHS website- they get from £14k for trainee to £20 for experienced. Still not so great, hehe.